Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Fun Forums] »You Gotta See This! » Cooking in the danger zone
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Cooking in the danger zone
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Cooking in the danger zone Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't care to eat any of these things myself
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pi...ught/html/1.stm

Although I work on the same team as a guy whose weekend treat is delicately cooked lambs' testicles, or sometimes a lamb's pancreas instead.

Call me chicken, but I'll stick to steak.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 17-07-2006 08:36 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm sorry, I dont know whether its a lack of food thing in some cultures or some kind of twisted macho notion in the wide world but no one, and no thing, should ever, EVER eat something elses testicles......

its just wrong......

on soooooo many levels.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 17-07-2006 11:07 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

oh, gag! My stomach is churning now...can't wait to eat breakfast! My uncle will eat anything... he'd eat that stuff I bet! One day he tried to serve me snapping turtle stew! Thanks, but no thanks! Needless to say, I eat before I go to his house!Eek3

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 17-07-2006 11:37 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

I do like turtle soup but anythings testicals???? I don't think so!!!

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 17-07-2006 20:22 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Prairie Oyster's, they're called in Canada.

Cheers!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 17-07-2006 20:52 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I suspect a lot of world cooking is based on what people will eat to avoid starving - french delicacies such as snails and frogs legs, for example. And mussels - ugly things - who first picked up one of those for a taste? I like the taste, but I wouldn't have ever thought to go and nibble on one myself if I didn't already know they were edible.

Chicken feet - I can't understand what's to like about them but the people who love them, really love them. What can you even eat on a chicken foot except the skin? There's no flesh there, only tendons.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 17-07-2006 21:04 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The local Viatnamese restaurants have about 10 variations on beef noodle soup. Four levels of fat, with or without tendons. Takes up half a page.

Given the family debates over how to cook the steak, I can just imagine the fun some families must have!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 18-07-2006 14:16 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

Ah...bull testicles are known as Rocky Mountain Oysters. I can't imagine eating them. >_< Ick.

What I'm wondering is how something changes from something eaten out of starvation prevention into a delicacy?

No new posts 19-07-2006 13:46 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Thats art for you Silly

No new posts 19-07-2006 17:07 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I think the process from desperation to delicacy goes like this

1) people who live in the food deprived area eat the weird things and do their best to prepare it so it tastes as good as possible

2) wealthier people go to visit as a holiday (like the 18th-19th century "grand tour") and eat the local food

3) wealthy people go back home and say "you'll never guess what I ate in <such and such a place>", they do their best to feed it to their friends and it's all very exciting and exotic

4) eventually the people who live in the food deprived area get to eat other things - most of them stop eating the weird stuff given other alternatives

5) the word gets around between the wealthier people and soon they're all eating the wierd stuff to keep up with the Cholmondelys'.

No new posts 19-07-2006 17:39 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer

Duck paws are nice, bit like pork scratchings

how about black pudding?

or chili peppers? who first tried one of those?

No new posts 19-07-2006 21:20 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

I have never had black pudding, whats it actually taste like?

No new posts 20-07-2006 15:24 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It doesn't taste that bad actually, considering it's made out of blood and lumps of fat.

No new posts 20-07-2006 16:38 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

EEEEWWWWW! Now, that is gross? You've actually eaten it???Eek4

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 20-07-2006 17:21 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Meridian, you forgot the salt. Or is that the only in the blood sausages.

Cricket, whose current idea of adventuresome eating is taking the kids to a restaurante that has neither french fries and chicken fingers nor beef with broccoli. (He loves the sauce, even enough to eat a chunk of broccoli for every bit of beef.)

Gotta admit, though, his creation of mustard on cucumbers wasn't half-bad.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 20-07-2006 17:51 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Well, this is apparently a classic black pudding recipe

2 litres blood
Casings, beef runners of large hog casings (optional)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 kg of suet or diced pork fat (back fat or bacon fat)
500ml double cream
500g oatmeal, soaked overnight in water)
500g barley, boiled in water for 30 minutes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon mixed herbs or ground coriander
1 teaspoon black pepper or cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground mace

I've eaten it because I come from one of the bits of the UK where it's traditionally eaten. I've never eaten it much though, since I'm not hugely fond of it. I can't actually remember what it tastes like. I think it's been quite a few years since I had any, although the cafeteria in the building where I work offers it every day as one of its breakfast options. I'm more of a toast person.

No new posts 20-07-2006 18:07 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

I like fat. The texture has always been really interesting to me (and it ALWAYS has the most flavor). I've never had blood before. It sounds...interesting. I'd probably try it, and then decide from there. I don't think there are many places that serve it here in Texas though. Maybe one of the little German communities that's kept its heritage.

No new posts 21-07-2006 03:24 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I dislike the texture of fat, under most circumstances. That could be the reason I'm not very fond of it. I don't like tofu for the same reason - the texture makes me gag.

No new posts 21-07-2006 06:42 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

I've never really been bothered with texture, if it tastes good...ill eat it Magicshrooms

No new posts 21-07-2006 09:43 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: