Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Stuff
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Stuff
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
And they could have changed the hair. After all, that's a concept sketch.

Which orignal series characters did Amano design? Any doodles available?

I believe James has said Jun, Katse, and Nambu were Amano.

I'm sure James has more resources, but I scanned some of his Tatsunoko doodles from one of his books I bought.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dx0...ectlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DGM...feat=directlink

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Cain Highwind on 15-09-2009 at 23:54.
No new posts 15-09-2009 23:53 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I sort of figured Katse (especially after that pic of Halicarnassus). And there's Dr. Nambu, in that one-hand-on-the-desk pose we know from the series. Jun is so cute!

No new posts 16-09-2009 00:17 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Which orignal series characters did Amano design? Any doodles available?

Most of Amano's Character Design work on the series came in the form of guest characters for individual episodes, not the main characters. Amano is usually credited with having done initial designs for Jun, Nambu, and Katse, but this assumption doesn't hold up to close scrutiny. Regardless, even if Amano did some of the early designs, the final designs for all the main Gatchaman characters came from the hand of Tatsuo Yoshida. I've never seen any Amano Gatchaman sketches. The only sketches I've seen are are some of Yoshida's early concept drawings.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 16-09-2009 at 00:47.
No new posts 16-09-2009 00:46 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I scanned some of his Tatsunoko doodles from one of his books I bought.

Those images from the Amano book "Imagine" are the main reason why people assume Amano did Jun, Nambu, and Katse. Unfortunately, taking a closer look at the book recently revealed that there's nothing there that states that Amano did their designs. The descriptions by the drawings are just basic character write-ups, not notes from Amano about creating them. The images in that section are associated with a roundtable discussion with Amano and several other animators and designers (Mitsuki Nakamura and Chuichi Iguchi immediately leap to mind), but during the interview itself, the only discussion regarding Gatchaman surrounded Nakamura's work on the God Phoenix, not the characters. The images in that section relate to TV series that are mentioned in the interview, but not specifically to those that Amano designed.

James

No new posts 16-09-2009 00:56 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cain Highwind

Wow I think Sally Jessie Raphael when I see that, or maybe someone from the middle ages.

Poor OAV Dr. Nambu -he was indeed doomed to have a bad hair day!

For me, it's even stranger. I think of this particular family photo. The baby is my grandfather and the boy -that really is a boy- beside him with this same unfortunate hairstyle is his brother, around 1908.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 16-09-2009 at 16:07.
No new posts 16-09-2009 15:35 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Oh, LB, that's so cute ... a treasure of a photo! If you didn't specify that the older boy was your grandfather's brother I would have sweared that it was a girl in the photo! Even the clothing misled me!

No new posts 16-09-2009 17:32 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I guess Nambu goes for a classic hairstyle! Wink

Great picture, LB!

No new posts 16-09-2009 18:26 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Looking into Amano's work on Gatchaman was something that I had intended to do more of after recently looking at the "Imagine" book a little closer, along with numerous other things on the "To do" list. Because the topic has come up, I did some more digging around just to see what I could find. In the video interview with Amano that came with the DVD of the Gatchaman movie, he states right off the bat that he was not involved with the designs for the main characters, but that he created the secondary guest characters once the series started. Since it comes right from his own lips, I'd tend to believe him.

This just goes to prove something I've found to be a very good idea regarding this series -- double and triple check everything, especially if it came from the earlier days of this fandom. More than one long-held belief has been proven wrong this way, and this is now one of them. Until I had looked through "Imagine" again, I too had believed Amano worked on Jun, Nambu, and Katse. But that process of double checking things showed the flaws, and deeper research has proven the error. Well, now we know!

Anyway, if you want to see early Gatchaman design sketches, you need to look for the work of Tatsuo Yoshida, not Yoshitaka Amano.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 16-09-2009 at 20:16.
No new posts 16-09-2009 20:13 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Old photo: I've seen photographs from the 19th Century and early 20th Century, and many boy children wear short pants until they're old enough for long pants. In my copy of 'The Annotated Lovecraft' is a picture of an infant H.P. Lovecraft, who looks like a little girl. I swear, he has a Prince Valiant 'do and a dress.

Too bad about the character designs. But maybe some of the cooler CotWs were Amano's.

No new posts 17-09-2009 00:06 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Too bad about the character designs. But maybe some of the cooler CotWs were Amano's.

He likely did. In the interviews I looked through, he didn't mention too many specific designs he created. He said that much of it was a blur, because he was working on Casshan at the same time. The only specific designs that came up were during a discussion between Amano and Kunio Okawara, where they referred to some of the designs that they collaborated on. These included the Mummy Giant from episode #3, where Amano did the Iron Beast in his mummy form and when he lost his bandages, while Okawara did the designs for the interior mechanism. Amano also did the rough design for Mecha-Buttha in #58 and the Stewardess form of the Stewardess Rocket from #43, with Okawara handling how she transformed into a rocket. Amano also did the designs for Dr. Ogawara and Nakamora from episode #59 (Whose names, but not their appearances, were based off of Okawara and Mitsuki Nakamura, the two Mechanical Designers for Gatchaman).

And is there something wrong with Tatsuo Yoshida having done the designs? I happen to think that he was a very talented artist.

James

No new posts 17-09-2009 00:53 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
In my copy of 'The Annotated Lovecraft' is a picture of an infant H.P. Lovecraft, who looks like a little girl. I swear, he has a Prince Valiant 'do and a dress.

"Prince Valiant 'do" -that's it! No wonder Cain thought Nambu's hair looked medieval. Wasn't Lovecraft from New England? My grandfather's family was in Connecticut -maybe that style for boys was especially popular in New England? I can see the practical advantage to keeping small children of both genders in dresses though -easier to get at the diapers for changing.

No new posts 17-09-2009 01:15 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

The OAV Nambu shows several hundred good reasons why the employment of a Stylist for some people is essential.

And it's so obvious that he hasn't had much time with the team - can you imagine a female letting him go out looking like that!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 19-09-2009 22:16 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: