Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Stuff
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Stuff
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Stuff Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Opinion: the OAV is not canon for the Gatch series. It's a re-imagining of the series, so it's an AU (rather like the new version of Battlestar Galactica is a reimagining/AU of the original BSG).

On that note: can we have some picture galleries for the characters from the OAV and the sequel series? With ID so that the non-obsessed can identify the characters? TJ tells me that Dr. Pandora is a gorgeous redhead, and I would like to see if my mental image (based on what I know of anime) comes anywhere close.

Vehicles: Joe's car and Jun's motorcycle are too low slung to go off-road. They look cool, but they'd be torn apart or caught on the rough ground in real life.

Ryu/Tiny need not be buff (although that is preferable). Think of Sammo Hung, Hong Kong action star. 250 pounds, moves like Jackie Chan (with whom he made a number of movies).

Ran out of thoughts. 'See' you later.

No new posts 14-09-2009 23:04 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

quote:
Opinion: the OAV is not canon for the Gatch series.

I don't think anyone is going to argue with that.

quote:
TJ tells me that Dr. Pandora is a gorgeous redhead, and I would like to see if my mental image (based on what I know of anime) comes anywhere close.

You can see some pictures of Pandora in this thread:

Here's to Dr. Pandora!

James

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 14-09-2009 at 23:40.
No new posts 14-09-2009 23:37 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

My idea was a tad more stacked, and not quite so 1970s. Too many decades.

(And what was that about shooting Nambu in the head?)

Gel Sadra looked interesting. More like Berg Katse's kid than Pandora's (at least in profile).

And I could not get to the fics. My computer did not like the zip files. I have trouble with zip files, because I'm not that sort of nerd.

No new posts 15-09-2009 00:16 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
Ryu/Tiny need not be buff (although that is preferable). Think of Sammo Hung, Hong Kong action star. 250 pounds, moves like Jackie Chan (with whom he made a number of movies)..

I am not going to be one to disagree with you on Ryu/Tiny's looks. I think 250 and muscular (not over muscular), not over weight (or fat) is preferable. I think this image of Ryu drawn by Diinzumo is one of my Favs. and give a good impression.

No new posts 15-09-2009 00:18 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

And since it's oh-so-tempting, I'll plug my Eagle Riders site, where you can see a bunch of Gatch II/F screenshots. The episodes that introduced Dr. Pandora were 23 and 24.

Eagle Riders Episode Guide

For the OAVs, you can download the first episode for free (there are 3 episodes).

Gatchaman OAV Download

Oh shoot... going to that site it looks like they removed the episode. It's just the trailer now. At least you can get an idea.

And of course, if you want to get other ideas of what the OAVs are like, you can watch these:

Wanted Dead or Alive

And my personal favorite:

Gatchaman 94

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 15-09-2009 at 00:19.
No new posts 15-09-2009 00:19 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I always think of Ryu/Tiny being very strong and more like a weightlifter than just overweight. He'd have to be fit to be on the team, why put someone on an elite team that's totally lazy and can't even run around the block.

No new posts 15-09-2009 01:05 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

When I first saw BOTP, I figured that Tiny was based on sumo wrestlers. I didn't know that much about Japan, and it seemed logical to me that sumo wrestlers (as large, physically powerful men) would be the model for strong men in the series. The BOTP version of Serigo Ruiz sort of confirmed it for me. Another big, strong, fellow who wasn't built on the Mr. Universe model.

No new posts 15-09-2009 01:11 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I think the sumo wrestler idea is probably where the artists got their idea for Ryu's "structure" but honestly I do not think a sumo wrestler could run very fast or far.

I know in the show they never really show Ryu running any distance, or leaving the Phoenix much - except on the RI island base, but I honestly believe he had to be able to keep up with the rest of the team to be able to remain a member.

I like to think he was used as much more than just a driver who would sit and wait for the others to return, but then I am pulling this from my AU so I guess I can have him do what ever I want.

No new posts 15-09-2009 01:36 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Saw the Gatchaman '94 short.

Serious coolness factor on the vehicles and new uniforms/costumes for most of the characters. Still a bit on the sidelines on the Berg Katse outfit (aside from the new mask and over-cape). And is the 'Eyeball Tower' the Galactor base? It looks like the Galactor captains and goons are COMPETENT (or at least worthy foes).

As for Ryu/Tiny: Sumo wrestlers are not known for long-distance running, but you can say the same for bodybuilders. It is the type.

Maybe Ryu can't run a marathon, but he could be that fellow who could outlast the marathon runner in the long term. He strolls across the finish line, well past the runner who has collapsed from exhaustion.

No new posts 15-09-2009 02:00 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
And is the 'Eyeball Tower' the Galactor base?

No, that's the redesign for X.

James

No new posts 15-09-2009 02:17 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
Serious coolness factor on the vehicles and new uniforms/costumes for most of the characters. Still a bit on the sidelines on the Berg Katse outfit (aside from the new mask and over-cape). And is the 'Eyeball Tower' the Galactor base? It looks like the Galactor captains and goons are COMPETENT (or at least worthy foes).

I always call the OAVs the 'LOTR treatment for Gatchaman'. Beautiful, gorgeous (except for Nambu)... and plain and flat with one dimensional characters.

No new posts 15-09-2009 02:21 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
I always call the OAVs the 'LOTR treatment for Gatchaman'. Beautiful, gorgeous (except for Nambu)... and plain and flat with one dimensional characters.

ITA with you on your comment regarding Dr Nambu here! I just couldn't accept his new image! Jun was beautiful but I was disappointed in not seeing her gorgeous, long, dark hair!

No new posts 15-09-2009 07:06 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
ITA with you on your comment regarding Dr Nambu here! I just couldn't accept his new image!

It could have been worse -- here's an early design sketch for the OAV Nambu. The man was doomed from the start to have a bad hair day.

At least this suit might have ended up being better looking than the poor man's Doctor Who outfit that he ended up wearing...

James

No new posts 15-09-2009 15:08 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-08-2006

spacer

Oh my God, Nambu has Jun`s haircut.

Breathe in and breathe out

No new posts 15-09-2009 15:52 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

I agree with you, James, regarding Dr Nambu's suit! At least it would have somehow upgraded his appearance! As for the hair, no comment! But wait ... you're right, Yul, it is Jun's haircut!

No new posts 15-09-2009 17:06 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

I'd rather had Nambu look like that in the OAVs. Except for the haircut, which looks more like a wig, his clothes look more like the original version (to read: normal) At least his glasses have earpieces!

No new posts 15-09-2009 18:58 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Only Jon Pertwee could carry off the 3rd Doctor's look, and not come across as gay or ridiculous.

Wonder if they were inspired by that?

Leader X as a giant eyeball in a tower? I suddenly prefer the bird-head.

No new posts 15-09-2009 23:12 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I agree that the design James posted for Dr. Nambu is far better than what they ended up with!

No new posts 15-09-2009 23:18 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And they could have changed the hair. After all, that's a concept sketch.

Which orignal series characters did Amano design? Any doodles available?

No new posts 15-09-2009 23:32 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

quote:
ITA with you on your comment regarding Dr Nambu here! I just couldn't accept his new image!

It could have been worse -- here's an early design sketch for the OAV Nambu. The man was doomed from the start to have a bad hair day.

At least this suit might have ended up being better looking than the poor man's Doctor Who outfit that he ended up wearing...

James

Wow I think Sally Jessie Raphael when I see that, or maybe someone from the middle ages.

No new posts 15-09-2009 23:35 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: