Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Math Probs that drive me BATTY!!!!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Math Probs that drive me BATTY!!!!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer
Math Probs that drive me BATTY!!!! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Give me algebraic expressions, heck give me simultaneous equations with three variables!! I dont mind!!..Im pretty kewl with dat..

HOWEVER..!Id rather be beheaded or take a bullet riddling .rather than trying to find out the friggin distance between Point A and Point B questions!!!!!

Driving from point A to point B at 33km/h takes 2 hours less than cycling at 11km/h..How far is it between A and B?

Mary walked from point A and B at 6km/h and returned at 4 km/h. It took her 5 hours. How far was it from A to B?

ARe you FREAKING KIDDING ME??! WTF

Yeah yeah..dont anyone start with the "problem solving is a crucial part of applying mathematical concepts to everyday life and assessing correct formulae to a given probem.....yadda yadda" ...

At THIS point do I REALLY care if Mary coudlnt afford to take a bloody TAXI or that im better off driving than cycling the distance between the elusive Point A and Point B?

Just WHERE the heck ARE point A or point B??..go on!!.Show me on a map where they are...give me a ruler and Ill TELL you the distance..WHY oh WHY do we have to make life so complicated??!

oh ok..poor examples I suppose...they irritate and aggravate me..I can bang my head on a wall for hours and it wouldnt hurt as much as those probs right now...

You want EXCRUCIATING THO?

If a solution weighs 200grams and consists of 8 grams of salt, the solution is called a 4% salt solution. If a slutions weighs 300 grams and consits of 6 grams of slat..then what percentage salt solution is it?[

We have 500 grams of 10% salt solution. How many grams of water must be added to dilute the solution to form a 4% solution?

Do I LOOK like a CHEMIST?!! Would taking salt soluted water of ANY percentage.. make it any less aggravating to work out the distance between Point A and B??!!!

Wrath

Ah Im going to sleep..at least THAT doesnt require measuring distance or taking salty water!!

Imi
<who hasnt worked on much less LOOKED at Math probs for over three years now !!>
* mind you all this to retrain on helping preschoolers and Primary Schoo Grade kids..!!*

Crying1Crying1Crying1

No new posts 21-07-2004 18:26 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I hate maths and am no good at it.

No new posts 21-07-2004 19:08 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Lolabella Lolabella is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Would it help if I put it in Gatch terms?

Joe walked from the Snack J to Ken's Airstrip at 6km/h and returned at 4 km/h. It took him 5 hours. How far was it from the Snack J to Ken's Airstrip? What and how much did Joe have to drink? Why didn't he drive Sweetheart?

No new posts 21-07-2004 19:32 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

I know the answer to the last. It needed welding up again.

No new posts 21-07-2004 19:54 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-12-2002

spacer

grin .. i loved math. i dont find a use for it now but these sort of stumpers always made me scritch my head and try to figure out how to cheat the system and still come up with the correct answer.

the first two .. the point A, point B ones are sneaky .. they make you think they're more complicated than they are. let's take the first.

Driving from point A to point B at 33km/h takes 2 hours less than cycling at 11km/h..How far is it between A and B?

this can be expressed as two lines and all you have to do is figure out where you have a two hour difference.

car: |----------|----------|----------|||

bike: |----------||

in the first hour (denoted above) the car travels 33km - the bicycle only travels 11km (1/3 the distance). In order to travel to the 33km mark, the bicycle is going to have to travel another two hours to reach the same distance. by this time the car will be long gone into the next country but that's besides the point - problem solved, the answer is 33 km between point A and B.

Mary walked from point A and B at 6km/h and returned at 4 km/h. It took her 5 hours. How far was it from A to B?

i love this one .. because its easy as pie once you know how to look at it. Mary was an idiot and realised she'd left her favorite comic book at her friend's house. She ran there as fast as she could before her friend could destroy her beloved property, grabbed the comic and walked home again with aching feet and a lighter heart. the key here is that the distance there and back is the same.

Mary's House ---------x----------- Friend's House ---------x----------- Mary's House

all you have to do is figure out when the distances vs hours match .. and its dead easy. you have to make a combined total of five hours. She ran for two hours to get there (6km + 6km = 12) and walked for 3 hours (4km +4km +4km=12) to get home. Therefore her friend's house is 12km away.

If a solution weighs 200grams and consists of 8 grams of salt, the solution is called a 4% salt solution. If a slutions weighs 300 grams and consits of 6 grams of slat..then what percentage salt solution is it?

ah, percentages. this is easy stuff since its all fractions. reduce both sides of the equation by a common denominator in order to get a yield of (100) on the bottom of the equation on one side - this will give you a percentage solution (in this case reduce 8/200 in half to yield 4/100)

8 (grams salt).............divided by 2...... = 4 (g salt)
---- -----
200 (grams solution)...divided by 2.......= 100 (g solution) = 4% solution

therefore:

----- ....= ? %

-- divide the bottom number (300) by 3 in order to get a (100%) solution, and divide the top number by the same factor of 3 which will give you:

-----....= 2% solution

We have 500 grams of 10% salt solution. How many grams of water must be added to dilute the solution to form a 4% solution?

this is two questions. first you have to find out how many grams of salt there are in the solution: using the thingies above, the first equation is thus. (10% is expressed as 10 / 100.)

? (grams salt) ............................( 10 )
------ ...........................= 10%....... -----
500 (grams solution)....................( 100 )

in order to find out how many grams of salt you have (since you don't know) all you have to do is figure out how much you have to multiply 100 by, in order to get 500 (easy, huh? a factor of 5). 10 x 5 = 50grams of salt. this was called "cross multiply and divide" in my school - take the top figure you know muliplied by the bottom figure that is also known, and then divide by the remaining number to solve for the unknown value.

okay, so our solution holds 50grams of salt. how much solution do we need to add to get a 4% solution?

------.=.-----
?.........100

so cross multiply and divide to solve the equation : 50 x 100 = 5000 divided by 4 (the remaining value) = 1250 grams of solution required to make the 4% solution. it started with 500grams of solution already, so you'd need to add an additional 750grams of water.

man, i haven't done any of this stuff since high school! let's do a logic puzzle now!

No new posts 22-07-2004 02:08 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Lyon hun you summed up in a nutshell why I hated schoolwork.

It had nothing to do with the math it was just the stupid bloody way the examiners would deliberatly write the questions to confuse you.

Which in my mind is a pretty crappy thing to do because say your exceptional at math but not very good at grammer?

If the question was put in a normal way you'd understand it and walk out with an A+ but because some tosspot decided to be clever and complicate it with silly stories and long words no-one in their right mind would ever use, except perhaps in the late 1850's your booted out with an F and get to wash down cars for a living.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 22-07-2004 07:49 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

Math hurts my brain. I can do it if I have to, and supposedly I'm actually pretty good...but it hurts to think about it. And word problems are my worst nightmare.

No new posts 22-07-2004 13:56 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cep
... your booted out with an F and get to wash down cars for a living.

grin!

are regetting your career choice at the Wax'n'Go, Cepster?

muahah! sorry .. but yes, i liked math in school. i also didn't pass grade 12 algebra, mostly through ennui so take all my math excitement with a grain of salt.

No new posts 22-07-2004 14:46 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

*grumble grumble* ...ruddy soap....*grumble*

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 22-07-2004 15:59 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It's okay Ceppers. I am not good a math either. Lyon is blowing my mind here...

You wash the cars...I will pump the gas....

No new posts 22-07-2004 19:35 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

We lucked out -- Dad is electrical engineer, in R&D. But he learned in the 1950s. They'd changed the methods twice since then, so when I had a problem, I had to translate his solution. Mom was good, though -- laid things out well.

But I had this real block about electicity -- anything more complicated than the basic flashlight and the pipeline analogy, and I blocked.

Worst day in school ever was when, in fluid dynamics, they said, "and, the electricals do this all the time, so we'll use the electrical analogy".

If you want two more ways to solve the solutions problem, just ask. And if you want even more chemicals involved, it'll be a good refresher. Might just do it on paper and scan it, though.

Cheers!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 22-07-2004 19:37 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Its belated, but many smoochies and thanks for solutions ....trust me..it helped!

Grouphug

No new posts 08-08-2004 14:43 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
man, i haven't done any of this stuff since high school! let's do a logic puzzle now!

You ASKED for it!!.. Sneeky

Ill donate 200 of my gatch dollars for each lateral thinking problem solved, to anyone who can figure these out.!!.

1) There is a man that lives on the top floor of a very tall building.
Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave
the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he
can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of
the way unless it's raining!
- WHY?

2) A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on
the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives
the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!"
- How can this be?

3) A man is wearing black. Black shoes socks, trousers, shirt,
gloves and coat. He is walking down a black street with all the
street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off
too but somehow manages to stop in time.
- How did the driver see the man?

4) Title: The Elder Twin One day Kerrie celebrated her birthday. Two days
later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday.
- Why?

5) Title: Manhole Covers
Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones?

6) Title: Heaven
A man died and went to Heaven. There were thousands of other people there.
They were all naked and all looked as they did at the age of 21. He looked
around to that see if there was anyone he recognized. He saw a couple and
he
knew immediately that they were Adam and Eve.
- How did he know?

7)Title: Trouble with Sons
A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the
same year. But they were not twins. How could this be so?

Cool Title: The Man in the Bar A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for
a
glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The
man
says 'Thank you' and walks out.

No new posts 08-08-2004 14:48 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

2: The doctor was his mother.

5: because square manhole covers, if turned 45 degress, will fall in the hole.

7: her sons were adopted.

i'll have to think about the rest.

No new posts 08-08-2004 19:15 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

#3 The streetlights are off, so I am guessing it is daytime?

No new posts 08-08-2004 20:25 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

#4 they were born a non leap year elder twin just before midnight and younger just after. this birthday is in a leap year so 2 days apart.

#8 a water pistol maybe?

Just leaves 1 and 6 now

No new posts 10-08-2004 06:47 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Four hundred Gatch bucks to Lyon for no 2 and 5 being correct...

Another 200 hundred bucks for Lola for the no. 3 daytime answer!

150 bucks to Firebird for being on the right track re crossing international times....

and a Whopopping 600 bucks to you know who who emailed me..with three correct answers one being the one with the guy at the bar with the glass of water and pistol!@!!!!!..<didnt think ANYONE would get THAT one@@!>

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

No new posts 13-08-2004 14:29 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

6. weren't Adam and Eve kicked out of heaven, like pretty darn quickly? so twenty one years later, they'd be like, forty two or something.

No new posts 13-08-2004 16:50 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

4. Kerrie and Terrie are twins, but not of each other. Poor Mommy had two sets.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 15-08-2004 21:18 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Askura
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-07-2004

spacer

1) Guy's short - as in, REAL short - and can only reach the button for the middle flor on the way home.

Though why he doesn't ask somebody or use a stick or something...

Ste

No new posts 07-07-2005 21:05 Askura is offline Send an Email to Askura Search for Posts by Askura Add Askura to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: kernbrit
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: