Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » The art of motherhood
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The art of motherhood
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
The art of motherhood Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

From Yahoo news, not Ananova for a change.

quote:
Woman to give birth in art gallery

BERLIN (Reuters) - A Berlin couple plan to have their first baby at an art gallery, the gallery owner said on Saturday, confirming a newspaper report.

"It's a gift to humanity, a once in a lifetime thing," Bild newspaper quoted Winfried Witt, partner of mother-to-be Ramune Gele, as saying.

Johann Novak, manager of the DNA-Galerie in central Berlin, said the artistic couple wanted to challenge conventional norms.

"It's a bit of test to see if society can cope," he said in a telephone interview.

About 30 people are expected to attend the birth, scheduled for April 24. They would be told to come to the gallery as soon as the 27-year-old Gele's contractions became regular, Witt was quoted as saying.

Novak said the gallery, which usually shows installations and video art, would be closed during the birth. "The private aspect will be maintained," he said.

Another gallery owner in the street said: "I find it mad."

Birth as art?

I recall that when UK uber topless model Jordan was pregnant with her first child, she initially planned to make the birth into a pay-per-view internet event. It didn't happen, possibly due to professional advice that the guys who love to look at her tits might be put off by watching her push a baby out of the other bits they like to fantasise about. But I wonder, did she look on the idea as art rather than as a publicity stunt?

Is an event that happens every day to thousands of women, and some time in the life of (probably) more than half of all women even in nations with very low birth rates, art?

What if the birth is a difficult one requiring intervention? Is the ventousse/forceps/c-section also art? I wonder, would the audience stay?

What do you think?

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 17-04-2005 13:18 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I have seen rats do it, so I guess its not art.

(she had 16 cubs and they all survived with a bit of help.)

No new posts 17-04-2005 15:40 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Eh, even with today's technology, problems with birthing are *very* common. I hope that, at the very least, they have an extremely good midwife.

Of course, most midwives wouldn't let the mother do this. I guess it's the mother's choice. I just feel that I wouldn't make the same decision.

As for its artistic value...art is becoming odder and odder. But I guess it's to be expected. After all, galleries have askew florescent lights and upside-down toilets...

No new posts 17-04-2005 22:31 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer

As much as I love art, so called 'performance' art has never really tweaked my interest. As for birth. I suppose you can make a profit at anything if you put your mind and dignity to it.

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 17-04-2005 23:11 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

I think this just adds to the "perfect delivery" expectation for the start of motherhood. I know many women who were disappointed because they "missed out" on a perfect and natural childbirth experience. (I'd like stats sometime on how many women had the delivery they wanted and/or were expecting.)

I like Viki Iovine's line: You are on this Earth and you are a mother. You are therefore an Earth Mother.

Fortunately, it doesn't take long before all the rest of the reality of motherhood overshadows the delivery.

As for the blood and sweat and tears and other fluids, and yelling at anyone even remotely involved because you haven't slept in 24 hours and expect another six hours of pain, and then being totally in charge of the wellbeing of a creature who can't even hold its head up? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 18-04-2005 17:46 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Lolabella Lolabella is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2004

spacer

Birth as Art? Nope.

Simply put...birth is life.

Although one might argue that art imitates life...

But in this instance art cannot be imitating life since Life is in the process of living....

My head is spinning....

No new posts 19-04-2005 01:27 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
eagle_G1 eagle_G1 is a Female

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-01-2005

spacer

too bizarre.

all i can say is i hope for everyone present that the birth goes as smooothly as a birth can. If anything goes wrong i hate to think of any lawsuits and i don't mean from the birthing couple, i'm referring to witnesses.

when your surrounded by turkeys.......

No new posts 19-04-2005 07:36 eagle_G1 is offline Send an Email to eagle_G1 Search for Posts by eagle_G1 Add eagle_G1 to your Buddy List Add eagle_G1 to your Contact List YIM Screenname: mystress_mayhem
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

"It's a bit of test to see if society can cope" as the article says. If anyone raises lawsuits (I don't think Germans are particularly litigious) then I suppose it will have proved the point....

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 19-04-2005 20:14 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Tajiri Tajiri is a Male

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer

I remember going to an art gallery years ago on a field trip and arguing with the tour guide about one of the exhibits that they were boasting was art. It looked like a bunch of pre-school students has scribbled on a canvas and they framed in and hung it up. I had asked them what the difference between this and me throwing a few buckets of paint on something and hanging it in a gallery. They weren’t too happy with me. There are some things that are art and some that are not. Birth is not art; it's an act of the body. So what, next week is some guy going to rent out the same spot and have people watch him fart? Do me a favor. HANG A FRIGGIN PICTURE UP!!!!!

No new posts 21-04-2005 02:42 Tajiri is offline Send an Email to Tajiri Search for Posts by Tajiri Add Tajiri to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-04-2004

spacer

Been there, done that, never wanna do it again.

Why the heck would somebody want to see THAT?!?!?!?! And who knows for how many hours, or even days? Fergit it, I'd rather clean the cat's litterbox.

No new posts 21-04-2005 04:08 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I watched all the birthing I could get while I was pregnant, in order to prepare myself because I was in all probability going to be doing it too (and aren't I glad that I didn't?). But that's not art, that's education.

I recall during the run up to the Turner Prize a couple of years ago, when the entries were particularly lacking in merit (some years there actually is something worthwhile, I atually rather liked the dung pictures, and also the vases that won last year), that there was a retired painter and decorator who was asking why he shouldn't enter. For the previous 10 or 20 years he'd been mixing his own paint colours and had been trying them out on his garage doors. So his garage doors were very colourful and abstract. Were they as much a valid artwork as a room with a light in it that kept going on and off?

Cat's litterbox.... there was the full ashtray (did that really get tidied up by a cleaner and have to be remade?), and the untidy bed. There's the artist asleep in a glass box in the gallery - how is being asleep art? You should propose your cat's litterbox to a gallery now, it'll make you famous. It's only a matter of time before it gets done. Except if an artist does it it will probably be human faeces not animal products.

There is a bit of a fuss going on over a guy who has submitted a video of himself scratching 200 cars with keys, as art to a gallery. In the light of being charged with vandalism (that's a lot of angry car owners and a court case for him) he is denying that he scratched any of the cars, that they were already scratched when he got there and he just pretended to scratch them. It's nice to know that if he's guilty, he won't get any Arts Council funding for his project.

There is the odd bit of performance art that I quite like. There are a group of people who do this thing, I can't remember what they call it but it's like a celebrity turning up surrounded by bodyguards. So they rent a limo to go somewhere, one dresses up glamourously, and then 5 or 6 others dress as bodyguards. They're not bothering anyone, they're in and out of wherever they're going quickly, and they're interesting to watch while they're there.

No new posts 21-04-2005 07:03 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
A woman has given birth as part of an exhibition in a German art gallery in front of dozens of spectators.

Ramune Gele, 27, gave birth to her first child, a healthy baby girl named Audra, in the DNA art gallery in the capital Berlin.

The father, 29-year-old musician Winfried Witt, who said before the birth "it's a gift to humanity, a once in a lifetime thing", called the experience "an existential work of art".

Johann Novak, manager of the gallery, said the couple wanted to challenge conventional norms.

"It's a bit of test to see if society can cope," he said.

Some 30 members of the public were contacted when Gele went into labour.

But the "live art exhibition" was heavily criticised by some including doctors and religious leaders.

"A birth is an intimate act, and should remain that way," said Stefan Foerner, 40, spokesman for the Church in Berlin.

Nice that it all went smoothly in the end...

No new posts 21-04-2005 11:42 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thinking about this a bit further, I just see major exploitation of the child.

I view these parents as media whores and not artists.

And what exactly is society having to cope with? The birth of a child? Or a public viewing? I just don't get it?

My only hope is that this is the only 'stunt' these parents pull with this child.

No new posts 22-04-2005 20:18 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

LOL! Imagine my cat being famous! The poor furball would probably die of fear (I KNOW I'd die from the stench of his box)

Obviously Capitalism is the name of the game. They're probably planning to broadcast the kid's next 18 years of life on FOX.

No new posts 24-04-2005 23:36 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
eagle_G1 eagle_G1 is a Female

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-01-2005

spacer

reminds me of hearing about parents offering branding rights to their unborn children. Ok, Nike was a Greek goddess so thats bareable.
But imagine growing up as Heinz, or Adidas?

How can parents give up something that has no impact on them except monetary benefit? All i hope is that parents who do this keep the money in safe keeping for their childrens counselling when they reach school age for rhe bullying will be sure to start.

when your surrounded by turkeys.......

No new posts 25-04-2005 09:29 eagle_G1 is offline Send an Email to eagle_G1 Search for Posts by eagle_G1 Add eagle_G1 to your Buddy List Add eagle_G1 to your Contact List YIM Screenname: mystress_mayhem
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Seems to be a current "chav" fashion over here to name kids after products - no branding royalty payments required. Little girls named "Tanisha Pepsi" and boys named "Diesel". And the illiterate ones who not only saddle their kids with a designer label name but spell it wrong too!

:devilstar: Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." :devilstar:

No new posts 25-04-2005 20:40 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm waiting with bated breath to discover a child named J.Lo or Diddy.

You KNOW it's bound to happen....

No new posts 26-04-2005 03:26 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Yuki Yuki is a Female
Honoured Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-08-2001

spacer

Oh.. interesting.. interesting.. topic..

I have no idea why people would think giving birth to a child a performing art. I view it as quite a person experience. However, some cultures do like sharing it with the entire family, I believe. So, are this couple just extending it to the public, I have no bloody idea. Eeek!

Good thing that all went well though. And I hope that they had enjoyed the experience.

I did have some friends which got totally distraughted because they did not have the perfect birth that they planned. But, life are full of disappointments here and there, right? It's all a matter of how you like at it. Personally, as long as the baby is healthy and the mother is doing well.. It's a perfect birth!

And naming a baby J.Lo or Diddy? Hee.. hee.. I'd be surprised if someone has not already done that..

Anyhow.. have fun..

Yuki

No new posts 13-05-2005 14:24 Yuki is offline Send an Email to Yuki Homepage of Yuki Search for Posts by Yuki Add Yuki to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: n/a YIM Screenname: n/a
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hahahaha! My daughter should count her blessings that I named her Amethyst. It coulda been Swan Jun!

No new posts 02-06-2005 04:04 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

thats a gorgeous name!

Speaking of which, my daughters name translates to Silver and mine to Diamonds.

Seems we are precious company with ya!

Big Grin Sun

No new posts 13-06-2005 14:16 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: