Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » To be or not to be: that is the question about copirights
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page To be or not to be: that is the question about copirights
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-08-2006

spacer
Question To be or not to be: that is the question about copirights Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

As you can see in my signature, I`m an adversary of inserting copirights in self-made creations, but it`s my own principle. But when question is concerned with using another people`s things I want to be respectful.

Ok, the problem is: I have about 60 episodes of Gatch II and F from Pandora TV on my hard-disk and some people want to watch them on Youtube. I don`t know how to ask permission of those Pandora uploaders (my Korean is too poor lostmuse). On the one hand they don`t own Gatchaman, on the other hand Pandora is the only source of these episodes (furthermore, there are Korean subs).

So, what I supposed to do? Do not upload at all?
Upload without any ethical torments? Paste the note every time that I don`t want to steal anything, but watching on Pandora is so slow and difficult for non-Koreans?

Breathe in and breathe out

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by yul on 13-09-2009 at 10:18.
No new posts 13-09-2009 10:12 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

I just want to get this straight: you're concern is about taking the episodes of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter from Pandora and putting them on YouTube because you're bothered by the ethics of stealing the efforts of the person who loaded them onto Pandora, but not because you're bothered by the ethics of stealing the efforts of the studio that originally created them?

James

No new posts 13-09-2009 12:25 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

I just want to get this straight: you're concern is about taking the episodes of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter from Pandora and putting them on YouTube because you're bothered by the ethics of stealing the efforts of the person who loaded them onto Pandora, but not because you're bothered by the ethics of stealing the efforts of the studio that originally created them?

James

James, Tatsunoko is a great studio and its creations are inimitable. But what I (or somebody else) have to do if series aren`t on sale and there aren`t any expectancies for it. I really WANT TO BUY but nobody wants to sell. So, I don`t think that it is stealing. After all, Youtube users don`t get any commercial profit. And I also don`t have an aim to become a popular uploader in this way (BTW, I hate ratings). I just want to popularize Gatch and help another people to find it easy. Knight

Smile

No new posts 13-09-2009 15:16 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

I'm not a lawyer, but because of the type of work I do when actually employed and volunteer work I usually do when not working, I'm familiar with copyrights (to the extent that my last discussion on them ended with me and my cousin not speaking with each other).

The copyright belongs to the creator, whether it is claimed (registered) immediately or not. It applies to physical creations and intellectual property (vague, huh). Copyrights do expire, but can be renewed (though not indefinitely). Copyrights and publishing rights are different, which is why we can write fanfiction or create fan art and post (note the verb) to share, not sell, with others.

As I said earlier, I'm not a lawyer, therefore I cannot legally advise you on what to do. However, I'm fairly certain that if you do post them, if there is a problem with them being copyrighted or violating someone else's publishing rights Youtube will usually remove them before it becomes an issue. They may also block your account.

No new posts 13-09-2009 15:22 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
But what I (or somebody else) have to do if series aren`t on sale and there aren`t any expectancies for it. I really WANT TO BUY but nobody wants to sell.

But they are available to buy. They have been released on DVD in Japan, and people outside of Japan can purchase them from places like Amazon Japan or CD Japan. I'll be happy to provide links if that's what you need. Since these versions are in straight Japanese, not an English dub or with English subtitles, the typical "But I want them in English" excuse doesn't apply.

quote:
So, I don`t think that it is stealing.

I suspect that Tatsunoko would disagree.

Regardless, since you don't care about Tatsunoko's rights in this matter, why are you concerned with whatever non-existent rights the person who illegally uploaded them onto Pandora has?

James

No new posts 13-09-2009 15:34 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Yul, i think your biggest concern in this case would be that Youtube will likely pull the videos and probably delete your account, if you post them.

No new posts 13-09-2009 15:41 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by yul
I just want to popularize Gatch and help another people to find it easy. Knight

Smile

Which is an admirable thing! But as TJ said, they might delete your account for doing it, so I recommend you to make a new one for this job!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by amyltrer on 13-09-2009 at 16:05.
No new posts 13-09-2009 16:04 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
But they are available to buy. They have been released on DVD in Japan, and people outside of Japan can purchase them from places like Amazon Japan or CD Japan. I'll be happy to provide links if that's what you need. Since these versions are in straight Japanese, not an English dub or with English subtitles, the typical "But I want them in English" excuse doesn't apply.

Copyrights issue always generates holywars Smile

James, in practice everything isn`t so easy:
1. I want to remind that not all the people in the world are English or Japanese native speakers. And "But I want them only in <insert language>" often annoys me too. I have never watch the most part of Gatch episodes in native language and for me it isn`t a big problem.
2. Amazon Japan or CD Japan doesn`t work with all countries and even if they write that they do, it means nothing, local dealers may deny such orders. There are also problems with money order. Or local dealer may fix SUCH prices for carriage that the price of DVD is a very small % of it. Really. I have already tried.

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofanI suspect that Tatsunoko would disagree.

Regardless, since you don't care about Tatsunoko's rights in this matter, why are you concerned with whatever non-existent rights the person who illegally uploaded them onto Pandora has?

There are a lot of Gatch I episodes on Youtube and Tatsunoko hasn`t raised an objection yet.
James, judge by all your posts you are the best Gatchaman expert between us that sometimes made me think that you are concerned with our favorite studio Smile Is it really so and your position is official opinion?
BTW, I`m not afraid of deleting my Youtube account. If only just Tatsunoko think so, not anybody else.

As for Pandora users, ripping/decompressing/uploading video is also a work, sometimes very boring and long and I want to be respectful.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by yul on 13-09-2009 at 16:43.
No new posts 13-09-2009 16:42 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Amazon Japan or CD Japan doesn`t work with all countries and even if they write that they do, it means nothing, local dealers may deny such orders.

I'm not sure exactly how local dealers stop an order sent directly to you through the mail, but I'll take your word for it. All I know is that, in America, I've never had a problem with an order from either CD Japan or Amazon Japan. Have you tried a proxy service, like Celga, which can place a proxy order for you on a website like Amazon Japan, and ship the items to you once they have received it? Or having the items shipped from Amazon Japan or CD Japan to a friend in another country, who could then forawrd it to you in non-Amazon or CD Japan packaging?

quote:
There are a lot of Gatch I episodes on Youtube and Tatsunoko hasn`t raised an objection yet.

I never said that they had. I only said that Tatsunoko would likely consider putting their material on a website like YouTube (Or Pandora, for that matter) to be stealing, even if you don't think of it as such.

quote:
Is it really so and your position is official opinion?

An official position would be that yes, I am concerned about Tatsunoko, and I believe it would be best if people did not illegally distribute their works.

I am also realistic enough to know that this is not how the world works, and that it's going to happen whether I like it or not.

quote:
As for Pandora users, ripping/decompressing/uploading video is also a work, sometimes very boring and long and I want to be respectful.

And that's what gets me -- you want to be respectful to the person who illegally uploaded the material, but you have no problem being disrespectful to the people who created the material in the first place. It's that double standard that makes no sense to me.

James

No new posts 13-09-2009 17:24 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Copying and loading onto a video onto a site is no different than loading an essay or story onto a site, it is time consuming work but it is not intellectual property, and therefore not copyrightable; the actual video or other art is. Therefore, if you have downloaded Gatch II or F from another site, the copyright remains with the Tatsonuko. If the subbing was down with permission, then the copyright belongs to either the persons responsible for the subbing and/or Tatsonuko depending upon the agreement. If the subbing was a fan sub there might be copyright on it; if said fan then posted it to share, they are in copyright violation with the video which trumps any claim they may make on the subbing.

No new posts 13-09-2009 17:44 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
And that's what gets me -- you want to be respectful to the person who illegally uploaded the material, but you have no problem being disrespectful to the people who created the material in the first place. It's that double standard that makes no sense to me.

James, I`ve already downloaded and watched a huge number of the series, even uploaded some of them, so I`ve already a stealer and you may already think that I`m very vile and evil person.
We can only suppose that people from Tatsunoko think about all this things. And our opinions are only our ones, ok?

Benining of emotional content -> As I`ve already said, I hold in high respect Tatsunoko, Gatchaman is one of my favorite anime, so I`m here. When I was a child, I found Gatch series by pure accident, but they influenced on me a lot and may be even made reflect on some important things. And I know that I`m not the only one. If somebody find them by pure accident too, it will be cool. If somebody find them and become nostalgic, it will be cool. De-ure it is a crime to share it, de-facto the crime is not to share some rarity. Call me Robin Hood or f******g pirate. <-End of emotional content.

BTW, some pictures just for fun:

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by yul on 13-09-2009 at 23:33.
No new posts 13-09-2009 23:23 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
James, I`ve already downloaded and watched a huge number of the series, even uploaded some of them, so I`ve already a stealer and you may already think that I`m very vile and evil person.

Look, I'm not going to call you a pirate or rant and rave about either how you're an evil person, nor will I praise you for providing a noble service by sharing rare material. All I want is an explanation regarding your initial dilema over whether or not you should use the videos uploaded by the person who put them on Pandora. I still do not understand why you find it a problem to steal these videos when you have no problem with that material being stolen from someone else in the first place. It's more of an ethical question than a question of piracy or copyrights. Simply put, why is it okay to steal from one source (Tatsunoko), but not from the other (The person who uploaded the videos)?

James

No new posts 14-09-2009 00:05 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Because stealing from another stealers is new for me unlike stealing from Tatsunoko, so I need an advice, LOL.
The serious answer of this question has already been earlier, sometimes I work with video and know that pre-uploading operations may be exhausting too.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by yul on 14-09-2009 at 00:40.
No new posts 14-09-2009 00:39 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Well, from a completely dispassionate perspective, it would seem to me that, your first hand knowledge of the work involved in the process notwithstanding, stealing from one source is the same as stealing from another.

You may not have first hand knowledge of the work that was involved in creating an episode of Gatchaman II or Gatchaman Fighter, but I can guarantee you that the work there was exhausting too, and was more laborious than the prep work for uploading a video. All things being equal, if you have no concern for the one, then you should have no concern for the other.

James

No new posts 14-09-2009 01:04 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer

WHOA! Video uploading is TEH SEERIUS BIZNESS

I'm kinda with James in the sense that it's rather perplexing that you're worried about the (likely illegal) uploader's rights and not Tatsunoko's.

My thoughts on Fansubs and the like: The general consensus I've heard from various North American distributors is that if the Anime isn't available in your country/language, then yeah, fansubs/uploaded RAWS are "okay". Not legal sure, but Anime studios definitely see the plus sides of making the series more well known to a foreign audience through the "grassroots" manner of fansub trading.

Once it's officially licensed though, you're obligated to delete any fansubs you may have and support the DVDs released in your region. That's how it's been with Anime for the last few years though we're starting to see more American-Japanese partnerships in the form of Simulcasts (Official Subs that are released simultaneously alongside Japanese Broadcasts) I wish Tatsunoko could join the same bandwagon that TMS and Kadokawa are on and start legally streaming their library of titles on Youtube, but I think we're still a long ways away from that.

I say go for it! But instead of Youtube, go with Veoh. There' no 10 minute limit and ironically, there's already a TON of Tatsunoko shows uploaded by fans on there (Yatterman 2008, Akubi-chan, Casshern OVA, and Battle of the Planets)

No new posts 14-09-2009 03:11 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I agree with Cain on Veoh vs Youtube. But you've got to be careful on the upload format, to watch some videos requires special player programs and watch their bandwidth, when it gets too much traffic the streaming is often cut off. However, when it works it is smooth and the quality of the video is as good as the upload in most cases.

However, as James says, before you upload this get your priorities straight: if your not worried about stealing (which is basically what copyright infringement is) from the original owner, then why be worried about stealing from the thief?

No new posts 14-09-2009 04:14 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cain Highwind

I say go for it! But instead of Youtube, go with Veoh. There' no 10 minute limit and ironically, there's already a TON of Tatsunoko shows uploaded by fans on there (Yatterman 2008, Akubi-chan, Casshern OVA, and Battle of the Planets)

Cain I don't know about the length limit since there are videos on youtube longer than 10 minutes. And Veoh have restricted access to east european countries.

No new posts 14-09-2009 09:05 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I need fresh Gatchfacepalm.jpg-s.

quote:

Not for me, but I doesn`t mean that somebody else think so. I just want to say thanks for somebody besides Tatsunoko and think that it is easy to understand (or difficult, it depends on your psychology). Just thanks, nothing more. And I don`t say that uploaders have real "rights".
As for ethics, Veoh and Youtube are absolutely similar. And I agree with Amy, Veoh absolutely s**ks in some places.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by yul on 14-09-2009 at 12:38.
No new posts 14-09-2009 12:27 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

James,

Can you PM me the links if possible for celga - I think I willhave to go that route as shipping for some to the Uk is difficult.

I think I am lucky in that at work currently they are offering a variety of languages to learn at a discounted rate, I am hoping this will give me a push and incentive to do something I have wanted to do even before I knew BOTP was Gatch.

Thanks

No new posts 14-09-2009 14:23 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:

I'm kinda with James in the sense that it's rather perplexing that you're worried about the (likely illegal) uploader's rights and not Tatsunoko's.

I think that age-old adage, "There is honour among thieves," might explain it. The whole matter of copyright and a person or company's right to be compensated for use of their creations/ideas is, in this world of ours, something that's straight forward in theory but more messier and complicated in practice, it seems to me. I guess my own hands are "dirty" here -I've watched Gatch II and F clips on Pandora, and told a couple other people "Hey, there's this site where you can see Gatch II and F!" so, in a sense, I'm not much different from the people at Pandora. Were I willing to really gouge my finances, I could afford to buy legit copies of Gatch II and Gatch F from Japan (and I hope to someday) but I haven't done that yet.

No new posts 14-09-2009 18:17 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: