Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » 1978 Battle of the Planets movie?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 1978 Battle of the Planets movie?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
1978 Battle of the Planets movie? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I came across this youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/X0oMALKAVo0X...C/0/zu9ffzKHSw4

It's in 7 parts, and the person who posted it says it is:

"'Battle of the Planets: The Movie' (1978) is a 68 minute feature where several episodes are edited onto one Storyline. The G-Fore team's adventures here are all earthbound, just like in the original japanese Gatchaman. The Movie also includes scenes of violence and loss of life originally edited from the 'censored' BotP TV series. There is a special character intro for this Movie. Also 7-Zark-7 is played by David Bret Egen instead of Alan Young and the 'BotP theme' is a strange 'club version'. The Episodes used to make this movie are: 'Attack of the Space Terrapin', 'Big Robot Gold Grab', 'Ghost Ship of Planet Mir' and the 'Invasion of Space Centre' episodes."

I had certainly never heard of this before. I'm not familiar enough with these BOTP episodes to recognize all the changes that might have been made here, but I sure can tell that Zark has a different voice!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 22-01-2010 at 01:41.
No new posts 22-01-2010 01:40 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thank you for finding that LB and posting the link. Huggles

No new posts 22-01-2010 01:54 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

This "movie" was something that Sandy Frank had put together back during the BotP boom in 2002 as a potential means of getting the series back into public view, and was intended to be either shown on TV (Through someone like the Cartoon Network) or as a home video release. A rough cut was put together before the project was shelved, and that rough cut eventually saw release as bonus material on the U.K. BotP DVD set, which is where it was sourced from for its appearance on YouTube.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 24-01-2010 at 20:17.
No new posts 22-01-2010 01:55 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Thank you for that information James.

No new posts 22-01-2010 02:01 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ah, that explains a lot. Thank you, James -I knew you'd have the info!

FWIW, I don't like Zark, but I have to admit I find his new voice here rather jarring, as I've become so used to his original voice.

Proof that, under the right circumstances, anything can grow on you!

No new posts 22-01-2010 04:15 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Thanks for sharing your find, LB and thanks to James for the info regarding it.

No new posts 22-01-2010 09:44 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

ROFL 2 You're right, LB, regarding Zark's voice! I don't know about you but somehow I kind of prefer it from the original ... maybe I'm trying to find an excuse or something with which I might try and bear watching Zark instead of eliminating him completely from my view!

No new posts 22-01-2010 09:54 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

I thought it a great re imagining.

And proof Zark can work.

Nice to see it around for the Non UK viewers

No new posts 22-01-2010 16:09 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It's a shame it never made it to TV or home video release -I think a lot of BOTP fans, 25 years later, would really have enjoyed it. A lot of them might have been scratching their heads and thinking "I don't remember it being this violent," or "Did Zark sound like that?" though.

No new posts 24-01-2010 20:13 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

I really enjoyed watching it - must see if Ste can source me a copy in the UK!

I like Zark's voice - the "darker" tone to it seems to suit it better. Funny, he sounds like Sosai X in the 1996 Engligh dub version of the Gatch reimagining (which I really like).

Now am going back and watching BotP again!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 24-01-2010 20:33 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

I agree...Zark was waaaay less irritating in this. I enjoyed watching it with less Zark interruptions, too!
Thanks for sharing this!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 24-01-2010 20:34 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Planet hasn't been on the gold standard for a while.

Zark was much less annoying. See, they could have pulled it off.

No new posts 24-01-2010 23:09 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I think its because Zark's voice was more mechanical so he sounds more like what his character was supposed to be. They weren't trying to make him cute.

If they had brought back the series, I wonder if they'd gone with the version of Zark in this movie?

No new posts 25-01-2010 00:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

In the past thirty years, SF tropes and elements have become more common in popular culture. If they were doing BotP now, Zark would be less annoying (certainly less of a self-centered hypochondriac), and probably not be credited with doing everything from watching the galaxy to designing the wallpaper at Center Neptune. And the added animation would mesh better with the original.

It wasn't until episode 11 of BotP that they gave us Zark's 'Birdstyle' outfit. And Susan appeared around episode 12, as did 1-Rover-1.

No new posts 25-01-2010 02:54 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

This is a great find, LB! Thanks so much for posting it, and thank you, James, for the background information!

No new posts 25-01-2010 15:09 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
JohngPR JohngPR is a Male
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-02-2010

spacer

Very cool. I'll check it out after I'm down watching the Gatchaman episodes that are included, just to see the differences.

No new posts 07-02-2010 16:08 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

wondered if that was the one I have... now I know it is... Thanks James

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 13-02-2010 17:45 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: