Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » UnpublishedWriter
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page UnpublishedWriter
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by amyltrer
Kudos, Gatchmarie, you did and wonderful summary to the Gatch F series!

Amy, it's an honour that my summary passed the test from Ego's number one fan!

No new posts 08-09-2009 18:43 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

As for Gel Sadra, she was a four year old girl who was transformed by X into an adult so that she could control Galactor. In reality, Gel Sadra was Sammie Pandora, daughter of Sylvie Pandora (Dr. Nambu's assistant).

Look for the Egobossler and Gel Sadra tributes in the General Discussion section of this board to find out more about them!

No new posts 09-09-2009 01:22 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Look for the Egobossler and Gel Sadra tributes in the General Discussion section of this board to find out more about them!

And to make them easier to find, here they are:

Gel Sadra

Egobossler

For more detailed information on Egobossler, you'd probably be better off checking out this thread:

Gatchaman Fighter Villains

James

No new posts 09-09-2009 02:53 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Unfortunately, as has been discussed here before, the series offers no explanation as to why he colored his skin and bleached his hair.

Total speculation on my part: Berg Katse and Gel Sadra were both blonds, and Katse's name sort of suggests German heritage. If we assume that in Japanese thinking, decades ago, "germanic-looking" equaled "evil" (a legacy of WWII in popular culture, or resentment of Western Imperialism, perhaps) then it makes sense that Count Egobossler might be given the ultimate in evil hair -pure white! As for the blue skin, I can only think that it might be somehow related to "Prussian Blue" -it seems to me that he's very much modeled after a Prussian "Junker".

No new posts 09-09-2009 16:07 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I have noticed that as well, LB. Being of Germanic heritage myself, I saw that the villains in the series tended to be Germanic, and anyone with blonde hair is seen as a 'bad guy', even if they 'reform' later in the episode. You might be right about connecting that with Egobossler.

No new posts 09-09-2009 16:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
If we assume that in Japanese thinking, decades ago, "germanic-looking" equaled "evil"

And if we forget that Germany and Japan were allies...

Regardless, I wouldn't leap to that conclusion. While I can point out a number of blond villains in anime, I can just as easily point out a number of non-blond anime villains as well.

But, to be fair, you are correct that both Berg Katse and Gel Sadra's names are based on German words. Berg Katse comes from the German "berg katze," meaning "wildcat."

With Gel Sadra, Tatsunoko was trying to keep with a similar stylistic theming for her name, so they based her name off of the German words "Gier" and "Sadist," meaning "ambitious" and "cruel" (At least to the Japanese).

Trying to keep a similar style between Katse and Sadra is also the likely reason why Sadra had blond hair -- to emulate Katse, not to say "Blond = Evil." Both wore purple outfits too, but that doesn't mean the Japanese think that purple is the color of evil.

So, while it's a fun thought, it not one that holds up well under closer scrutiny.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 10-09-2009 at 00:10.
No new posts 09-09-2009 16:42 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Now that you both have mentioned it, I too had that impression, especially with the Gatch F series! Egobossler's dictatorship and the classification of his "family" as being better than any race and that they only should rule had pushed these thoughts in my mind a lot of times.

Maybe he wanted his skin to be blue to emphasize the fact that he was really of "blue blood", ie royal blood ran through his veins!

No new posts 09-09-2009 16:55 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Egobossler's dictatorship and the classification of his "family" as being better than any race and that they only should rule had pushed these thoughts in my mind a lot of times.

You're misinterpretting the use of the word "family" to mean a connection by blood or genetics, which in this case it does not. The "Egobossler Family" is meant to be interpretted in the same manner as one would the a Mafia "family." They're a gang of thugs who have banded together as a group that they are calling a "family," not people who assume that they are genetically superior to other races.

quote:
Maybe he wanted his skin to be blue to emphasize the fact that he was really of "blue blood", ie royal blood ran through his veins!

More likely Tatsunoko was hoping to attract people who were fans of what was by far the most popular anime TV and movie series of the time, Space Battleship Yamato. When the first Yamato movie was released in 1977, it was to Japan what Star Wars was to American cinema during that same year (Star Wars didn't hit Japan until 1978). The box office success of Yamato brought about what is known as the "Anime Boom," and is in no small part responsible for the existence of Gatchaman II as anime series and movies became a hot ticket item.

Yamato followed up its movie success with a sequel movie in the August of 1978, a second TV series that started in October of 1978 (The first Yamato movie was based off of the first Yamato TV series from 1973), and a TV special in July of 1979. All of these were unqualified successes.

Why is this significant to Egobossler? Because the lead villain in the first Yamato TV series/first movie was Leader Dessler, an alien leader with blue skin. The character was quite popular, and appeared in all of the subsequent Yamato films and TV series.

Here's what Dessler looks like:

Like Egobossler, Dessler acted very much the nobleman, and he would often be seen with a glass of alcohol. It was fairly obvious to everyone at the time that Egobossler was...well, let's be polite and just say that he was "inspired" by Dessler.

So, if you really want to know why Egobossler has blue skin, look no further than the most popular anime series at the time he was being created, and the answer becomes fairly obvious.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 09-09-2009 at 17:40.
No new posts 09-09-2009 17:36 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
Now that you both have mentioned it, I too had that impression, especially with the Gatch F series! Egobossler's dictatorship and the classification of his "family" as being better than any race and that they only should rule had pushed these thoughts in my mind a lot of times.!

I don't know, I never had the feeling while watching Gatch F that Egobossler had anything against a particular nation/ethnical group. True, that he wasted entire cities in his rush for territorial conquests, but I had the feeling he regarded the victims as collateral damage. "I fought a thousand battles and I learned that in order to conquer the world I can't show any mercy "

As more, he tried to induct newly conquered nations in his Gallactor syndicate. (Episode 4 - "!Parlon's citizens are at Galactor's service, now! ")

He had indeed a lot of similarities with the Prussian ideal, manners, etiquete and principles.

quote:

That's an interesting pov about Egobossler, one that never crossed my mind! Kudos! Smirk

Though he comes from a minor nobility class, and his blood is only half noble!

No new posts 09-09-2009 17:41 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

Nice this Dessler guy. Prince Lotor from Voltron was another blue-skinned villain. Looks like japanese anime makers associated unnatural complexion with evilness!

No new posts 09-09-2009 17:45 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Prince Lotor from Voltron was another blue-skinned villain. Looks like japanese anime makers associated unnatural complexion with evilness!

Or at least with being an alien. By the way, it should be noted that, when Go Lion/Lion Force Voltron was being created in early 1981, the third Yamato TV series was currently airing, and the third successful Yamato movie had been released in August of 1980, so the influence of Yamato on other anime series was still riding high.

James

No new posts 09-09-2009 17:55 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Now that you both have mentioned it, I too had that impression, especially with the Gatch F series! Egobossler's dictatorship and the classification of his "family" as being better than any race and that they only should rule had pushed these thoughts in my mind a lot of times.

He did take 'blue blooded royal' to an extreme! I love writing his character more than the other villians because he's not a creation of Z's. He's there out of his own ambition and want for more power, and has more respect amongst his men than any of the others did.

No new posts 09-09-2009 21:53 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

Here's what Dessler looks like:

Thank you, James! I didn't know about this Dessler character, but Egobossler's resemblance to him is, I agree, very apparent!

No new posts 10-09-2009 03:26 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

quote:
Egobossler's dictatorship and the classification of his "family" as being better than any race and that they only should rule had pushed these thoughts in my mind a lot of times.

You're misinterpretting the use of the word "family" to mean a connection by blood or genetics, which in this case it does not. The "Egobossler Family" is meant to be interpretted in the same manner as one would the a Mafia "family."

That's why I wrote the word "family" in between inverted commas as I did not refer to any specific blood connection but just to a group of people who considered themselves as part of a big family!

quote:

More likely Tatsunoko was hoping to attract people who were fans of what was by far the most popular anime TV and movie series of the time, Space Battleship Yamato.

Why is this significant to Egobossler? Because the lead villain in the first Yamato TV series/first movie was Leader Dessler, an alien leader with blue skin. The character was quite popular, and appeared in all of the subsequent Yamato films and TV series.

Like Egobossler, Dessler acted very much the nobleman, and he would often be seen with a glass of alcohol. It was fairly obvious to everyone at the time that Egobossler was...well, let's be polite and just say that he was "inspired" by Dessler.

That makes a whole lot of sense! Thanks James as you brought back to me more memories from my childhood! I'm remembering Dessler now!

No new posts 10-09-2009 14:47 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
I love writing his character more than the other villians because he's not a creation of Z's. He's there out of his own ambition and want for more power, and has more respect amongst his men than any of the others did.

ITA!!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gatchamarie on 10-09-2009 at 14:49.
No new posts 10-09-2009 14:49 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And just to abide with our WWII connections this is an extract from www.tatsunoko.co.jp:

GATCHAMAN-F

48 thirty-minute episodes.
Generalissimo X has been destroyed, but the alien being is able to renew itself as Generalissimo Z for a final assault against Earth. Its new leader for Gallactor is the blue-skinned Egobosura, a would-be Hitler with a determination to destroy the Earth if he cannot conquer it. The pace in this final GATCHAMAN series becomes frantic as Gallactor hammers the Earth with increasingly devastating attacks, and the Gatchaman Fighters must resort to near-suicidal risks to nullify them.

... where I highlight the "would-be Hitler" part!

No new posts 10-09-2009 19:08 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
And just to abide with our WWII connections this is an extract from www.tatsunoko.co.jp:

GATCHAMAN-F

48 thirty-minute episodes.
Generalissimo X has been destroyed, but the alien being is able to renew itself as Generalissimo Z for a final assault against Earth. Its new leader for Gallactor is the blue-skinned Egobosura, a would-be Hitler with a determination to destroy the Earth if he cannot conquer it. The pace in this final GATCHAMAN series becomes frantic as Gallactor hammers the Earth with increasingly devastating attacks, and the Gatchaman Fighters must resort to near-suicidal risks to nullify them.

... where I highlight the "would-be Hitler" part!

Yup, just finished seeing episode 3. One similarity between Ego and Hitler consisted in his quick attacks that devasted whatever ressitance they have met and took over the country. Very much like Hitler's blitzkriegs.

No new posts 10-09-2009 19:18 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Very much like Hitler's blitzkriegs.

Indeed!

Honestly, if you watch the first 15 episodes of Gatchaman Fighter, those stories come across very much as if Tatsunoko was trying to redo the European Campaign in WWII, right down to having Egobossler's troops first spread across Irope and then move into North Agrica, at which point the tide finally turns and the U.N. forces begin to push his forces back.

By playing this more or less like a real war, it gave the series a different attitude in its storytelling, but I suspect that it backfired. Fans of the original series and new fans who had watched Gatchaman II were likely put off by the change in direction, which is probably why the series wrapped up the WWII-inspired stories quickly over episode #'s 14 and 15, returning things to a more traditional Gatchaman series pattern in the episodes that immediately followed.

James

No new posts 10-09-2009 19:34 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Hi all!

quote:
If we assume that in Japanese thinking, decades ago, "germanic-looking" equaled "evil"

And if we forget that Germany and Japan were allies...

Heh, true. Granted, the United States and the Soviet Union were allies, and didn't exactly hold favorable opinions of each other in the decades following. I guess my idea of "germanic=evil" is also comes from watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, where the character Asuka is such an arrogant, obnoxious brat and it's specified that she's German -easily a complete coincidence though. I think that Fullmetal Alchemist's "Shambala" movie too, also got me thinking along these lines, as the villains are the "Thule Society" from 1920s Germany.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 11-09-2009 at 01:36.
No new posts 11-09-2009 01:29 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

Of course, Asuka had red hair, not blond, so she doesn't fit in well with your initial proposal that the Japanese viewed blond (Or white) hair, or "Germanic-looking" (By which I assume you mean the Aryan ideal of blond hair and blue eyes) as something associated with evil people.

James

No new posts 11-09-2009 02:04 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: