Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Anime & Cartoons » Is Anime Getting Staler Nowadays?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Is anime getting staler?
yes vote leftpercentvote right 6 100.00%
no vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
Total: 6 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Is Anime Getting Staler Nowadays?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The original Thunderbirds had puppets but 2086 looked like it was Gatchaman for a split second.

No new posts 20-04-2009 14:33 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I was a huge Speed Racer fan when I was a kid. It was part of the Saturday morning line-up.

Mum never had any problems with us watching anything overly destructive. Hell, she let me watch An American Werewolf in London when I was six.

I was watching Halloween at eight ...

I don't know that I'd allow Joshie to watch horror films, but I have no issue with him watching CSI, NCIS or even Mayday. During the last episode of Mayday, Joshie pursed his lips, looked at me and said "I'd like to fly in an airplane, Mummy." Meanwhile the plane on the TV was spiralling mid-dive with total engine flame-out and all the passengers were screaming with the pain of massive G-Forces.

I flicked a brow and looked back at the TV and asked if he was sure about that. He nodded and said, "Planes are safe. That plane is just sick, but it'll be okay." He looked back at the TV with a tilted head and added. "Maybe I'll fly one, like Mark." (Incidentally, the pilots did regain control of the plane, the engines refired and they got it down safe -- Josh giggled and pointed at the TV and said "See. It's better now.")

:grin:

Oh I am so proud of the little monkey. Even though every week we watch a plane fall from the sky he still has no fear over it

His fav show is, of course, Big Bang Theory... I'm not allowed to turn it off. He thinks Sheldon is the bomb and has become a Flash and Green Lantern fan as a result.

I am so raising a comic book guy ... :grin:

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 20-04-2009 15:13 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

When I was little, I usually got more upset about bad things happening to animals on TV than to people, but there were some things that freaked me out and gave me nightmares. It didn't help that my older brother would usually tell me that the things that scared me were real and would come to get me as soon as I fell asleep!

This episode of Space 1999 was, I think, the thing that terrified me the most!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbXhu09m5s

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 20-04-2009 at 16:07.
No new posts 20-04-2009 16:07 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

spacer

According to Mum, the only TV show that freaked me out .... was Lassie.

She said I would freak...

Yet, I really enjoyed the Littlest Hobo (still do sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic) ... So it wasn't the doggie.

Freddie Kruger was high on my list of watchables, but Lassie was terrifying -- go figure.

Sighhh

No new posts 20-04-2009 16:26 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cain Highwind
Oh and Digimon WAS a cool alternative to Pokemon. I was a part of the Pokecraze for a while, but the series started to lose my interest at its repetitiveness, while Digimon's story and action was engaging. The "Movie" was good too. Have you seen that? The director of that film is really starting to gain some attention for his film works.

I'd have to say I was in the whole Pokemon craze too when it was popular. Digimon had more of a story line than Pokemon from what I remember.

No new posts 20-04-2009 16:40 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

I think I have the Digimon movie around here somewhere--seems to me it turned up at Target, and I nabbed it. I haven't watched it yet, although I keep meaning to. It falls into the category of "treat, I should make sure I have enough time to watch the whole thing so I can enjoy it." Which of course makes it harder to find enough time. cinema

I loved Lodoss Wars! That one was the best movie rental "find" I ever made. Bought a bunch of the music CDs at Fanime Con, too. They really put a lot of effort and talent into that series, although I could never get into the sequel. And it's a dang shame the cels are so freaking expensive!

No new posts 20-04-2009 18:17 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Xephon0930
The original Thunderbirds had puppets but 2086 looked like it was Gatchaman for a split second.

With Thunderbirds, Gerry Anderson did that first (he made Captain Scarlet my favourite Gerry Anderson puppet show), thens it was the cartoon Thunderbirds 2086 and then the awful live action film directed by Riker from Star Trek TNG.

And going back to Captain Scarlet, they made a CGI verson couple of years ago which was actually quite good.

No new posts 20-04-2009 20:25 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
When I was little, I usually got more upset about bad things happening to animals on TV than to people, but there were some things that freaked me out and gave me nightmares. It didn't help that my older brother would usually tell me that the things that scared me were real and would come to get me as soon as I fell asleep!

This episode of Space 1999 was, I think, the thing that terrified me the most!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbXhu09m5s

Ah, Space 1999, loved it as a kid, had trading cards, brother had an Eagle, which when I had it, didn't have any engines or the module that went into the middle (never knew what happened to them).

If you think that's scary, try Sapphire and Steel. One episode nearly made me change my underwear. It was about how something that looked like someone but without a face could move people into and out of photos. I watched it in the dark in my parents bedroom on their small TV.

Watched last year again on YouTube but this time I watched in broad daylight.

No new posts 20-04-2009 20:29 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by SJ_SwanJun
According to Mum, the only TV show that freaked me out .... was Lassie.

She said I would freak...

Yet, I really enjoyed the Littlest Hobo (still do sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic) ... So it wasn't the doggie.

Freddie Kruger was high on my list of watchables, but Lassie was terrifying -- go figure.

I liked The Littlest Hobo. Better than Lassie and Benji put together.

No new posts 20-04-2009 20:30 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

quote:
I was a huge Speed Racer fan when I was a kid. It was part of the Saturday morning line-up.

I used to watch Speed Racer too. It's cool that the Mach 5 makes a cameo in Gatchaman.

No new posts 21-04-2009 00:53 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan
quote:

I used to watch Speed Racer too. It's cool that the Mach 5 makes a cameo in Gatchaman.

It does??

Sighhh

No new posts 21-04-2009 01:16 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan
quote:

It does??

In the episode "The Plot to Assassinate Dr. Nambu" where Joe met this girl at a race track (turns out later to be a Devil Star), at the end Joe is waiting for her at the track and you can see the Mach 5 go by.

No new posts 21-04-2009 01:26 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
In the episode "The Plot to Assassinate Dr. Nambu" where Joe met this girl at a race track (turns out later to be a Devil Star), at the end Joe is waiting for her at the track and you can see the Mach 5 go by.

Actually, no, it doesn't. This is a very popular Gatchaman myth, but it isn't accurate. Here's the shot from episode #31:

And here's an overhead view of the Mach 5 from the first episode of Speed Racer:

As you can plainly see, while the two cars do have certain similarities, they have distinctly different body shapes.

It's likely that the animator doing that particular scene in Gatchaman had intended for it to be the Mach 5, and simply got the body wrong, but it's off far enough that I'd certainly wouldn't to say that it is the Mach 5. Actually, the body of that car looks more like the GRX than the Mach 5...

James

No new posts 21-04-2009 01:46 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

spacer

You know, James .... Why don't they have you working with the teams on the Gatch movie, eh?

You know more than I think half the teams on the original series do... If they had you on board, at least we'd know they'd get it right...

And I'd totally be all over it!!

And I am NOT being facetious when I say that.... I think you'd do an awesome job.

SJ

Sighhh

No new posts 21-04-2009 09:30 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Hey Met. How about Bananaman, voiced by the guy from the Goodies?

Just for SJ, Bananaman Intro

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Metaliant on 21-04-2009 at 14:19.
No new posts 21-04-2009 14:18 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
You know, James .... Why don't they have you working with the teams on the Gatch movie, eh?

You know more than I think half the teams on the original series do... If they had you on board, at least we'd know they'd get it right...

And I am NOT being facetious when I say that.... I think you'd do an awesome job.

SJ

I second that.

No new posts 21-04-2009 14:20 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
RE: Is Anime Getting Staler Nowadays? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Xephon0930
After the anime boom in the 90s that was brought forth by,dare I say it,Pokemon

Slap

Pokemon certainly did not start the 90's Anime movement Wink

The early movement was started by the release of such films as Odin, Fist of the Northstar, Venus Wars and of course the much acclaimed Akira as well as the early "series" type of films such as Tank Police and 3x3 eyes.

Of course there were earlier animes available such as Laputa which aired in the west during the eighties and a lot of low budget (yet classic) anime style cartoons like Dogtanian, Cities of Gold and around the world in 80 days but these did not spark the anime movement at this time.

Good old days Big Grin

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 21-04-2009 16:05 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:

SJ

Cloud being smart-alecky, "Shhhh, SJ you are not meant to be letting the world know he is involved. James wants to maintain his anonymity." Wink

No new posts 21-04-2009 17:08 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Sorry about the mix up. At first glance it does look like the Mach 5. Thanks James for clearing that up.

No new posts 21-04-2009 17:48 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer

Has anyone seen Code Geass?

Johnny Yong Bosch does a good job with Lelouch.

No new posts 01-05-2009 23:27 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: