Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »The Music Box » Songs that sound like other songs
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Songs that sound like other songs
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer
Songs that sound like other songs Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

There's certain songs out there that sound like other songs. Do they sound like these songs intentionally? Or is it just a coincidence? Whatever the reason is, there is more than one song like this.

Examples:

The main riff in U2's I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight sounds alot like Journey's Faithfully.

Ray Parker Jr.'s Ghostbusters sounds like I Want A New Drug by Huey Lewis & The News.

This is just what I know off the top of my head.

No new posts 09-08-2010 14:02 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Kids Rock, (think that's his name, Pamler Andersons EX) his latest song
eg lyric "We were smoking funny things" (just google called "All Summer Long"
everytime I hear the start of it, I start singing "Werewolves of London"
many be it's the start up rift that reminds me

(oh I feel old, tried explaining it to one of the younger people I work with - they looked at me and asked If it had something to do with Twilight or Trueblood - oneday they will rehash or mix Werewolves of London and they will things it's new)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by littlewolf on 09-08-2010 at 16:56.
No new posts 09-08-2010 16:55 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oh, LW, NO!

I still get creeped out by what UB40 did to Red Red Wine! And I like Reggae.

I have no desire to hear a rap or modern punk version of Werewolves of London.

No new posts 09-08-2010 17:02 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh heavens your right, just had a horrible voice in my head doing a slow version

Harry Conick or worst Buble, a crooners version, or even worst, Barry White (many be... That how I imagine Joes voice , deep and sultry Jones/White mix..Oh I digress)
Ray Parker Jr, Tom Jones
(drum Roll) Glee doing a Werewolve/ vampire episode

Sometimes I think my evil side is winningEvil1

No new posts 09-08-2010 17:12 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
Oh, LW, NO!

I still get creeped out by what UB40 did to Red Red Wine! And I like Reggae.

I have no desire to hear a rap or modern punk version of Werewolves of London.

I didn't know Red Red Wine was a cover. Who originally did it? And speaking of bad cover songs, I HATE what those no-talent scum Soft Cell did to Gloria Jones' Tainted Love. They messed it up, and look what happened! Their horrible version is more popular than the original! And it's because of them that now we have more horrible cover versions by PCD and Marilyn Manson among others. But anyway, let's get back on subject. This thread's not about bad cover versions, it's about songs that sound like other songs.

No new posts 09-08-2010 20:28 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Allen, Niel Diamond wrote and recorded in the 60's or 70's long before UB40 was around. He also wrote the theme song for The Monkees tv show.

Red Red Wine had a slow morose tempo originally.

Speaking of covers. While Whitney Houston recorded 'I Will Always Love You', Dolly Parton wrote and recorded that song before Houston was recording, and did the better version in my opinion.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by amethyst on 09-08-2010 at 21:06.
No new posts 09-08-2010 21:04 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

I actually like Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love.

I wonder about the current craze of "sampling" - where bits of other songs are included in new ones. It's a tribute, of a sorts, but if a songwriter is talented, then they shouldn't need to.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 09-08-2010 21:12 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Sampling's been around for a couple of decades. After a while, it becomes amazing to find a song that someone actually wrote and performed all by themselves.

No new posts 09-08-2010 22:50 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
Sampling's been around for a couple of decades. After a while, it becomes amazing to find a song that someone actually wrote and performed all by themselves.

This is very true. And that's why I don't listen to most modern music, because most of it is dime-a-dozen punk bands or cookie cutter rappers ripping off older songs. I'll never forgive Jay-Z for what he did to Alphaville's Forever Young in his song "Young Forever". Hey, there we go! Let's invert the title! No one will EVER know it's ripped off now!

No new posts 09-08-2010 23:12 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Wasn't Forever Young done by Rod Stewart?

No new posts 10-08-2010 01:29 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

What Madona did to American Pie - horrible

No new posts 10-08-2010 08:22 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Wasn't Forever Young done by Rod Stewart?

Different song, same title.

No new posts 10-08-2010 14:15 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ah, thanks TJ! I wondered about but just had to ask anyway.

Madonna did American Pie? I'm kind of glad I missed that.

No new posts 10-08-2010 15:49 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:

The Rod Stewart song is fun... but the Alphaville version is quite different, musically.

As for American Pie, the best version of it, IMHO, is The Saga Begins.... Starwars

No new posts 10-08-2010 18:54 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:

The Rod Stewart song is fun... but the Alphaville version is quite different, musically.

As for American Pie, the best version of it, IMHO, is The Saga Begins.... Starwars

The Forever Young songs by Bob Dylan, Alphaville and Rod Stewart are three entirely different songs. The only thing they share is the title. Alphaville's song is just amazing. I can listen to that song thousands of times without ever getting sick of it. It's that good.

No new posts 10-08-2010 19:30 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by AllentownDarkWater
Alphaville's song is just amazing. I can listen to that song thousands of times without ever getting sick of it. It's that good.

My DH has linked that song with the incoming calls on his mobile from my behalf ... he just knows that I love it and that it's the song that I mostly hum!

No new posts 11-08-2010 07:08 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: