Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » Name pronunciation
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Name pronunciation
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
WadeInLincoln WadeInLincoln is a Male

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

spacer
Name pronunciation Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I will be the first to admit
that sometimes my ability to hear things isn't always the best,
but I swear I'm hearing Ryu's name being pronounced 2 different ways.
I have never met anyone named Ryu so I ask you all....

(Rye-oo)
OR
(Ree-oo)

Heck, I even heard Ken call him (Roo) like he was some character from Winnie-The-Poo

No new posts 22-03-2010 04:31 WadeInLincoln is offline Send an Email to WadeInLincoln Search for Posts by WadeInLincoln Add WadeInLincoln to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ahhh, do you want the Japanese pronunication or just how it can be said?

If Japanese, then the 'R' sound is softened to an almost 'L' sound - put your tongue in the position of saying "Lee" but attempt to say "Ree" without changing the position of your tongue. Then add the 'oo' sound.

The "Ree" bit is quite short because you have to blend in the 'y' part, but it would sound more like "Ree-you" than "Ree-oo".

Hopes this helps!

No new posts 22-03-2010 04:45 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

'Ryu' is also one syllable. The same with the '-kyo' of 'Tokyo' (or the 'Kyo-' of 'Kyoto').

One problem is that 'R' is not pronounced in the English/American manner in many other countries (including the Gaelic nations of Britain). Most English and Americans can't manage the 'r' of either Spanish or German.

Whenever I try to pronounce a foreign word or name, I remember what I learned about vowels when I took German. And that 'r' is pronounced differently. I still sound just like an American. (Although I once managed to pronounce the Russian male name 'Valery' correctly, to the delight of said individual.)

No new posts 22-03-2010 06:44 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

I think it is actually supposed to be pronouced Rue, but the source where I got that information could be wrong.

No new posts 22-03-2010 16:14 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

Rue is a fair estimation, but it's a hard one to say properly. It's not a syllable as such - more of a contraction of "Ree-you". It's actually a blend of a softened "Ri" (pronounced as R/Lee) and Yu (easy one - you!). It uses two hiragana (um, Japanese 'alphabet' that uses syllables rather than letters). A normal sized "Ri" and a half sized "Yu" to denote that it's meant to be blended...

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone....

Here's the wikipedia version of the hiragana chart for anyone who is really interested. "Ryu" is near the bottom in the diagraphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

No new posts 22-03-2010 16:26 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Which would explain why even the Japanese voice actors seem to have their own pronunciation of the name, but they are consistent in their pronunciations, the American voice actors aren't so much.

No new posts 22-03-2010 16:57 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Regional variations in Japanese pronunciation, perhaps?

As for the Americans - we don't have the same sort of naming and pronunciation here. 'Ryu' looks like it should be two syllables, and pronounced a bit like 'Rio.' We just aren't used to making a single syllable out of it. (But they do a better job than a dub of 'Devilman', in which the name 'Akira' is pronounced like 'Acura' -- a brand of car!)

No new posts 22-03-2010 22:53 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: