Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » But.. but... It's only a game!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page But.. but... It's only a game!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
But.. but... It's only a game! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
BEIJING (Reuters) - A Shanghai online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the China Daily has said, creating a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.

Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon sabre", used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3", the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told on Tuesday.

"Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their weapon last February, and lent it to Zhu who then sold it for 7,200 yuan (464 pounds), the newspaper said.

Qui went to the police to report the "theft" but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court was told.

The newspaper did not specify the charge against Qiu but said he had given himself up to police and already pleaded guilty to "intentional injury".

No verdict has been announced.

More and more online gamers were seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits, the newspaper said.

"The armour and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China, was quoted as saying.

But other experts are calling for caution. "The 'assets' of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," a lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company was quoted as saying.

Tricky one. If you invest time and money in getting a virtual item, should it count in the judicial domains of the real world?

On another forum I frequent, users put in a lot of time and very real money to acquire virtual items. Naturally enough, their accounts get hacked from time to time and these items stolen. Some users "lend" valuable items to other users and then are horrified when those users sell them. That forum has its own legal system so that "hacked" items can be returned to their original owners if the hacking can be proven. This seems to me to be the right way to do things - although it wouldn't have saved the person above as the item he sold was borrowed not stolen.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 30-03-2005 07:22 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
eagle_G1 eagle_G1 is a Female

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-01-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

like u said........its just a game.....

Not being a gamer i feel like saying........get a life...........

but i feel that is being disrespectful for those who are passionate about it.

when your surrounded by turkeys.......

No new posts 30-03-2005 10:05 eagle_G1 is offline Send an Email to eagle_G1 Search for Posts by eagle_G1 Add eagle_G1 to your Buddy List Add eagle_G1 to your Contact List YIM Screenname: mystress_mayhem
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I used to play UO a lot and beleive me the game got very materialistic with the release of Trammel.( a new addon).

I eventually closed my account but I did make nearly £500 selling online computer gold through ebay Big Grin

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 31-03-2005 16:37 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
ThornGenX
Honoured Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-05-2005

spacer

I used to play Ultima Online too, but just enjoyed the game. I probably could have made a few dollars selling my virtual items, but when I left the game I just left. Anything remotely "valuable" I gave to a friend (or left it in the house and let the friend have the house).

Seeing someone in the thread made 500 pounds (not sure exactly how that would translate to American dollars) maybe I should have taken the time to sell some of the items ... oh well Big Grin

A quote from the movie "Wall Street" 1987

No new posts 20-05-2005 12:58 ThornGenX is offline Send an Email to ThornGenX Search for Posts by ThornGenX Add ThornGenX to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: ThornGenX
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

Unbelievable.

Selling virtual items. Its actually warping my mind.

Makes me wonder what virtual items in here could we possibly sell?

Lets see..

Elvins avatar.

Ceps Pirate shirt

Ashke's infamous camera

wonder if I could get a real estate agent to look at renting out the Frisking room?

Big Grin

No new posts 11-06-2005 16:58 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

*hugs avatar tightly*

Mine!

No new posts 11-06-2005 23:09 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I suspect the frisking room is more brothel madam territory than real estate agents'... Or dungeon keeper territory.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 12-06-2005 07:09 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-04-2004

spacer

*Glares at Imi* I didn't miss you THAT much yanno! Hands off my baby!!!

*Sigh* Actually, yes I did, but how else could we keep a record of what goes on around here without my video camera. And Elvin is obviously 'attached' to the (very cool) avatar, so that just leaves Cep's shirt and it hasn't been washed since Gatchamania was created!

Looks like you're SOL.

No new posts 12-06-2005 07:13 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Wink

No new posts 12-06-2005 11:10 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer

Or Tengus....

Or my Sig (which will be updated one day, I reassure you all)

No new posts 12-06-2005 20:59 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

hmmm.. * looks at bank account*

Lets see. Ill hand you $1.00 if you can update your sig by the end of the week, Ronin . I'll discuss repayment plans on Tengu's car afterwards. Car

FB Im happy to negotiate price on Taishala's powers. Ive always envied that "Godstick" back in the IF days. I want those spritely powers!! Abduct2

Im getting quite giddy at the thought of owning Cep's unwashed pirate shirt , mmmmm. Might even buy Elvin's Dark Crystal avatar and don said shirt on it, then film this gorgeous creature with Ashke's camera!Aimgrin

I would sooooooooo pay for just one night with Buffy's , Yuki's or Sj's characters( and they DO know which ones Im talking about!) YMCA

And just for the record, Im laying claim and ownership of Lyon's plasma rifle till her return. It does more damage and mayhem than the cable gun. Hell yeah! Bfg3000

Meridian, Im sure with a bit of persuasion, and the right amount of money, might be able to part with sensitive Galactan blueprints of any upcoming mechas , strongholds, bases, newly appointed Captains,Galactor or the latest in weapons artillery!

As for my avatar, wine and dine Sayuri, the avatar's artist and Im sure she can see fit to give you the full length pic and what he's wearing below that open shirt! Inverted1

No new posts 13-06-2005 13:22 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Ah Sayuri.

She who blessed us with so many wonderful pictures.

*sends cyberhugs to Sayuri*

No new posts 13-06-2005 14:54 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

<checks>

I dont seem to have a sig...and Tengu is away due to password problems

(I always know my password, you will note)

That car is a big liability....

No new posts 13-06-2005 21:03 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Blink? Eek4

*scritches head *

um...

am I seeing double? confusing one member for another or simply talking to a multipersonality? Division

Please tell me who you are Ronin before I start popping crazy pills!

pleeeease????????!

No new posts 14-06-2005 15:35 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ronin is Tengu, she's forgotten her Tengu account's password.

No new posts 14-06-2005 17:04 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Lolabella Lolabella is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2004

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by imaqtz Iwonder if I could get a real estate agent to look at renting out the Frisking room? Big Grin

ahem....I regret to inform you that since you've been gone I've taken up residence in the Frisking Room. So much time has past that I believe it belongs to me now..

Squaters Rights.

No new posts 14-06-2005 18:35 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

<Nods> See, Meridian knew.

Tengu is away working on the car anyway. (or is it fic, I cannot be sure)

No new posts 15-06-2005 08:30 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Any wonder why Merry is such an invaluable asset to Galactor?

I will lay some serious money to have Meridians brain researched as to how she has that uncanny ability to know everything?!

How much is this all knowing ability worth? eh?

And apologies Ronin hon for getting a touch confused . You had me going for a sec there.

Grin.

No new posts 15-06-2005 13:33 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Lolabella
ahem....I regret to inform you that since you've been gone I've taken up residence in the Frisking Room. So much time has past that I believe it belongs to me now..

Squaters Rights.

I see. *Smirk*

I believe "Squaters Rights" translates to Death Wish and a premature violent ending to anyone who so much as touches my digs.

Youre lucky I have been distracted , by Full Frisking Duties to have noticed the mattress on the floor Ive been tripping over lately in that room or the smell of perfume that pervaded the place, since my return.

I admire your courage to own up to your squatting, and neglecting to frisking duties of new members, in my absence .

*flicks cigarette away, and hauls Plasma rifle over shoulder giving Lolabella an evil grin of intent*

I dont believe in 30 day Eviction notices. You leave NOW and I let you live.

Your choice baby.

Guns1

No new posts 15-06-2005 14:13 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Lolabella Lolabella is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2004

spacer

*sigh*

Oh put that away! I'll leave.

Sad1

*rolls up bedding, gathers incense, candles and plushie Ken doll*

Fine. You can have your Frisking Room. But just remember, I was the one that kept it clean of cobwebs, dust and a few undesirables.

*heads out the door* Quickgetaway

Anyone else have a place I can crash???

No new posts 15-06-2005 16:06 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: