Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Australia - the wide brown (deadly) land
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Australia - the wide brown (deadly) land
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ahh - but lborgia - you have that snow stuff that comes in copious quantities that also brings below freezie weather.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 16-01-2010 08:00 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ebony ... if it were me on whom that spider would have dropped I would have not just scared the other drivers but only God knows what I would have done!

Green ... if ever I decide to visit Australia I will surely abide with your warnings! Uhoh3 I'm sure that apart from these facts, Australia is one of the most wonderful places on Earth ... that's how people who have already visited it tend to describe it!

I can say that I am lucky to live in a place where there aren't so much wildlife scares! We only have jellyfish infestations during summers, especially the last one ... and the one or two harmful mosquitoes! I think that's why I like so much to visit zoos, marine and wildlife parks when I'm abroad ... because of the lack of knowledge of such creatures!

No new posts 16-01-2010 08:09 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Madilayn
Ahh - but lborgia - you have that snow stuff that comes in copious quantities that also brings below freezie weather.

Oh, God, yes! Give me the spiders, snakes and sharks! You can keep your snow!

No new posts 16-01-2010 09:43 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

[quote]Originally posted by Madilayn
You all know that there are plenty of us Gatchamaniacs around the country and you are welcome to visit!

Thanks for the invite! Have to start saving...

Re Huntsmen & spider deaths - a friend of mine (big boofy sufer dude) has a massive spider phobia - he uses baygon plus a lighter and tries flameing them to death! It is rather spectacular Spider

I've got a male childhood friend who is terrified of spiders. If he saw one, he would literally scream and climb up onto the tallest rhing he could find, flapping his arms like he's trying to fly away. I always thought it'd be funny to have Jason have arachnophobia. Big, bad Condor reduced to a baby by a tiny spider - no offense to those who are afraid of spiders. I don't mind as long as they're small enough to squash under my shoe and don't chase you, which I understand some dangerous spiders do.

No new posts 16-01-2010 20:34 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Has anyone ever seen pictures of the camel spiders? Some of them are two feet long. Spidereek

No new posts 16-01-2010 20:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by green

Laugh2 But we need the cold and the snow in Nova Scotia -otherwise we'd have blackflies and mosquitoes biting us all year round!

No new posts 16-01-2010 20:40 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

It sounds as bad as Pandora, doesnt it?

No new posts 16-01-2010 21:52 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
And that is not an overly large specimen either, TJ.

I've been bitten by the ordinary black house spiders (which are nasty) a couple of times and while Huntsmen aren't poisonous, I would rather see eight of the black ones than one of these sitting on the wall...

And the sprays just don't kill them - it's a magazine, telephone book or cricket bat job....

I general resort to the rolled newspaper...cricketbats leave dents in the walls and the spider got away!

No new posts 17-01-2010 07:44 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
quote:

I second that!!! Wink

No new posts 17-01-2010 07:46 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
quote:

And the sprays just don't kill them - it's a magazine, telephone book or cricket bat job....

I general resort to the rolled newspaper...cricketbats leave dents in the walls and the spider got away!

I once had a huntman on my car while I was parked outside a friend's house. I asked her to get me something to brush it off with, thinking along the lines of a newspaper, and she brought out a cricket bat...

Guess I should have remembered she was petrified of spiders....

No new posts 17-01-2010 08:06 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Green; I had this image of a person sitting in a car staring at the spider...Fear washing over their face...then it turns to pertified upon seeing this person emerge with a cricket bat taking aim at the spider and forgetting about the person in the car.... The person gulps...and then figures she'll take her chances with the spider and starts up the car.....rollingpin

No new posts 17-01-2010 22:59 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
MrVampire MrVampire is a Male

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-12-2009

spacer

quote:
.... I don't mind as long as they're small enough to squash under my shoe and don't chase you, which I understand some dangerous spiders do.

Funnel web spiders (the most venomous spider on earth) will not just chase you it will jump up at you and sink its massive fangs (capable of penetrating fingernails or soft shoes) into your calf and inject its acidic, multiple toxin laced venom into your leg whereon you will experience nausea, vomiting, sweating, difficulty berating, twitching, disorientation, fluid accumulation on the lungs, coma then a horrible death either through low blood pressure, asphyxiation or swelling of the brain.
That would probably spoil your holidays.

Galactor Space Cats! Galactor

I'll write something else entertaining here eventually...

No new posts 18-01-2010 01:56 MrVampire is offline Send an Email to MrVampire Homepage of MrVampire Search for Posts by MrVampire Add MrVampire to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Eek2

No new posts 18-01-2010 15:13 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the info. Are they hairy or hard shelled? Just so I know what to avoid like the plague. Flush

No new posts 18-01-2010 19:49 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Rofl

They are nasty, no doubt about it. Of course more people have died due to a shark attack than a funnel web spider bite since they developed the antivenom...

It appears only the males are likely to aggressively attack, so if you do happen across one you have 50-50 chance of getting away!

Becky, there are some very detailed pictures available on the net if you are really interested in knowing what to look out for. Of course, we just tend to kill any 8 legged creatures we come across - saves the time of thinking 'Is that dangerous? Does it have a stripe? Oh, wait - it's Australia and it's a spider! Where's my shoe?'

No new posts 18-01-2010 20:36 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Maybe that's why Galactor never attacked Australia! That, and the badass ANZACs who'd hand them their asses without even breaking a sweat.

No new posts 18-01-2010 22:14 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Yeah all they need to do is introduce the mecha to local wildlife...Oh boy I see the Crocodile mecha coming from a mile away!!!!

No new posts 19-01-2010 07:36 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
Maybe that's why Galactor never attacked Australia! That, and the badass ANZACs who'd hand them their asses without even breaking a sweat.

That would depend on their targets. I can imagine it now....

Ministerial Aide: "Oh, look. They've destroyed the Sydney Opera House. That's a shame."

Prime Minister: "That means work for our construction companies."

Aide: "There goes the bridge. The commuters aren't going to like that much."

Prime Minister: "The ferry companies will. More work for them."

Aide: "Oh, that's sad - that was the cricket grounds! We were doing so well too."

Prime Minister: "We'll beat the Poms next year, don't worry."

Aide: "Was that the brewery???"

Prime Minister: "OMG - NOT the brewery!!! Launch an all out attack!!!"

No new posts 19-01-2010 10:14 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

Green: love it!! Though - they might have a problem with the cricket ground going - especially since they also use it for football (all types) as well.

Oops - good job not attacking Brisbane - there is Suncorp Stadium (football - the cricket ground is at the Gabba - other side of town) and the XXXX Brewery next to it... Thank heavens Arnotts moved, or the Tim Tams could also have been threatened in one hit!

About a year ago, there was a discussion on Galactor and Australia on the BotP list. I had a plotpuppy and sent this in:

The truth is they came, they landed, they had a series of problems.

1. Mecha landed on a bull ant nest. Not immediately noticed until the ants made it inside. Goons covered in bites.

2. Reconasaince party sent outside and met some wildlife. One got kicked in the goolies by a kangaroo. Second one had a drop bear fall on his head. Third one was tragically killed when he inadvertently put his hand down a wombat hole and the wombat got frightened, sat on his hand and crushed it, then collapsed the burrow on the crushed hand and arm. Goon died of embarrasment as he couldn't bear to explain what had happened.

3. Goon found outisde dunny. Got bitten by the Red Back on the toilet seat.

4. Goon tried to pet snake. Silly goon.

5. Captain du Jour went swimming in a lovely billabong in the top end. Discovers that in Australia "Crocs" don't mean shoes...... Croc later had to be treated for indigestion.

6. Katse decided to leave Australia alone after he tried vegemite. Lesson learned: don't put it on your toast thickly. You only need a tiny scraping on it if you're a beginner. You need to be hardened to Vegemite to be able to put it on your toast at any level of thickness!

7. ON leaving, Katse ony just makes it out alive after making disparaging remarks about Australian sporting prowess. Mecha is severely damaged by accurately hit cricket balls and footy players going for the tackle and/or mark.

Galactor puts Australia on it's "do not got there" list.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 19-01-2010 11:19 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Madilyn, I love it! So true!!!

I did think there might be a problem with the cricket ground, until I realised it isn't footy season yet! LOL And there are other grounds to play on.... Wink1 It takes much longer to rebuild a brewery to get it just right, and the storehouses... OMG, not the reserves!!! Beer shortage - the horror, the HORROR!! Crying4

No new posts 19-01-2010 11:31 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: