Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » Howdeee
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Howdeee
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Pintail Pintail is a Female
Just popping in

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-06-2009

spacer
Howdeee Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hey there - just popping in over from the mailing list. I had no idea this place was around!

Kudos!

Hmm. Guess I better make myself an avatar!

Happy to be here,
Pintail.

No new posts 19-06-2009 14:18 Pintail is offline Send an Email to Pintail Search for Posts by Pintail Add Pintail to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi Pintail! It's great to see you here! We're pretty fast and loose here, so jump in and join the party! Party4

No new posts 19-06-2009 16:43 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oh, a Devilstar! Welcome Pintail! cheeleader3 We're happy to have you around!

No new posts 19-06-2009 19:03 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Welcome Pintail.
I recognize you and your stories from the Archives. Glad to have you here. We are a friendly bunch and always welcome having more Gatcha-friends.
i see you say your are from Canada, from what part of this fair land to do reside. I live in Southern Ontario (the center of the Universe, according to us. Winknudge)

No new posts 19-06-2009 21:36 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
I live in Southern Ontario (the center of the Universe, according to us. Winknudge)

Yes, we Nova Scotians humour you and let you maintain your delusions... Wink3

Hello Pintail! I certainly recognize your name from your fics that I've read and enjoyed. Welcome!

No new posts 19-06-2009 21:45 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
I live in Southern Ontario (the center of the Universe, according to us. Winknudge)

Yes, we Nova Scotians humour you and let you maintain your delusions... Wink3

Hello Pintail! I certainly recognize your name from your fics that I've read and enjoyed. Welcome!

*tongue in cheek * Ohhh, I honestly believe that LB. I mean why would the Universe revolve around a major city when there are so many nicer areas of the country to visit?

No new posts 19-06-2009 21:52 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Welcome Pintail... It's great to see you over here... I haven't been to the Mailing list in quite some time.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 19-06-2009 22:06 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Pintail! Welcome! I love your fics...and I just ran across a gorgeous "Late Nite" pic, that I think was yours...if I have your permission, I'll post it here...it is UBER-yummy!! turndevil

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 19-06-2009 23:18 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Pintail welcome and I have to echo what others have said I love your fics! I think my fav so far that I have read at the archive is Cats eye it is one that I love to go and read over and over.

No new posts 20-06-2009 04:16 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

Welcome. Have yo visited the Rub....Reception Room yet? No, then this way please.

No new posts 20-06-2009 12:17 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Just popping in

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
Pintail! Welcome! I love your fics...and I just ran across a gorgeous "Late Nite" pic, that I think was yours...if I have your permission, I'll post it here...it is UBER-yummy!! turndevil

Feel free!

And thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Gave me inspiration to dust off some of the stuff I haven't been working on in a while. Smokescreen

I hail from Sudbury - just 4 hours north of Toronto - not so far as the crow flies; but take heart east coaster - I spent the best 5 years of my life at vet school in PEI. That kind of influence stays with ya!

(the roads are slippy today!)

Much love to everyone and hugs for the welcome party!

Pintail

No new posts 20-06-2009 13:08 Pintail is offline Send an Email to Pintail Search for Posts by Pintail Add Pintail to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Ooooo...thanks, Pintail!! You posted it and more yummies into the Gallery!!! WOOHOO! I love that pic...and I don't think I've seen the others...GORGEOUS! Are they paintings?

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 20-06-2009 13:45 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Just popping in

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks! I've been really impressed with your stuff as well! Especially some of the recent art.

As for the process - I suspect we might be doing a little of the same thing. I had some tips from a friend of mine that is a graphic artist and it made a huge difference once I applied the technique.

First, pencil sketch of the piece. Sometimes there is a source drawing (Ken in the chair is actually based on a photoshoot of Tom Cruise in Vanity Fair a few years back. I just LOVED the lighting effect and had to borrow it), times it is straight from my head (Flight Jackets) so I need a few reference pictures to glance at.

Once I'm really happy with the sketch and I want to make it a digital form, I overlay acetate and use the finest tip sharpee you can buy to trace the dominant lines of my sketch. VERY minimal.

Scan it, and bring it in to Photoshop. Copy the lines to a second layer and transparent background. Block fill with basic solid colours in this layer. Use dodge and burn tools to start fleshing out the muscles, folds of cloth etc. The trick is to adjust the pressure and brush settings for different textures - ie skin VS hair VS cotton.

Make a third layer for background and have fun. You can make easy shadows (and reflections - love that piece you did by the water) in this layer using copy, twist and effect tools. Make a fourth layer and do an overlay for your lighting and play with the transparency to the effect you like. You can also use spotlight for sun effects.

Lastly, make a file copy and then merge it down (like to keep the working copy safe for alterations). Then use the adjustments shadows to really make it pop.

Lots of hours, but lots of fun.

Pintail

No new posts 20-06-2009 14:18 Pintail is offline Send an Email to Pintail Search for Posts by Pintail Add Pintail to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Your art is gorgeous, Pintail! Thank you so much for posting it here for us to see.

quote:
Originally posted by Pintail

Once I'm really happy with the sketch and I want to make it a digital form, I overlay acetate and use the finest tip sharpee you can buy to trace the dominant lines of my sketch. VERY minimal.

I really need to get a better, finer tip, marker than the crappy one I've been using to ink pencil drawings. I always end up spending a long time cleaning up the lines digitally in Photoshop, but if I could ink them better, maybe I wouldn't have too...

quote:

Use dodge and burn tools to start fleshing out the muscles, folds of cloth etc. The trick is to adjust the pressure and brush settings for different textures - ie skin VS hair VS cotton.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever used "dodge" and "burn" tools -I will have to check them out. I've been using Photoshop for only about a year, and I keep learning about new things it can do -I've probably only scratched the surface.

quote:

Lots of hours, but lots of fun.

I couldn't agree more!

No new posts 20-06-2009 14:32 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Pintail

I hail from Sudbury - just 4 hours north of Toronto - not so far as the crow flies; but take heart east coaster - I spent the best 5 years of my life at vet school in PEI. That kind of influence stays with ya!

(the roads are slippy today!)l

Heh, slippy...

Say, did you, by any far-flung chance, know a "Cate Creighton" at vet school? She was a good friend of mine, and she would have started there around 1992-93.

No new posts 20-06-2009 14:37 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

Wave3 Hi Pintail and welcome to the boards! I too have enjoyed your fics and pics and am glad that you have now joined us in our little corner of the universe!

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Hinotori on 21-06-2009 at 18:20.
No new posts 20-06-2009 19:06 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Those are great pics Pintail. For some reason I have never seen them before. They are gorgeous, Ken and Jun in the flight jackets is my favourite.

No new posts 20-06-2009 20:21 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Hello Pintail! Wave2

No new posts 21-06-2009 23:51 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: