Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Shopping Trolley Ettiquete
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Shopping Trolley Ettiquete
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer
Shopping Trolley Ettiquete Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Okay, There must be unwritten rules (not just in Australia )for shopping trolley ettiquete.

- follow the flow of traffic, up one side down the other side (not down the middle with family and friend either side so no one can pass)(or against the flow of traffic)
- if you are slow, expect others to pass you
- if you stop to get something or need to think about it , pull your trolley to one side and align yourself with the trolley or shelves (do not complain if you get bumped by a trolley cause you are standing in the flow of traffic or in the middle of the aisle)
- if someone said "excuse me" usually indicates they want to pass or are trying to get your attention (not look at them, ignore them, like they are something you stepped on)(or complain if you get "heeled" by a trolley cause your in someones way)
- give way to the elderly, impaired, people with children, children in general (not make the elderly get out of YOUR way)
- don't just stop in the middle of the suppermarket with your trolley just anyway you pleases, especially if it near the check-out and not expect to get " told off"
- try and line up in an orderly fashion at the check-out without impeding the flow of traffic- and if the line moves , move with it, if someone jumps in your space in the line, perhaps it was because you didn't look like you were in it.
- We do not need to hear all the shawdid details of what you did last night, with how, how many times, who's doing who, and if they know and what your family history is, or how interesting you think your life is, while you are on the phone, with a friend etc - VOLUME CONTROL people, if we really thought our lives were so boring and yours were more interesting, ...We would ease-drop.. we come to shop, the gossip magazines at the counter are for that purpose.

Okay,
Yes I'm still sick, I Have little patients at the moment, the only think holding me up today was the shopping trolley, the only reason I went out was to get dog food and more throat soothers.
But, courtesy people,
a basic human lesson
I made sure I was showered, clean cloth (no slippers, no tracksuit pants), brushed teeth, brushed hair, I may have looked like sh*t, but I made a small effort to look and apprear presentable for what should have been less than half an hours trip into general population, and I did cover my mouth and nose when I had a coughing fit (unlike others)

I'm going back to bed and taking the dogs with me...

No new posts 23-06-2010 03:55 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Littlewolf. HEAR, HEAR!!!

I work in a supermarket and completely agree with everything you've written.

And on behalf of the supermarket employees, thank you for not turning up in PJs and bare feet. Yes, it happens and far more often than you would realise... Enough that it seems to be a pet peeve among the people I work with.

No new posts 23-06-2010 04:08 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Understand, fella. Over in the US we call them 'shopping carts' instead of trolley, but the unwritten rules and the jerks who don't follow them are much the same.

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

No new posts 23-06-2010 04:10 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

And one that irks me: once you reach the check-out line, do NOT leave your companion minding the cart while you run off to either get something you forgot or put back something you don't want.

or

Once you reach the check-out line, do NOT send your companion off. ESPECIALLY if you're thisclose to the register.

(My mother was pretty bad about both.)

No new posts 23-06-2010 04:21 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

A particular peeve of mine is people who just ditch their shopping carts, wherever, in the parking lots when they're leaving, instead of taking them back up the store front or putting them in the "cart corrals." So many times, I've been in the act of turning into an (apparently) empty parking space, only to have to stop, back up, and find another one because it's obstructed by an abandoned shopping cart.

No new posts 23-06-2010 06:02 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

*snigger* I'm loving this thread!

Seriously.

A couple of years ago, a few of the girls and I at work came up with the Ten Commandments for Customers.

I really wish I had a copy of it to share. We really went to town...

No new posts 23-06-2010 06:24 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

My three year old daughter had a kids shopping trolley in Coles supermarket yesterday while we shopping. I think they're a great idea....everyone got out of her way when they saw a 3yr girl old giggling and running down the aisle towards them at a rapid rate of knots with kids chips and a few other things she manages to pick up at her level...calling out enthusatically,"Mummy...mummy I shopping too!"

So where does the kids shopping trolly's fit into the ettique???? LOL!

No new posts 23-06-2010 11:01 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

Registration Date: 22-04-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
A particular peeve of mine is people who just ditch their shopping carts, wherever, in the parking lots when they're leaving, instead of taking them back up the store front or putting them in the "cart corrals." So many times, I've been in the act of turning into an (apparently) empty parking space, only to have to stop, back up, and find another one because it's obstructed by an abandoned shopping cart.

I agree with you on this one LB.

The cart corral is 2 spaces away and they can not be bothered to return it. A minor issue with the Corrals ... push the cart all the way to the back. Then when there are 10 carts in the corral they do not stick out into the parking lot forcing drivers to drive around the ones sticking out.

No new posts 23-06-2010 11:29 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by green
*snigger* I'm loving this thread!

Seriously.

A couple of years ago, a few of the girls and I at work came up with the Ten Commandments for Customers.

I really wish I had a copy of it to share. We really went to town...

Look it up see if one of the other girls still has it ... or remembers it. I would love to see what you wrote. I wonder how many I have broken?

No new posts 23-06-2010 11:30 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Okay, I feel better now (nothing like a nap with three warm dogs fighting for bed space)

Only 10 Commandments for customers? (maybe to many would confuse them ) (oowwh how catty of me)need more sleep)
would love to hear them if your can find them!!!

Green ....sorry I have been guilty of PJ and bare feet at some stage (usually late at night when you do a drive-thru take away run)_ but NEVER again , besides bare feet on the floors , bit unhygeinice/ and cold

Ebonyswanne - my motto - always give way to children, especially with those shopping trolleys, they are small, having fun and are not realy interested in what others/strangers are doing (other than their parents attention) let them enjoy their play
(secretly I'm jealouse, I want to run wild in the supermarket and ride in the trolleys (ops guilty of that , bit rough on the knees and hard when your trolley pusher looses control of the trolley on a ramp, , picture me one the ground still in trolley , sideways , wheels still spinning, surrounded by food, but I digress that was months ago))

and yes... put your trolley in the space provided the corral, for those who have had scratches on their car from trolleys , do it
Ps take your rubbish out first, don't leave it for the trolley people to do (that's just lazy)

No new posts 23-06-2010 12:50 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I can't believe the PJs and bare feet! I'll admit that occasionally I've had insomnia in the middle of the night (2 am or so) and gone to the 24 hour supermarket. I'd put on super minimal makeup, and throw something on *over* my PJs. But definitely clothes and shoes on my feet. And that's the middle of the night!!!!!!

What are these people thinking?

Of course, right now it's trendy for girls to wear these flannel pants with t-shirts, and the whole outfit *looks* like PJs. Or is that 'last year' and I'm out of it already? Can you tell I'm not a fashionista?

No new posts 23-06-2010 14:02 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Those outfits may look like jammies, but 'outside' clothing usually doesn't look quite the same (to me) as genuine bed clothing.

One of my all-time favorite inventions is the shopping cart with seats for small children attached. They tend to be a little more awkward, but way to cut down on the distractions! Even when the kids act up, they're right in front of you. Of course, now my kids are 8 and 10, so I don't use them anymore, but I was really glad they were available.

Kid carts are cute. And the parents should be minding their little ones; it's a lovely opportunity to teach them good manners.

No new posts 23-06-2010 16:06 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

I may have worn sweat pants a few times. I don't remember. I usually stop off on my way home from work.

Bare feet? Ick. At least wear flip-flops, people.

No new posts 23-06-2010 22:31 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

When i worked for BNT. (Equivent of Victoria's secrets in Aust) We had PJ day twice a year...so I wore new PJ's to work as part of promotions within store and slippers. Even went to lunch and did banking in my PJ's. It was fun!

Manners...an ongoing thing in our house....My eldest has loads of enthusiam, its not that she intends to be rude most of the time, I think its just that she's just set on a course and forgets everything else. (Very outgoing in personality.) I have a 2y old and a 3yr old so shopping is always an aventure!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 24-06-2010 at 04:43.
No new posts 24-06-2010 04:40 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

My favorites are the ones who stop whereever they happen to be, usually right in someone's way, and walking away leaving their cart where it stands as they trot their aisles over to get whatever they forgot. Why can't they take their cart with them?

No new posts 24-06-2010 04:48 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Are they the same ones who leave their wallet or purse in the cart's basket while they do their trotting? Nevermind that it only takes that one slimy-minded person...

No new posts 24-06-2010 05:22 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Sometimes they are. Then there's paranoid me, I don't like bending down to get something off the bottom shelf and leaving my purse in the cart.

No new posts 24-06-2010 05:25 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

No, no one knows where the list went but I remember the first one since I was the author.

'Look after your own Devil Spawn. Do not allow them to crawl all over the conveyor belt where other people put their food. Do not allow them to run around yelling at the top of their lungs and barging into people. And certainly do not tell them that the checkout operator will smack them if they do not behave.

Or do not get grumpy when the checkout operator reaches over and actually does it.

Before slapping you stupid.

For being stupid.'

Written after a particularly hard after school rush...

The last one was 'Remember that the customer is not always right. The law is.'

We had sooooo many minors trying to buy cigarettes without ID and then would throw tantrums. Proving they weren't adults.

No new posts 24-06-2010 11:09 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

Those first ones sound like they would work well at the theater I work at.

Of course I would add something about teaching them not to talk through a LIVE performance.

Then I would add for all ... we show appreciation through clapping (maybe a bravo) but not whistling and whoooping.

No new posts 24-06-2010 11:20 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

How about : "If the person in line does not allow you ahead of them, do not cut into the very small space in front of them." Or something.

No new posts 24-06-2010 11:21 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: