Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Certain other message boards I've been to.
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Certain other message boards I've been to.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

UW - I find it hard to write L33T let alone read it.

I find myself using correct spelling and punctuation even when I sent a text message!

The funny thing that I've found about some of the "nazi's" on other boards - especially about Gatch - is that most of them know so little about the actual series (compared to those of us here).

It seems that they nitpick to disguise their ignorance.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 08-06-2010 22:46 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

Registration Date: 22-04-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
The gripe is about the people who have to pick at every little thing.

Most of us have no problem with an error or two. It happens.

Its when someone cant be bothered to edit or use commas or proper spleling an we hav 2 work out wat their rilly sayng cuz of that -- Well, that's what gets us in a lather. And there's at least one who does the whole teenspeak/teenwrite thing over on FanFiction dot net. (By the way, it was actually HARD for me to write that hideous sentence. I can't manage the modern disdain for spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure, even for an example.)

What I was doing was doing was "testing the waters" to see how much I should or should not mention to authors their errors, when I see them. I think I now know I will leave it be, I do not want to be considered a "Nazi".

And after what I read from Maddy's post, I don't want to be considered ignorant because I do not know enough about the series. Wink

No new posts 08-06-2010 22:56 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

Birdlover - we're not like that here. If you read through the boards, we've all made howlers of mistakes when it comes to Gatch and it's offshoots.

It's why we have James to bring us back on track (blows kisses at James)

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 08-06-2010 22:58 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

LOL, Birdlover... if you see a mistake or two, it's not a big deal, but if you see a lot, or something that seems really wrong (like a word being used incorrectly that changes the meaning) then feel free to point that out. But it's usually done off board (through PM or email) to make it less embarassing for the person who made the mistake. I know I've had people contact me about small things like that, and I appreciate when it's done off-board. And vice versa... if I have comments to make about something that aren't all complimentary, I'll do it in a private format.

No new posts 08-06-2010 23:44 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

Thank you TJ for that information. I will try to remember it if I ever decide to inform someone about their errors.

No new posts 09-06-2010 00:36 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

The purpose of correcting errors is to help improve writing, not to tear people down.

We've all had blushworthy moments, born of misunderstandings and misconceptions. If you read through the threads, you'll find plenty of those. You'll also learn about Gatchaman and its offshoots here.

BTW, how did you come to Gatchaman?

No new posts 09-06-2010 00:58 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

As I said in my welcome thread, I first watched BOTP and one day while talking to a friend about Manga and Anime, I suddenly recalled BOTP and decided to look it up on the net.

When I did I discovered it was born from a showed called Gatchaman. Since then I have been trying to discover as much as possible about a one beloved show.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BirdLover on 09-06-2010 at 01:03.
No new posts 09-06-2010 01:03 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

That story is pretty close to how many of us (including myself) found Gatchaman. In a way I envy you... you're going to get to watch the series for the first time...

No new posts 09-06-2010 01:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

I am sure you have had your first time TJ. I am not sure if I will get to watch it though. Unless I can find a way to download episodes.

No new posts 09-06-2010 01:49 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-12-2002

spacer

quote:
It is when reading stories that should have been proofed and edited (beta-ed? I think you call it, still trying to understand these terms) that I start to grumble.

a small aside:

a beta reader or a beta'd story can mean a couple of different things, depending on who did what and how well or seriously they took their "job".

a beta'd story could simply be that somebody else read through it for the grammar and spelling, because you cannot rely perfectly on spell-check - although for the love of little green apples, it should be one of the first things a writer does in order to catch the worst of it, particularly if the writer knows they are weak in english construction. sometimes this minimal level of beta consists of one friend telling the other friend that the story is "awesome". its not really a beta, its a piece of warm fuzzy "feedback".

a higher level of beta is more serious - the beta reader will point out logical inconsistencies in the story itself, or question why a certain paragraph or sequence was included since it doesn't advance or enhance the story. so they might check on grammar and spelling as a by-the-way, but the focus is more on improving the writing itself.

then there's the top-end beta who sits in front of their screen with the equivalent of the big fat red marker and checks *everything* - logic, flow, construction, tense, spelling, grammar, word usage, adherence to fact/canon - the whole shebang.

so a proof-and-edit really depends wildly on who did it and why they were asked to do it - and often, who they did it for.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lyon on 09-06-2010 at 01:51.
No new posts 09-06-2010 01:50 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by BirdLover
As I said in my welcome thread, I first watched BOTP and one day while talking to a friend about Manga and Anime, I suddenly recalled BOTP and decided to look it up on the net.

When I did I discovered it was born from a showed called Gatchaman. Since then I have been trying to discover as much as possible about a one beloved show.

I'm sure you've found the Episode Reviews, and YouTube has Gatchaman episodes. So does Veoh. (It also has about half of BotP accessible, but last time anyone clicked on 'Show all 85 episodes', their computer caught a virus.)

Although ADV is no more, you can still find 'Gatchaman' on DVD through Amazon and other sellers.

You may have noticed that the fanfiction gets interesting. TJ has a -- different -- take on Red Impulse. Maddy has reinterpreted the whole BotP 'verse (the Phoenix is alive). The Purple Dude has some fans. And Zark gets no respect, at best.

No new posts 09-06-2010 02:42 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

I don't use Veoh, but I do know just clicking on "show all 85" would not give a computer a virus. Your friend(s) must have had the virus before they visited Veoh.

My friend says all 85 episodes of BOTP are available on Veoh, you just have to be a registered member. My friend does the downloading, I am inept at using computers for anything much more than emailing. I am surprise I even found this place.

No new posts 09-06-2010 03:01 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

For quite a while, I could get to any episode I wanted. Now, it's only the first 50 or so, and others who had accounts could not get past that limit.

No new posts 09-06-2010 09:30 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
LOL, Birdlover... if you see a mistake or two, it's not a big deal, but if you see a lot, or something that seems really wrong (like a word being used incorrectly that changes the meaning) then feel free to point that out. But it's usually done off board (through PM or email) to make it less embarassing for the person who made the mistake. I know I've had people contact me about small things like that, and I appreciate when it's done off-board. And vice versa... if I have comments to make about something that aren't all complimentary, I'll do it in a private format.

It would be nice if everyone could be that decent, mature, and less ignorant, to do so! Many people just nitpick things, and point them out publicly, just to ridicule because they do not have any other thing to do, or because they try to find anything in order to bring you down, perhaps that being the only thing to do when they feel themselves inferior! If you then happen to notice their own mistakes, you'll find out that their own writing is full of them! I pity such people, especially when they try to portray a superior image of themselves when they, in fact, aren't, and, especially, when they do not know anything about you!

But, then, there's people who give you that sincere, constructive critism that helps a lot, and you can see the difference in etiquette as they try to aid with pure discretion! I appreciate such decency a lot, and then remember that there are still good people existing in this world ... and, here, you can find lots of them!

No new posts 09-06-2010 09:41 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
For quite a while, I could get to any episode I wanted. Now, it's only the first 50 or so, and others who had accounts could not get past that limit.

I gather the person who posted all those eps. have listed a lot of them at 18+ (or maybe it is 15+) so the new owners of Veoh are enforcing stricter rules and have blocked the other eps.

I could be incorrect about all this so if anyone else has a better understanding please jump in.

No new posts 09-06-2010 12:04 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
Garnet Garnet is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-03-2010

spacer

Oops, should probably have posted this in the Veoh thread.

You're right. As I recall all the eps were listed at 18+ when I was watching them. I thought that was really odd since they were aimed at kids originally. But, I bet that's at least part of the issue.

No new posts 09-06-2010 13:03 Garnet is offline Send an Email to Garnet Search for Posts by Garnet Add Garnet to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

I am not sure why they were listed at 18+ obviously the person who posted had a reason, any how they are now in the restricted area and my understanding is they can only be viewed by registered members.

No new posts 09-06-2010 13:25 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by BirdLover
I don't use Veoh, but I do know just clicking on "show all 85" would not give a computer a virus. Your friend(s) must have had the virus before they visited Veoh.

My friend says all 85 episodes of BOTP are available on Veoh, you just have to be a registered member. My friend does the downloading, I am inept at using computers for anything much more than emailing. I am surprise I even found this place.

I can confirm that as of about a month ago, both of those statements are false. T

There was no virus on my computer before hand, it began to download after clicking that link. It happened twice.

I do have an account with Veoh. You actually need one to download their player, and the eps were missing all the way around. You need the account because the were listed as 18+.

Now, it has been at least a month since I've checked. My computer has died, no hard drive activity and the computers that I am using, one is old and extremely vulnerable despite best efforts to protect it and the other belongs to someone else, so I'm not about to test to see if the above statements are still true. Hopefully, you'll understand my reasons, but I will acknowledge that both problems could have been fixed since my last visit.

No new posts 09-06-2010 15:11 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
BirdLover
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

spacer

What I do know is just CLICKING on a link will not down load anything. So clicking to see if 50 or 80 or 100 eps are available is not downloading.

I can agree once you download something it may send a virus. I am sorry Amethyst that you think that is where you got your virus.

I guess my friend and I have been very lucky on our computers, (using his account) we have had no problems and enjoy watching 2 or 3 eps on weekends when we get together.

No new posts 09-06-2010 16:39 BirdLover is offline Send an Email to BirdLover Search for Posts by BirdLover Add BirdLover to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

That was my thought when it happened the first time. After I got it cleaned up the first, I tried it the second time, without downloading anything and the virus immediately began loading. Why, how, I'm not sure, but that's what happened. I'm very careful of where and what I download.

Perhaps the urls have been changed and the links for cc-tv are not good. But I'd be very leary right now.

No new posts 09-06-2010 16:47 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: