Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » More Stuff
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page More Stuff
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
More Stuff Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

How many 'North Pole' bases have been destroyed by the SNT? Does Galactor rebuild the same base every time?

In Episode 65, Dr. Nambu says that Galactor must have brought the Bem on their spaceship. When did he find out Galactor had an extraterrestrial connection? (Okay, people, write your ficcies!)

How did Joe's friend, Alan, learn the Condor killed his fiancee? Joe did not see the face of the Devilstar he killed, so he would only recognize the young woman in Alan's photo as the woman he helped out of a burning car. (Another fic!)

Where does Katse hide his costume when he's in disguise?

What's the Galactor symbol supposed to be? A stylized cat, or a devil?

Archaeologists must hate Galactor for putting their bases under ruins. Talk about compromising the site.

Is Jun's hair supposed to be greenish, or did the animators use a different ink formula to represent a specific texture of hair?

No new posts 23-09-2009 01:01 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

About that last one, I would guess the latter because I remember watching (listening to) a commentary from Batman TAS and Timm said that because they of the lack available colors during animation that they usually used a dark blue for batman and a dark green for robin.

No new posts 24-09-2009 07:24 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
How many 'North Pole' bases have been destroyed by the SNT? Does Galactor rebuild the same base every time?

I don't think they'd rebuild in an exact location they'd used before. I've always assumed they like to use arctic or antarctic locations because there's hardly anyone there and their bases are less likely to be detected (and maybe bleak, snowy, tree-less locations can be drawn faster by the animators too)

quote:
In Episode 65, Dr. Nambu says that Galactor must have brought the Bem on their spaceship. When did he find out Galactor had an extraterrestrial connection? (Okay, people, write your ficcies!)

I've heard that there was some mention, maybe in some sort of pre-production notes at Tatsunoko, that the technology behind the Team's birdstyles was given to Dr. Nambu by benevolent aliens. Galactor did have that scorpion mecha on the moon in ep. 9 -maybe Dr. Nambu is aware there are aliens out there in space, and that one might have come near enough to Earth to get grabbed by Galactor.

quote:
How did Joe's friend, Alan, learn the Condor killed his fiancee? Joe did not see the face of the Devilstar he killed, so he would only recognize the young woman in Alan's photo as the woman he helped out of a burning car. (Another fic!)

Actually, I have a fic-in-the-works that will offer one possible answer to this question!

quote:

I have no idea, but I suspect the answer is somehow related to the question of how Joe can hide tons of shuriken and/or his gun in the outer thigh of his jeans (one that has always puzzled me).

quote:
What's the Galactor symbol supposed to be? A stylized cat, or a devil?

Maybe a bit of both? I think all cats, including mine, are evil at heart.

quote:
Archaeologists must hate Galactor for putting their bases under ruins. Talk about compromising the site.

Great, now I'm imagining an Indiana Jones/Gatchaman crossover fic...

quote:
Is Jun's hair supposed to be greenish, or did the animators use a different ink formula to represent a specific texture of hair?

I believe it is supposed to be green -Tatsunokofan will know for sure. It seems to me, too, that her hair is even more green in Gatchaman II and Gatchaman F.

No new posts 24-09-2009 14:43 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:

In the first series, four bases. The first was in episode #14 (Ice Kandar), then again in episode #18 (The Whale Submarines), episode #54 (Kanikiller), and lastly in episode #64 (Blizzarder), and episode #100 (Which was probably located more toward the North Sea than the North Pole).

I'd have to do more checking for the second and third series, but the only one that immediately comes to mind is in Gatchaman II #23 (Ken's childhood teacher). Gatchaman Fighter #33 took place in the North Sea, and Gatchaman Fighter #'s 36 and 39 took place at I.S.O. bases located at the North Pole, but Gallactor did not have bases there in those episodes.

There were other episodes where the action took place in snowy climates, which might be why you would think that there are more than there really are, but those stories took place in locations other than the North Pole.

quote:
I've heard that there was some mention, maybe in some sort of pre-production notes at Tatsunoko, that the technology behind the Team's birdstyles was given to Dr. Nambu by benevolent aliens.

Actually, that came from an article in the first volume of the "Fantastic TV Collection" series, where SF Consultant Rei Kozumi was talking about working with Tatsunoko on the series. He commented that he was greatly bothered by the technology required to allow for the transformations of the Ninja Team's vehicles and uniforms. Simply put, it was far beyond anything else that was to se seen in the series.

He went on to say that, to explain this inconsistency, they came up with the idea that aliens that were against what X was doing on Earth had provided Nambu with the transformation technology. The idea never appeared in the series Planning Establishment or in the series itself (Though it is touched upon indirectly at the end of the OAVs), but that was the explanation the staff came up with at the time.

quote:
Galactor did have that scorpion mecha on the moon in ep. 9 -maybe Dr. Nambu is aware there are aliens out there in space, and that one might have come near enough to Earth to get grabbed by Galactor.

Of course, we see that mecha being sent to the moon from Earth. It's not something that was already up there.

quote:

I'd say its green and chalk it up to being yet another wacky anime hair color. If Tatsunoko had wanted it to be a different color, they could have done so easily enough. We know from all of the other characters that appeared in the series that they had a wide enough color palette that they could have made her hair any color they chose, and they chose green. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to assume that the green was being used to represent anything other than green.

James

No new posts 24-09-2009 16:17 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:

I have no idea, but I suspect the answer is somehow related to the question of how Joe can hide tons of shuriken and/or his gun in the outer thigh of his jeans (one that has always puzzled me).

Katse hides his constume in the same place that the KNT hide their Birdstyles when they're wrapped up as mummies... And where they hide the Birdstyles when they're in the goon outfits.

No new posts 24-09-2009 18:54 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

They all have magical powers....

No new posts 24-09-2009 21:37 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

bishbash Hammerspace! I remember a conversation like this from way back...that's when I first heard about "hammerspace"

hammerspace link

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 24-09-2009 at 22:36.
No new posts 24-09-2009 22:31 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

About the benevolent aliens: Luci Christian and Kim Prause, in an episode commentary, joked that Nambu was an alien, since he knew EVERYTHING. They even dubbed him the 'God Nambu' as another joke.

Since my AU establishes him as human, someone else will have to do the 'Nambu is an alien' storyline. You can borrow the IF I started.

Of course, nothing says that one of his many colleagues can't turn out to be an alien.

Or that he's such a damned genius he could figure it out himself.

I was curious about Jun's hair because there aren't any wacky hair colors on the show. The Devilstars had colorful wigs.

No new posts 25-09-2009 00:32 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I have heard of artists using that shade of green to represent black. Also black paint can have "green" hues to it depending on the way its made. Colour tones can break down over time, and black often looks more green when it ages. (Some of paintings have completely changed colour over time, vibrant colours break down due to UV light. Especially some shades of blue from using lead paint.) Things like that...

Well thats my two cents worth!

(Why can I never find the smilie I'm after...sigh!)

No new posts 25-09-2009 00:38 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Jun's hair sometimes reminded me of the color of my (US Navy) military-issue black socks after a few washings. That's why I wondered if the animators were using another formulation for black on Jun's hair.

No new posts 25-09-2009 00:46 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Colour tones can break down over time, and black often looks more green when it ages. (Some of paintings have completely changed colour over time, vibrant colours break down due to UV light. Especially some shades of blue from using lead paint.) Things like that...

While that may be true with paintings, it has no bearing on a film print. They are two different things, and what applies to one does not apply to the other. That would be like saying that, because silverware will tarnish over time, a photograph of silverware will also tarnish. Besides, if the film had a problem, it would most likely result in a pink hue over everything, not just a black color used for Jun's hair changing to green. That would also not explain why no one else with black hair in the show has green hair. So, simply put, her hair is green, not another color that has altered over time.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 25-09-2009 at 01:20.
No new posts 25-09-2009 01:16 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

While I agree with filming in what you're saying James, but isn't Cartoon/early anime produced differently bcause its hand drawn rather than live actors? Just wondering about the different mediums used on film over time.

No new posts 25-09-2009 02:25 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
While I agree with filming in what you're saying James, but isn't Cartoon/early anime produced differently bcause its hand drawn rather than live actors? Just wondering about the different mediums used on film over time.

Yes, anime at the time Gatchaman was produced was hand-drawn, traced, and painted. By the time of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter, it was still hand drawn, but it used an electronic process similar to photocopy machines to transfer it to the cels. The cels were then hand painted. These days, the images are a combination of hand drawn (Usually with the people) and computer drawn (Usually with mechanical objects, vehicles, buildings, and the like). The hand drawn images are then scanned into a computer and all the coloring and compositing with the background are done electronically before being "printed" only the film. Since most of the work is done in a computer, that is why (With very rare exceptions) you don't find cels for current anime programs.

James

No new posts 25-09-2009 03:50 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

So techniqually speaking the hand painted cels could change in tone or intensity over time depending on the paint used and dyes.

Modern day anime is another kettle of fish.

No new posts 25-09-2009 09:29 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
So techniqually speaking the hand painted cels could change in tone or intensity over time depending on the paint used and dyes.

Yes they technically could, but I do want to reiterate that this would have no effect of the films made of those cels.

As someone who has a selection of cels from Gatchaman, I can tell you that the colors of the paints they used are still as bright and vibrant as they were in the 1970s. On the other hand, the inkwork done when tracing the original pencil drawings to acetate has faded on some cels. Not on all of them, mind you, but it has happened on some.

James

No new posts 25-09-2009 10:21 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

The first time my son and I watched the final episode of the OAV, we not only had the impression transmutation and the birdstyles had come from a bird-like alien, but that the Phoenix was in fact a living entity that took the shape of the ship when it wasn't needed in its fiery form. Keep in mind, neither of us had seen the original Gatchaman at this point and I had only read Wendy's Out of the Shadows to even know Joe was captured, tortured and believed dead.

No new posts 26-09-2009 15:33 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Interesting perceptions! I'd never thought what it would have been like to have seen the OAV before the original series. I didn't see the OAV until shortly after I'd watched the whole first series of the original Gatchaman, and I found the different appearances of the characters (and nearly everything else) very jarring.

No new posts 27-09-2009 01:30 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Back to the hair color for a minute. Many natural ash browns or black hair colors can have a green or even blue appearance. The best way to convey this would be through a dark green color or mixing dark green with dark brown or black depending on the intensity desired. Is it possible that this was the desired effect?

No new posts 27-09-2009 01:41 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Back to the hair color for a minute. Many natural ash browns or black hair colors can have a green or even blue appearance. The best way to convey this would be through a dark green color or mixing dark green with dark brown or black depending on the intensity desired. Is it possible that this was the desired effect?

Or maybe it's green. Why does it have to be anything more than that? Is it really that big a deal?

James

No new posts 27-09-2009 04:09 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Or maybe it's green. Why does it have to be anything more than that? Is it really that big a deal?

James

Nothing's wrong with it. I was just trying to make the argument that green hair could be naturally occurring, and not just limited to anime or color treated hair (although it does occur quite often unintentionally with the latter, and sometimes intentionally). Is it a big deal, not at all, but then again, I once died my hair purple and my daughter currently has faded purple streaks.

No new posts 27-09-2009 04:40 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: