Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » LadyKillers
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page LadyKillers
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer
LadyKillers Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

We were going to pass this one up. So glad we didn't.

It's a character piece, not a plot piece, but the plot is sufficiently solid.

It's a bit slow to get going, but well worth the wait.

The characters are unique -- start with a stereotype, and then twist it to new meanings just before the audience gets comfortable.

Bit of an "Uh, that wasn't what I signed on to enjoy" in the middle, but I was laughing again in seconds. Actually, once that happened, the laughing wouldn't stop.

Wonderful use of juxtaposition and foreshadowing; things I knew were coming were twisted beyond recognition by the time they finally arrived. And the camerawork? Beautiful. There's one shot, near the end, so perfectly framed and absolutely inappropriate to the movie that it was perfect. (Email me if you've seen it and let me know if you can guess the shot I mean.)

And the music! That was one of the best parts -- one sequence combined renaissance, hippity-hop, and gospel -- good old-fashioned dancing in the pews black Baptist gospel.

Definitely one to see when you're ready for a good time.

Cricket

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 07-05-2004 01:45 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I haven't heard of this one. Is it a UK release? Sounds pretty good.

No new posts 07-05-2004 02:50 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I saw this movie a few weeks ago! Hehehe

A group of bumbling thieves use a devout old woman's home/boarding house as their headquarters while they dig a tunnel under it to a gambling boat full of loot. Tom Hanks is over the top awesome with his southern gentleman professor conman schtick (played with a gleeful gleam in his eye the whole way through so you knew how much fun he had with the role), and I will never look at IBS in the same light again! Nor false teeth for that matter....baaahahhaaaaa

Gawd that movie had me in stitches the whole way through. And it took me a while to catch on, but the movie made prominant use of Edgar Alan Poe imagery through the whole thing. Groovy!

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 07-05-2004 03:01 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Is this the one with Alec Guiness? Its a classic!

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 07-05-2004 09:32 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

The original is fantastic, and I understand it's out on DVD now in one of the Ealing Comedy sets. This is the remake, which I haven't seen, but I really should make the effort to get round to it.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 07-05-2004 11:46 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Was it an English remake?

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 07-05-2004 11:52 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

It's american, hence Tom Hanks. Can't remember who else is in it.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 07-05-2004 12:50 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The rest of the American cast was:

Marion Wayans
J. K. Simmons
Tzi Ma
Ryan Hurst
Irma P. Hall

I found a great website for it if you are interested. High on flash so don't view it at work.

http://ladykillers.movies.go.com/splash.html

No new posts 07-05-2004 13:11 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

Flash is bad at work? Huh...better tell the IBM employees. *grin* Dad and his old coworkers (most of them are now retired...because they're *old* Big Grin ) always goofed off on the internet. Never got in trouble, either. Probably had to do with the fact that the whole building was filled with computer geeks. ^_^ The company was probably just glad that the people did what they were supposed to as well.

Or are you talking about flash, as in the process of exposing one's naked self? Eek

No new posts 07-05-2004 15:06 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Elvin says she's innocent? Sure...

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 07-05-2004 15:17 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And Cricket says she's not a perv....

I think she keeps it in the closet. Or slips into it when the party calls for it. *snirk*

No new posts 08-05-2004 13:27 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hey, thought you were eight hours' drive away! What are you doing coming to my parties?

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 08-05-2004 20:57 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

8 hours? How fast are YOU driving?? And were you drinking at the party before you drove?

No new posts 08-05-2004 21:38 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

8 hours from Lyon's. But, no, that doesn't make sense, either.

Must have left my map in the closet.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 10-05-2004 18:00 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: