Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » Why is an episode a favorite for you?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Why is an episode a favorite for you?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer
Why is an episode a favorite for you? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Having just re-watched BotP (and watching what I own of Gatchaman now) I've been reliving my favotire episodes (and favorite moments).

I came to a massive realisation - most of my fave episodes and moments are that because of the Mark/Princess interaction. No - I'll amend that ALL of them are. (good lord - I'm more of an Eagle/Swan gal than I realised - and always have been).

Sometimes you watch a show and over the years your favorite episode changes as you mature.

Not with BotP - and I'm finding myself fond of certain Gatch episodes beacuse of my BotP favorites (though that is starting to change).

So - have you found this that your fave eps are becuase of a certain interaction or character?

And - don't know if you ever notice - Mark definitely knows who his competition is. If you notice, Princess never, ever gets sent off alone with Jason... *smirk*

In fact, if she gets sent off with somebody other than Mark, it's Keyop (and Mark is usually somewhere close).

And people say he's clueless or not "denying" himself! He's one smart Eagle!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Madilayn on 21-03-2010 at 23:48.
No new posts 21-03-2010 23:46 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm with you on that, Maddy! Just about all of my favorite eps have some type of Jun/ Ken interaction in them. I find myself fast-forwarding to the "good" parts, too!

That's true about Princess/ Jun and Jason/ Joe...I only recall one time that they were alone together on a mission...and Ken didn't send them out together...they ran into each other! (Of course the Condor and Swan make up for it in Gatch 2)

One of my fav eps of all time is episode 101- Heavy Cobra- it is so much fun to watch Ken and Jun together...and then to have Joe rescue them is a bonus! Although, Ken's pride had to have taken quite a hit when Joe came on the scene...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 22-03-2010 00:35 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah - even though I've never seen Gatch 2 - I've hearcd enough of the storylines and seen screen caps enough to be squeeing from all the Condor/Swan goodness there.

Have you ever noticed as well that there is more Condor/Swan in the OAV's than Eagle/Swan?? (especially episode 3 - she's absolutely devastated when she finds Joe!). Then again - OAV Eagle is not as gorgeous as the original!

Heavy Cobra is a favorite of mine as well (though I only know the BotP version). They are both working so well together in it, we know that they've changed into Galactor uniforms in the same space and he's just taking care of her so much!

I think that the BotP version sufferes because we don't see Jason give Mark his gun - but I do fangirlsquee with Condor + sawnoff shotgun!!

Come to reflect - 99% of my fave BotP episodes are in the last 10! Let's face it - who'se heart didn't break when Mark uttered the line "Fuel tanks empty. I'm gong down. Impact will ignite."

I always felt a little let down that it took so little to talk him out of that. On the other hand - knowing how Condor's get - would YOU ignore Jason telling you to board the Phoenix?? I wonder - was Mark perhaps hoping that using Phoenix's more sensitaive instrumentation perhaps they had heard from her or had confirmation she wasn't in those fields below.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 22-03-2010 00:44 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

Mads... Great question.

While I am a MP shipper all the way, and I do love the episodes that tend to highlight that a little, my favourites are basically those I remember from when I was a kid..

Long before the whole internet movement and the availability of DVDs and the such, my fav was always Fierce Flowers. As is the one where the research centre gets hit...

They are the ones that immediately give me memories of watching as a kid, and therefore remain my favourites.

When I got to see the whole series once it was released, it was pretty much like watching new episodes for me (although I watched all of them religiously as a kid -- I didn't remember the episodes, really)... I saw more MP deliciousness, but they don't exactly rank high on my favs because they aren't what I remember as a wee lass.

So that said, I don't break down the episodes and analyze them like a true "gatcher" would to pick a fav based on the elements in that particular episode. To do that would really take out much of the magic for me.

I prefer to look at each show like a naive little girl and relive that energy, rather than take it on as an adult and analyze each scene and pick upon every flaw and oops.

I suppose that is why my fic work strays so far from "canon"... I write as I saw them as a kid...not how they might truly be depicted on screen.

I guess that is why Gatchaman doesn't hold the same mistique for me that BotP does. Gatch is great, don't get me wrong, but it is just another cartoon to me.... BotP is the one I truly love... It's the one we all played in the school yard, and the one that takes me right back to being a carefree little monkey..

So, yeah... to get back on topic. My favs are the ones I remembered from when I was a wee tacker. They always will be, I suppose.

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 22-03-2010 00:47 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

Perhaps somebody can help me as well - what is the episode that the screen cap below comes from?

More Eagle/Swan goodness, you'll notice.

Damn - cant find it. But it looks like they are in a small plane of some sort - shot out windscreen and Ken is flying it from behind Jun??

No new posts 22-03-2010 00:47 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

Oh I think I know that one.... isn't it from the last BotP episode? Where MArk and Princess end up on Spectra chasing a tape, or something?

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SJ_SwanJun on 22-03-2010 at 00:53.
No new posts 22-03-2010 00:52 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

I know the one you're talking about...it's that same episode...Heavy Cobra (I can't recall the BOTP name for it). But I think that particular scene was cut out of BOTP. They sliced the heck out of that episode!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 22-03-2010 at 01:06.
No new posts 22-03-2010 01:05 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

SJ - I think you and I are two of the very few who have BotP as their prime show. I enjoy Gatch, but it's still BotP that holds the place in my heart!!

I thought it was from there - but must be cut from the BotP episode

Also like you - my two top stores are Fierce Flowers and then the last 2 when Space Centre gets hit.

No new posts 22-03-2010 01:17 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm rambling here - but waiting for software to finish installing on my machine here at work so can't do anything else.

In the Cobra episode in Botp - you have to love the line when they realise they're on Spectra. Princess says (something like) "We'll never get home". She doesn't exactly look distressed when she says it. In fact, one can see her mind start to build a small house, with a white picket fence and many mini-eagles runing around....

No new posts 22-03-2010 01:19 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

I BotP, that's Conway Tape Tap.

James

No new posts 22-03-2010 01:26 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

That's the one!! I wonder why they cut that scene out??

No new posts 22-03-2010 01:36 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

James - perhaps you can answer this question as well. Was there any set plan that Sandy Frank used for the episodes he translated? Or was it just somewhat random?

I know that some of them were just too violent for them to be able to get through - but others are rather innocous - in fact seem less violent than some that did get through (and Zarked into insensibility)

No new posts 22-03-2010 01:39 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Well I'm a 'shipper as much as the next girl, but I truly am a Swan fan, so my favorite episode is all about the Swan: Secret of the Birdstyles. I remember it as Museum of Mystery as well, and loving it in BOTP version.

On the other hand, I have found myself loving the humor in Gatch that was never really allowed to shine through in BOTP (BOTP had a different brand of humor). So in Gatch I love the Trachodon ep and the Abominable Snowman ep and the Dave the Hippie ep for that reason.

And then there are just the super cool 'hang onto you seat in excitement' episodes, like Heavy Cobra and Mortal Blow! Gatchaman Fire.

I haven't seen enough of Gatch F to make any judgments, but in Gatch II the North Wall ep is wonderful because of the Joe/Jun interaction, and I also enjoy the Crisis at G-Town ep because of the way it demonstrates Jun's strengths, and how well the Team knows her. Tidal Wave and Burn, Condor! are also fantastic 'edge of your seat' episodes.

No new posts 22-03-2010 01:55 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

There was no real plan for which episodes would be used and which ones wouldn't. Jameson Brewer and Co. pretty much dealt with the episodes in the random and piecemeal manner in which the film prints were delivered to them. They didn't know what the content of a particular episode was until they were in the process of working on it, and as far as I know, no episodes were omitted because of their content. The 20 episodes that were skipped were apparently skipped because they arrived after the production had wrapped.

Mr. Brewer talking a little about this when he was at the 1999 GatchaCon, when he was asked, "When you started working on the show, did you have any idea how many episodes it was going to run?" He responded:

"No, because at that time, nobody knew how many episodes there were. I was told originally, I think, that there would be 75. Then we found out later that there were more of them. Somebody would call and say, 'Oh, we've got 26 more films over here.' They just kept adding and adding to them.

I never knew how many there were until it was over. In fact, I heard when we were done, that there were more over there. But we were never able to get them."

James

No new posts 22-03-2010 01:57 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

My favourites -no surprise- are the episodes that prominently feature the Condor. In fact, the two BOTP episodes that, many years later, had stayed in my memory fairly clearly were "Galaxy Girls" (esp. the part at the beginning when Jason gets driven off the side of a bridge) and "Race with Disaster." Jason was always my favourite.

I was very happy, when upon discovering Gatchaman, to get episodes 78, 81 and 102-105, and a big, tragic story arc for the Condor!

No new posts 22-03-2010 02:18 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
My favourites -no surprise- are the episodes that prominently feature the Condor. In fact, the two BOTP episodes that, many years later, had stayed in my memory fairly clearly were "Galaxy Girls" (esp. the part at the beginning when Jason gets driven off the side of a bridge) and "Race with Disaster." Jason was always my favourite.

I was very happy, when upon discovering Gatchaman, to get episodes 78, 81 and 102-105, and a big, tragic story arc for the Condor!

LB, you beat me two it. Those were the episodes that I was thinking of. Though, I must say that watching eps 104 and 105 are hard.

But, the GoS equivilant of the Galaxy Girls is the only episode of that incarnation that I remember, as I couldn't remember the end of it. Needless to say I love it in Gatchaman.

Though The Great Underground Monster Battle is fun to watch just because you see Jun jumping into Joe's arms which is cut from BotP. Angryfire

No new posts 22-03-2010 02:34 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
WadeInLincoln WadeInLincoln is a Male

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

spacer

Just got finished up to Gatchaman Vol.7 espisode 42 today....
Only 11 more volumes and 63 episodes to go
hungry

They are ALL works of art sculpture

As long as the episode has some trace of character delvelopement or foreshadow of future events, I'm happy.

I've noticed a couple of episodes where it was totally like, "Oh, a gaint mecha is destroying the city. Call Gatchaman." Find a way to destroy the mecha. End of episode, with no type of internal story developement at all. Which is still cool and all but....

I have noticed that so far I've seen 2 seperate 2-part episodes. I remember hating the 2-part episodes as a kid. Just hated them. Maybe it was because you had to wait to find out the 'exciting conclusion'.... plus I don't always think back in the 80's they always ran the episodes in order so it might have been weeks before you got to see the other half of the story.
But now the 2 seperate 2-part episodes I've seen, "The Grand Gezora Operation" and "The People-Eating Flowers" are pretty darn good. And I get to watch them in the order they were intended Gatch

No new posts 22-03-2010 04:12 WadeInLincoln is offline Send an Email to WadeInLincoln Search for Posts by WadeInLincoln Add WadeInLincoln to your Buddy List
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

And another one falls for Jigokillers!!! (that's the Flower episode, Wade).

It's pretty much a favorite of most people.

No new posts 22-03-2010 04:57 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

I don't recall a favorite episode of BotP.

A moment I love is in the 'Secret of the Birdstyles' episode. You know which one I mean: Jun's gone out on her own to play bait for Galactor, and two guys force her into an alley. We hear lots of smacking, then a disgusted Jun walks out saying, "Darn, just a couple of street thugs."

No new posts 22-03-2010 06:53 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
I don't recall a favorite episode of BotP.

A moment I love is in the 'Secret of the Birdstyles' episode. You know which one I mean: Jun's gone out on her own to play bait for Galactor, and two guys force her into an alley. We hear lots of smacking, then a disgusted Jun walks out saying, "Darn, just a couple of street thugs."

Yep - love that!

Also love the scene in, oh, bugger, you know I can never remember the darn titles.., the ep that the GodPhoenix gets blown up and they're all in the Snack just hanging around and some fools are talking about how the KNT aren't doing anything but sitting on their butts while Galactor is blowing stuff up... Love that scene *sigh*.

No new posts 22-03-2010 07:23 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: