Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Anime & Cartoons » AstroBoy - Weekend Box Office Results
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page AstroBoy - Weekend Box Office Results
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer
AstroBoy - Weekend Box Office Results Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

This weekend was AstroBoy's opening weekend here in the US. It came in 6th, with a US$7 million take. I was glad to see it opened in 6th, since there's some pretty tough competition out there (Paranormal Activity, Saw VI, Where the Wild Things Are), but was disappointed to see that it was only a $7million take, especially since the movie budget was $65 million.

I'll be interested to see how it does over the next couple weeks, and internationally. I'm hoping Imagi will at least break-even on it; if not, I'm thinking they'll scrap Gatchaman altogether.

On the plus side, AstroBoy did better than "Amelia", the biopic about Amelia Earnhart, which stunningly opened in 11th.

if you're interested, you can view this weekend's results here:
US Box Office Results, 23-25 October

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 25-10-2009 20:40 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

Astro Boy opened in Japan two weeks ago. It was #10 on its opening weekend, and dropped off the "Top Ten" list in its second week.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 25-10-2009 at 21:14.
No new posts 25-10-2009 21:14 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Was that this weekend?

I have been so busy, I had not even noticed. I really should get out to see it even if it is only to support Imagi. Well all I can hope is that it stays in my local theater for next weekend.

No new posts 25-10-2009 21:26 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Ouch... it isn't looking too good for Imagi financially.

OTOH, seeing as it is an animated film, it may make up for lackluster box office results with good DVD sales.

No new posts 25-10-2009 23:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
RE: AstroBoy - Weekend Box Office Results Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori
I'll be interested to see how it does over the next couple weeks, and internationally. I'm hoping Imagi will at least break-even on it; if not, I'm thinking they'll scrap Gatchaman altogether.

Fingers crossed that they will not!

No new posts 26-10-2009 11:28 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Ooh, I was hoping for a better result than this... Sad1 I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out with DVD sales and what-not.

No new posts 26-10-2009 13:20 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

After a month in theaters, poor Astro Boy's totals haven't improved a whole lot. According to Box Office Mojo, the film has rung up $18,621,561 in domestic ticket sales since its release on October 23rd. With a production budget of $65,000,000, that's a fairly substantial loss. Of course, the total box office will increase when international ticket sales are added in (That information wasn't available on Box Office Mojo), but I doubt that it will make up for the whole $46,378,439 loss.

By all accounts I've found, its best showing has been in China, where it was the #1 film on its opening weekend, grossing roughly $5,850,000, which beat out the previous record for highest opening weekend gross for an animated film in China (Just under $4,400,000, grossed by Ice Age 3).

So, how many people here have seen Astro Boy, and what did you think about it?

James

No new posts 25-11-2009 01:58 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I went to see it. And walked out feeling .... "Is that all?" It could have been longer, not that I know the original so I do not know what more could have been added .... I was just surprised that the film was so short. I guess I am used to much longer films these days. Ones that drag on, never seeming to get anywhere.

I did also feel like I would like to watch it a second time though, to get the subtle nuances that I missed the first time. So I might either rent the DVD when it eventually comes out, or go out and buy myself a copy to support IMAGI.

Did you go and see it James? What was/were your thoughts?

No new posts 25-11-2009 02:06 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

We didn't see it, but then, we rarely see movies these days in the theatre, as it is so expensive. We will probably get it through Netflix when it comes out on DVD.

I know I'm not the only person who is more selective about which movies they see in the theatre. Astroboy could make up for poor box office results with good DVD sales.

No new posts 25-11-2009 02:13 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

The good news is that it hasn't been completely released yet. There are still a bunch of countries that have a 2010 release date, including a lot of Europe. Not to mention that it could pick up here, in Oz, when schools close for summer...

Fingers crossed!

No new posts 25-11-2009 03:46 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I've seen promo's for it here in Ozzie!!! Thats a plus I think...

No new posts 25-11-2009 08:37 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Did you go and see it James? What was/were your thoughts?

No, I haven't seen the film yet, thanks in no small part to a temporary schedule change at work that has put Heather's and my weekends on conflicting patterns. We do intend to see it, but by the time our schedules mesh again, the film will probably be in the local last-run bargain theater ($3.00 a ticket -- can't beat that!).

quote:
The good news is that it hasn't been completely released yet. There are still a bunch of countries that have a 2010 release date, including a lot of Europe.

Adding the box office from those countries will probably boost the film to the point where it at least breaks even. But, unfair though it may be, the only total that matters in determining whether the film is considered a success or a failure is the total box office from its domestic release. While the film may make its money back when international box office receipts are added in, and it may even make some money following its DVD release, Astro Boy's poor performance in U.S. theaters has labeled it a failure.

James

No new posts 26-11-2009 00:15 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
We do intend to see it, but by the time our schedules mesh again, the film will probably be in the local last-run bargain theater

Speaking of which, I just checked that theater's listings, and Astro Boy is already there. Out one month and already at the bargain theater is not a good sign for any movie.

James

No new posts 26-11-2009 04:45 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer

I went out with Diinzumo-san to see it a couple of weeks back - my reaction? Was nice to watch - good visuals - but found the storyline way too simplistic (black/white) to enjoy and spent the movie wondering when the situation would ramp up and then get to resolution. No emotional stress at all... maybe if I were watching it at the same age I saw the original, then the story would have been fine. However, anyone over the age of five won't find much depth to characters or story... though the visuals were well constructed.

If all I wanted were visuals a la YouTube, then this is fine. But as a story? Didn't give me any reason to go back or hope for a sequel. Too many cliches.

No new posts 26-11-2009 22:45 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer

I liked Astro Boy. Although I never saw the original anime or read the manga.

No new posts 25-01-2010 02:54 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Speaking of poor Astro Boy, I just took a look at the Box Office Mojo site to see what kind of totals the film brought in. Its domestic total was $19,551,067, with an additonal $3,469,471 from foreign ticket sales, bringing it up to a paltry $23,020,538. With a production budget of $65,000,000, that leaves the film (And Imagi) $41,979,462 in the hole. Some of that deficit was offset by licensing deals made for the movie, and a bit more will eliminated by the upcoming home video release (Coming March 16th), but I'm sure that will only take a small bite out of it.

In a word: Ouch.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 26-01-2010 at 17:37.
No new posts 26-01-2010 04:32 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

All I can say is that I regret they chose to go with Astroboy before Gatchaman....

No new posts 26-01-2010 04:36 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

That's a very big OUCH, James! Green, ITA with your comment ... at least from my point of view!

No new posts 26-01-2010 11:20 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
JohngPR JohngPR is a Male
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-02-2010

spacer

Sadly enough, I haven't seen this movie yet, but plan to rent it when it comes out on Bluray.

No new posts 09-02-2010 17:45 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

It hasn't done well. James posted an article that said that it's only made $23 million.

No new posts 10-02-2010 00:11 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: