Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » Serenity
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Serenity
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Serenity Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

*huge sigh of content*

Fox is once again proven to be absolutely moronic for cancelling Firefly in this continuation of the story via film, Serenity. Joss Whedon proves that he can do fantastic movies as well as tv shows. If you haven't watched Firefly, it's ok. He does an excellent job of introducing everyone to the characters and story. If you have seen Firefly...Serenity rocks. Absolutely rocks. 2 hours of spoilers, though, so can't say much. But it rocks.

No new posts 03-10-2005 00:34 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Never seen Firefly but when I read about it years ago, I didn't like the sound of it but seen the trailer and may go see it, so please 2 hours of spoilers please.

Abduct2

No new posts 03-10-2005 19:02 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ok, then.

O
B
L
I
G
A
T
O
R
Y

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Since you haven't seen Firefly, I'll go ahead and summarize it.
About 500 years ago, Earth's natural resources were entirely depleted. So it was abandoned, the entire population moving to another solar system filled with enough planets and moons to terraform to fit the needs of the people. The planets closest to the center, the core, became very prosperous, the government (US and China were the only two worldpowers left and unified after leaving Earth) watching them carefully. The outer edge planets, however, were basically ignored and often died out. Those that made it did so under extremely impoverished circumstances.

Some planets/moons on the outer edge decided it would be best not to be under the Allied rule. They became the Independents and fought a war. Enter Malcom Reynolds. He volunteered in the war on the side of the Independents. He was a strong Christian who believed that God would help his side. However, after the Battle of Serenity, in which the Independents lost and was the turning point of the war, Reynolds left with his one surviving squad member, Zoe.

The galaxy now unified, Reynolds is a captain of a vessel known as a Firefly. He has named it Serenity. He's a general mercenary, taking whatever jobs he can get, good or bad. Part of this is transporting people across the galaxy. His original crew consists of Zoe (first mate), Wash (pilot), Jayne (hired gunman), and Kaylee (mechanic). They take on passengers. One of these is a Shepherd (Shepherd Book) (Christian pastor from a monastery) and the other is a rich-looking young man (Simon Tam) with quite a bit of cargo. Turns out the cargo is his sister (River Tam), who went through experiments under the government under the pretense of it being a school. Both of them are fugitives now. They don't really know what has been done to River, but it's pretty much messed her up. She also appears to be a quite capable fighter when the situation designates it (or not). Oh! There's also Inarra. Inarra is the only true "reputable" character, being a knowledged Companion, i.e. prostitute.

During Firefly's short run, we learn enough to make us want more, but not enough to truly know anything. Relationships try to develop (mostly fail) between Malcom and Inarra and Simon and Kaylee. We also find that Shepherd Book apparently did something that the Alliance really, really liked, but he's no longer with them, though it was an amicable split. The group flits from planet to moon, dodging Alliance and the Reavers (men who are no longer men - they've mutilated their own bodies and chase after human crafts, raping, eating, and killing the passengers, sometimes in that order).

So, Firefly is cut off midst its first season. Enough for a taste. Serenity is basically the second season, with a bridging section between the two (very quick bridge, but well done).

In it we learn more of what has been done to River, including the affirmation that she's phsychic (hinted at in the series) and apparently might know something that the government doesn't want out. So they send in an operative after the group. So the group tries to figure out entirely what's going on with River while dodging The Operative (he has no name because, according to the government, he does not exist). Overall, the theme of the movie deals with the consequences of a government trying to create a utopian society. One question left by Firefly (Why does the government claim the Reavers do not exist? The core worlds are protected from them, but not the outer.) is answered in a rather shocking manner.

I really recommend watching Firefly and Serenity. The story-telling in it is just magnificent. Words don't do it any credit whatsoever. It really is incredible. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll get incredibly angry. Very effective story-telling.

No new posts 03-10-2005 19:48 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ah I see, or rather I will see.

Can't wait.

Thanks dude.

No new posts 05-10-2005 18:26 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Right seen the film. Not bad, not bad, though I am going to nitpict something here.

I find it strange that thought planets are being discovered around stars, that Mankind kinda of moved into a large solar system and stayed there and yet they have the technology. I just find that very, very strange.

The fact that there were no aliens (excluding the reapers) is fair enough but just 1 single solar system.

No wonder the series didn't last long. Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by Elvin Ruler
Ok, then.

O
B
L
I
G
A
T
O
R
Y

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Since you haven't seen Firefly, I'll go ahead and summarize it.
About 500 years ago, Earth's natural resources were entirely depleted. So it was abandoned, the entire population moving to another solar system filled with enough planets and moons to terraform to fit the needs of the people. The planets closest to the center, the core, became very prosperous, the government (US and China were the only two worldpowers left and unified after leaving Earth) watching them carefully. The outer edge planets, however, were basically ignored and often died out. Those that made it did so under extremely impoverished circumstances.

Some planets/moons on the outer edge decided it would be best not to be under the Allied rule. They became the Independents and fought a war. Enter Malcom Reynolds. He volunteered in the war on the side of the Independents. He was a strong Christian who believed that God would help his side. However, after the Battle of Serenity, in which the Independents lost and was the turning point of the war, Reynolds left with his one surviving squad member, Zoe.

The galaxy now unified, Reynolds is a captain of a vessel known as a Firefly. He has named it Serenity. He's a general mercenary, taking whatever jobs he can get, good or bad. Part of this is transporting people across the galaxy. His original crew consists of Zoe (first mate), Wash (pilot), Jayne (hired gunman), and Kaylee (mechanic). They take on passengers. One of these is a Shepherd (Shepherd Book) (Christian pastor from a monastery) and the other is a rich-looking young man (Simon Tam) with quite a bit of cargo. Turns out the cargo is his sister (River Tam), who went through experiments under the government under the pretense of it being a school. Both of them are fugitives now. They don't really know what has been done to River, but it's pretty much messed her up. She also appears to be a quite capable fighter when the situation designates it (or not). Oh! There's also Inarra. Inarra is the only true "reputable" character, being a knowledged Companion, i.e. prostitute.

During Firefly's short run, we learn enough to make us want more, but not enough to truly know anything. Relationships try to develop (mostly fail) between Malcom and Inarra and Simon and Kaylee. We also find that Shepherd Book apparently did something that the Alliance really, really liked, but he's no longer with them, though it was an amicable split. The group flits from planet to moon, dodging Alliance and the Reavers (men who are no longer men - they've mutilated their own bodies and chase after human crafts, raping, eating, and killing the passengers, sometimes in that order).

So, Firefly is cut off midst its first season. Enough for a taste. Serenity is basically the second season, with a bridging section between the two (very quick bridge, but well done).

In it we learn more of what has been done to River, including the affirmation that she's phsychic (hinted at in the series) and apparently might know something that the government doesn't want out. So they send in an operative after the group. So the group tries to figure out entirely what's going on with River while dodging The Operative (he has no name because, according to the government, he does not exist). Overall, the theme of the movie deals with the consequences of a government trying to create a utopian society. One question left by Firefly (Why does the government claim the Reavers do not exist? The core worlds are protected from them, but not the outer.) is answered in a rather shocking manner.

I really recommend watching Firefly and Serenity. The story-telling in it is just magnificent. Words don't do it any credit whatsoever. It really is incredible. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll get incredibly angry. Very effective story-telling.

No new posts 20-10-2005 21:01 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: