Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Battle of the Planets in French
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Battle of the Planets in French
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Battle of the Planets in French Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I came across this on youtube -a little "documentary" clip about Battle of the Planets, but the French dub of Battle of Planets. You know it's French when they change "Jason" to "Thierry"!

Maybe it's nostalgia for my undergrad days in Montreal, but I get an immense kick out of hearing them -even Zark!- speaking French. And, I can more or less follow what the narrator is saying, explaining how Gatch got made into BOTP -and why.

However, the narrator seems to be saying at 0.35 that in the French version of BOTP, Zoltar was "androgyne" and that he and Mala weren't two separate people. Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37QdGA3gkYg

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 27-03-2011 at 15:47.
No new posts 27-03-2011 15:47 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It may be also that they are referring to the difference between BOTP and Gatchaman. I know some level of Gatchaman was released in France, based on the French DVD I have for the 1978 Gatchaman movie. Wink Eagle Riders was also released there commercially (on DVD, I think).

No new posts 27-03-2011 16:35 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
It may be also that they are referring to the difference between BOTP and Gatchaman.

That could well be. Maybe someone with better French can clear it up for us. Other than "androgyne" the only words I'm recognizing are "vrai visage" or "true face."

Though, from what I know about the French, they probably wouldn't have been quite as concerned in the late 70s about children seeing a gender-switching villain.

No new posts 27-03-2011 16:49 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Okay, I might have figured it out...

It seems in the French version, "Bataille des Planetes," Mala is a separate person, just like in the original English BOTP.

http://www.dvdanime.net/critiqueview.php?id_critique=1164

The actress who dubbed French Mala also did "5 Cibel 5"
-I'm guessing that "5 Cibel 5" must be the French Susan. A more consistent name, taken along with 7-Zark-7 and 1-Rover-1, really.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 27-03-2011 at 17:27.
No new posts 27-03-2011 17:26 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
RE: Battle of the Planets in French Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
However, the narrator seems to be saying at 0.35 that in the French version of BOTP, Zoltar was "androgyne" and that he and Mala weren't two separate people. Interesting...

LB ... first of all, thanks for sharing!

You know, after hearing what is being said by the French narrator (although, he's speaking very fast for me to capture every single word!) I really think he's saying that Zoltar is "androgyne" in nature, showing Mala's face after mentioning "his true face" bit as you rightly said! In fact, this is being said as the story of BotP is being narrated, describing the heroes as five youths fighting against Zoltar and his malignancy! Mala's voice could have been that of a woman only after the transformation!

Gatchaman, Gatch II and Gatch F are only mentioned afterwards as different, original releases, whilst specifying their dates of origin and distinguishing them from those dates when BotP was released, and made a hit in the States ... always if I'm really not misinterpreting things!!

I can't agree more regarding 7-Zark-7's voice! At least, it's tolerable in his French version ... not that he deserves it! And, it really is nothing new to find names altered by the French ... they really have an annoying tendency to do so, as do the Italians! I'm always confused when trying to get a grip of whom they'd really be talking about, using the different names, when in reality I might be hearing about a character I'd be very familiar with!

And, another thing I like in this video is that bit extracted out of the OAVs ... they chose the one where Ken orders Jun to go with him whilst the others had to go the other way, and Jinpei is clearing teasing Jun about it!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gatchamarie on 28-03-2011 at 08:49.
No new posts 28-03-2011 08:47 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I think those sexy French accents for the boys might have some appeal. So are they serving frog legs and snails at the Snack J in it????

No new posts 28-03-2011 09:50 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
RE: Battle of the Planets in French Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
quote:

You know, after hearing what is being said by the French narrator (although, he's speaking very fast for me to capture every single word!) I really think he's saying that Zoltar is "androgyne" in nature, showing Mala's face after mentioning "his true face" bit as you rightly said! In fact, this is being said as the story of BotP is being narrated, describing the heroes as five youths fighting against Zoltar and his malignancy! Mala's voice could have been that of a woman only after the transformation!

Even with Mala presented as a separate character, I suppose BOTP did hint that all might not be quite what it seemed with Zoltar, when it retained the scene in Gatch ep. 71, where Zoltar's mask gets pulled off and he hides his face but is revealed to have long blond hair...

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
I think those sexy French accents for the boys might have some appeal.

Yes, the next time there's a discussion of how to share the Condor by divvying up all his various sub & dub incarnations, I will keep "French-dubbed Jason" in mind as a good option!

No new posts 29-03-2011 06:25 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

That unmasking scene would be nearly impossible to edit. But I still remember that our local UHF station somehow managed it, because I was confused at the references to long blond hair.

How about dubbed G2 in other languages?

No new posts 29-03-2011 12:29 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

The unmasking scene they had in BOTP was from the Abominable Snowman ep. All you saw was long blonde hair, even in the original Gatchaman episode.

The full-unmasking episode toward the end of the series was never used in BOTP.

No new posts 29-03-2011 14:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

In ep 71/Abominable Snowman, if I recall, Mark and the others briefly consider the possibility that Zoltar could be a woman (based solely on the glimpse of the long blond hair) before dismissing the notion as too improbable. To my mind, it suggests the BOTP writers could possibly have been having a little in-joke, as I imagine they might have been aware of how Katse was male/female in the original Gatchaman.

quote:
How about dubbed G2 in other languages?

Other than English or French, I wouldn't be able to understand anything that he was saying. French, I'd at least get the gist. Though maybe I'd be very happy regardless with, say, an other-language-dubbed Condor -if you can't talk to each other, there are other things to do!

Here's Italian Jason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCANNCTC91A

And Spanish Dirk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVJOdX2pno

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 29-03-2011 at 16:55.
No new posts 29-03-2011 16:43 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

If you've seen Toy Story 3, then you can imagine that a Spanish G2 would be quite the guy! Big Grin

No new posts 29-03-2011 17:53 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I haven't seen it -but now I'm curious...

No new posts 30-03-2011 03:31 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Here's Italian Jason...

Funnily enough this is the first time I've heard a BotP episode in Italian as I always watched Gatchaman!! I must say that the Italian Jason is not bad, but I like the Italian Joe of Gatchaman better ... his voice is more Condorish!! This notwithstanding, the Condor will always be the Condor no matter what voice or language he could be attributed with ... and even if he were to stay mute!

No new posts 30-03-2011 11:18 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
I haven't seen it -but now I'm curious...

Then you must!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBEGaCzOE9g

But it will be funnier if you're familiar with the other movies.

No new posts 30-03-2011 14:21 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Laugh2 That is hysterical! Now, I'm imagining "Spanish Dirk" kissing Ken on both cheeks and then flirting like "Spanish Buzz" with Jun...

The toy telephone at 2.03 -I had one of those as a little kid!

I'd seen Toy Story I but never II or III -I will have to rent this one soon.

No new posts 30-03-2011 16:03 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
This notwithstanding, the Condor will always be the Condor no matter what voice or language he could be attributed with ... and even if he were to stay mute!

Well said!

I wasn't able to find any Italian Gatchaman clips on youtube. I think there used to be some, but they've been removed.

There's more Italian BOTP though, posted by this person:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IGatchaman#p/c/6FD8783992AFA831

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 30-03-2011 at 16:09.
No new posts 30-03-2011 16:09 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Now, I'm imagining "Spanish Dirk" kissing Ken on both cheeks and then flirting like "Spanish Buzz" with Jun...

Ah, I remembered the "flirting" scene in Heroes del Espacio, the show that Tatsunokofan called "a weird mutant version of some of Gatchaman II created in Korea and exported to Spain."

The clips seem to be gone from youtube, but we still have Springie's screencaps.

No new posts 30-03-2011 16:22 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
I wasn't able to find any Italian Gatchaman clips on youtube. I think there used to be some, but they've been removed.

I didn't find any I could share, either!Frown It's a fortune for me having the episodes I have! And, this is reminding me how much time has passed since I watched them! Thanks for the links and screencaps, LB!

TJ ... I admit that my mind didn't click immediately when you related Toy Story 3 with a possible, Spanish Condor! Thanks for the clarification ... now I really know what you're talking about! I remember finding Buzz so hilarious when I watched the movie!!

No new posts 30-03-2011 17:41 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Now, I'm imagining "Spanish Dirk" kissing Ken on both cheeks ...

Ehm ... which cheeks?!!!!ROFL 2

No new posts 30-03-2011 17:42 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Marie, you are now corrupted.

Happy

No new posts 30-03-2011 18:13 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: