Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Anime & Cartoons » fan clubs
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page fan clubs
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Question fan clubs Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm wondering what it takes for a cartoon to have a long lasting effect on people.
For example Botp has been off the air since the early 80's but there is a strong following today.
Could it be that anime sticks more with people? If so then the Japanese have something to be proud of. Then you look at the cartoons that are popular with kids above the age of 5 and it's mostly anime ones.
Have things like the Smurfs become obsolete? I did watch those but they never stuck with me like BOTP. The other day, when I was driving to work, I just kept thinking that it seems so weird that a 30+ person would be going nutty over the next Gatch release.
Don't get me wrong, I will not stop buying them because someone else might think that it's not cool. I just wonder what anime has over the other cartoons? I am also just thankful that it's still around to watch.
Anybody have any answers to the love of anime?

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 24-04-2006 20:59 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I think its because western cartoons are usually very different.

Most western cartoons are just short unimportant stories based around a set of common characters.

Whereas a lot of Japanese cartoons are usually very long expansive storylines surrounding what could be considered important issues around a set of common characters that may or may not suddenly die.

I think the appeal with Japanese animation is akin to western soaps and sitcoms.

You are always left wanting to know what has happened, what could happen and what may happen.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 24-04-2006 22:30 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I think your right Cep. With the emotion and the chance that the characters could die it made it a lot better then the common cartoons. Makes me wonder if anyone in Yu-Gi-Oh dies. Since I see how much the western half likes to paint the cartoon in a pretty pink cloud lining (so to speak).

No new posts 25-04-2006 01:07 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer

Oh yes, I was thinking that about FFU

Its kids stuff and so the critic didnt think much of it.

But people die, they betray each other, they suffer trauma (sometimes with long lasting effects) they get hurt, they pursue vendettas that put others in danger and forget the reason for, they react well to pathetic acts of kindness, they have petty fights, they chill out when in a safe enviroment (and have more petty fights) they get hurt when someone says something spiteful, they have big secrets, they puzzle over anothers conflicting actions, they love even someone who is unable to love in return.

No new posts 25-04-2006 06:08 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

I think it's not just anime that sticks in the mind of us ex-kids. I think it's a show of almost any genre, that happens to catch you at the right age and has something that stands out about it.

For example, when I first saw BOTP it was replacing some other cartoon that was on at the same time of day called "lost valley of the dinosaurs" or something like that. There was also a Godzilla/Godzuki show on, and an awful lot of other badly drawn and badly animated shows, every one of which seemed to have its own Scrappy Doo, that I really didn't find very appealing

Then along came BOTP. It didn't look even remotely like any other cartoon that was on. The storylines didn't follow any other cartoon. After a few episodes I was hooked. When it went off air, I missed it horribly and because it had already made its way into my daydreams, it stayed in my head. For over 15 years after it vanished from the tv, I still thought about it and the characters every day because they had invaded my imagination. I have often wondered, if it had stayed on air and got repeated endlessly, whether I would have got bored with it and moved on.

But other people feel the same way about other shows. Look at all the trekkies out there. People remember the Muppets fondly. Dangermouse has been having quite a revival over here without there ever being any new episodes! Gerry Anderson shows caught many peoples' imaginations, and Thunderbirds toys still sell out every christmas despite the series being 40 years old! Captain Scarlet has been revived as a CGI series. There's a lot of retro stuff available, for those of us who want to revive our childhoods.

Anime has also been far more available over the last few years than during my childhood (I don't know how old the rest of you are but I'm assuming - except for young Elvin - there's only a few years between most of us). it's cheaper for companies to buy it in and dub it than it is for them to make a whole animated series themselves, and so there's a lot of it available - I think quite a large proportion of the anime that's currently getting broadcast is unremarkable, probably a similar proportion to the non-anime programs that are currently getting broadcast.

Has anyone seen a show called Dragon Booster? While I haven't seen many episodes of it, I can see a few adults in 15 - 25 years time harking back to the days when they saw that. Perhaps Lazytown as well, although I think its audience may be transient since a lot are over the show's target age and may eventually get bored and move on.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by meridianday on 25-04-2006 at 08:18.
No new posts 25-04-2006 07:00 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer

What about shows that wont last?

I think the ones with too many topical references will die pretty soon. (except maybe as historical interest)

and another thing you have to have is character growth.

No new posts 25-04-2006 08:35 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

I am a member of a Dangermouse group, similar to this one, though I haven't been there for couple of months as I am trapped here but it's nice people but they aren't mad like us.

I live the new CGI Captain Scarlet and though I kinda prefer the orignal, I found it more character base stories, though having Lt Green have a sex change and maybe, maybe getting together with Capt. Blue is a bit disgusting, but despite this, I love it and glad that it's done 2 seasons.

Can't waid to see what's it like in a live action movie. Hopefully better than the Thunderbirds film.

No new posts 25-04-2006 22:40 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by meridianday
Then along came BOTP. It didn't look even remotely like any other cartoon that was on. The storylines didn't follow any other cartoon. After a few episodes I was hooked. When it went off air, I missed it horribly and because it had already made its way into my daydreams, it stayed in my head. For over 15 years after it vanished from the tv, I still thought about it and the characters every day because they had invaded my imagination. I have often wondered, if it had stayed on air and got repeated endlessly, whether I would have got bored with it and moved on.
There's a lot of retro stuff available, for those of us who want to revive our childhoods.

I know exactly what you are saying meridianday. The show would play in my mind constantly (with my own twist of course). I remember having one story line where Mark was my dad and my "uncle" Jason was coming over in his race car to take me to school. Whenever I was going to try something "scary" like riding a big rollercoaster, they still are there to give me the courage to ride it. I feel like sometimes I'm losing my mind but I really don't want to "grow up" when it comes to things like BOTP. There was other shows that made my mind race like that for a short time but none has ever matched it. Thank goodness for web pages like this one and the technology of dvds so that the show can live on forever.

No new posts 25-04-2006 23:46 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
kitten415
Just popping in

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-03-2006

spacer

I'm glad someone brought up the subject of anime lasting a lot longer in our minds than western cartoons. After watching anime for the first time, I hated all other cartoons because they couldn't stack up. I like that most anime has depth to it and the characters seem like people you can relate to, not some cardboard cutouts with mechanical personalities. Anime pushes the boundaries of human emotions much further than any western cartoon I have ever seen, and for that it has stayed with me for years.

No new posts 27-04-2006 06:21 kitten415 is offline Send an Email to kitten415 Search for Posts by kitten415 Add kitten415 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

There are some western cartoons, eg Dangermouse, which are chap and chirpy and so badly drawn that it doesn't make any difference because it's not suppose to be taken seriously.

Watership Down is another example on how a western cartoon could be very good though this film and the TV series is more on the storyline and charactors, rather than, as you said mechanical personalities and no story.

This is what does my head in about BOTP, where you can see (as an adult I see these things more clearly) the difference between the Japanese ainime and the American bits that were stuck in.

Ghost In The Shell is a damm good example of how a cartoon in the 21st century should look and feel and has done a good job of melding traditional drawn cartoon and CGI and has both deph on the charactors and thoughtout storylines.

No new posts 27-04-2006 10:50 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cep
I think its because western cartoons are usually very different.

Most western cartoons are just short unimportant stories based around a set of common characters.

Whereas a lot of Japanese cartoons are usually very long expansive storylines surrounding what could be considered important issues around a set of common characters that may or may not suddenly die.

I think the appeal with Japanese animation is akin to western soaps and sitcoms.

I enjoy the ainime more than soaps and a lot of the sitcoms personally.

No new posts 27-04-2006 10:52 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Legend of Redwall looks like it was good. Too intense for the kids, though, so I only watched one episode.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 28-04-2006 00:56 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: