Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » The Condor's beloved shuriken
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Condor's beloved shuriken
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Nice pic of the Shuriken Ebony.

You are doing so well on the fine details. Lovely.

No new posts 02-07-2008 22:32 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Huggles CD...

No new posts 02-07-2008 22:35 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
Huggles CD...

Well you deserve it Ebony.

No new posts 02-07-2008 23:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer

Has anyone tried making a feathered shuriken that actually works?

No new posts 25-04-2009 16:06 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

<raises hand> I have . . . a few years back I spent a couple of afternoons with some feathers, fish hooks, small counterweights, and superglue. I actually did make some working shuriken, but they're only about 1/4 to 1/6 scale because the only feathers that flew properly were pretty small. And yes, they do stick into things . . . but they lack the mass to penetrate more than oh, a millimeter. I was just stoked that they worked! Tongue

The key to making a working shuriken out of an actual feather is to start with a flight feather--wing or tail--where both sides of the vane are perfectly symmetric, and the shaft doesn't curve. There really aren't very many feathers on a bird that meet those criteria. If you've got a feather and you're not sure about it, try throwing it. If it curves off to one side, the vane is unbalanced. I haven't experimented with trimming the vanes.

No new posts 29-04-2009 19:33 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Take Barrdwing's word for it. She's an expert on feathers!

And may I be the first to Bowdown to Barrdwing for creating actual feather shuriken?

No new posts 29-04-2009 19:52 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

Ducks under feathered shurkien holded sofa. Hiding 2

No new posts 29-04-2009 20:16 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

I dont suppose you have a pic Barrdwing?

No new posts 29-04-2009 20:41 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Baardwing, that's really impressive! I'd love to see them, if you have pics!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 29-04-2009 23:08 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
veritas veritas is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

spacer

These are the ones I made. These are goose wing feathers ( that we make the arrows from). I found them to be incredibly light. As bardwing says, they don't have the mass to penetrate, be accurate or to go very far. They would have to be significantly weightier to do all that which would compromise how many you can carry and where you keep them !

No new posts 30-04-2009 08:05 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Oh, that's right, Veritas! I forgot that you made some shuriken, too! Those are gorgeous!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 30-04-2009 09:25 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

The funny thing is, when CD and I were in San Diego for Comic Con last year we went to the Wild Animal Park. There we saw a real California condor, and they had a sample of its feath. The real condor's feather was longer than my arm!!! Can you imagine Joe carrying arou nd feathers that are long enough to be spears? ROFL 2

No new posts 30-04-2009 12:56 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by veritas

These are the ones I made. These are goose wing feathers ( that we make the arrows from). I found them to be incredibly light. As bardwing says, they don't have the mass to penetrate, be accurate or to go very far. They would have to be significantly weightier to do all that which would compromise how many you can carry and where you keep them !

I would sat the ones the team has would have metal shafts in the middle to give it weight.

No new posts 30-04-2009 13:06 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Those look very good Veritas.

Ebony I think Veritas' do have metal shafts at the end anyways. Seeing these I could actually imagine inserting a metal rod up the shaft partly to straighten it and partly to give the shuriken some weight - instead of just on the end, like it looks like Veritas' are.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 30-04-2009 at 13:16.
No new posts 30-04-2009 13:15 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

Veritas they look good.

CD I think you're right it would certainly give it the added weight needed, wonder if it would work?

No new posts 30-04-2009 15:10 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
Baardwing, that's really impressive! I'd love to see them, if you have pics!

Oh boy . . . now where did I put them when we moved? Eek6 If I can find them, I'll get some photos . . . assuming the bugs didn't find them first. I always worry about that with the feathers . . . .

Veritas, those are some keen-looking shuriken! Big Grin

No new posts 02-05-2009 03:48 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

LOL Barrwing, Joe was one of the moving guys, (racing doesn't pay as much as it used to) when saw them in a box he just figured they were his... I think you'll have to take it up with the Condor to get em back....

No new posts 02-05-2009 09:49 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

I am sure there are a few people who woul like to negotiate with the condor Wink

No new posts 02-05-2009 22:51 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
LOL Barrwing, Joe was one of the moving guys, (racing doesn't pay as much as it used to) when saw them in a box he just figured they were his... I think you'll have to take it up with the Condor to get em back....

I can see it now.... "UMM Joe, Those feathers belong to me"

Joe looks down at the feather he had hanging from his teeth. Noticing they made his own shurikens looks out of date he tried his best to keep them.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 09-05-2009 21:49 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

"Barrwing...darling" The Condor's half smile with the feathers still hanging out of his mouth turns cheeky. "Wanna fight me for em...I promise it'll be worth your while...."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 11-05-2009 at 12:27.
No new posts 11-05-2009 12:27 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: