Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Anime & Cartoons » Is Anime Getting Staler Nowadays?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Is anime getting staler?
yes vote leftpercentvote right 6 100.00%
no vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
Total: 6 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Is Anime Getting Staler Nowadays?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer
Is Anime Getting Staler Nowadays? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

After the anime boom in the 90s that was brought forth by,dare I say it,Pokemon,it went uphill then on until in the mid 00s,it went soaring high to crashing low to the state it is in today.I blame it on the economy,the fact that no one buys the DVDs,there aren't that many good ones to watch,or maybe the new generation made all this what it is today.What do you think?

No new posts 15-04-2009 21:46 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I see some of the cartoons on TV when my kids are watching it. The stories are more complex these days. But I don't go outside of Gatchaman much since I don't have much TV...

I have noticed that the characters faces tend to look all the same with very little deviation. You didn't give an 'on the fence option...

No new posts 15-04-2009 22:35 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I haven't really watched much other than Gatch lately...I did love Inuyasha, but that's not a new anime...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 15-04-2009 22:37 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The ones I watch nowadays were like Code Geass and reruns of Fullmetal Alchemist. That was one of Adult Swim's best.

No new posts 15-04-2009 22:47 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Besides Gatch, I've watched some Inuyasha, Fullmetal, and Gundam Seed.
I have no idea what the "teens" are watching these days though. As for the Kiddies Sponge Bob and Ben Ten (not sure if I have the last one right) seem to be the two big names that are always mentioned.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 16-04-2009 at 00:48.
No new posts 15-04-2009 23:20 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

Some anime I've seen are Blue Seed, School Rumble, DearS, xxxHolic, Ranma 1/2 and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. One I really liked that I thought was different was Emma: A Victorian Romance.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Condorfan on 21-04-2009 at 00:50.
No new posts 16-04-2009 00:44 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Ben Ten (not sure if I have the last one right)

My kids are into Ben Ten (that's the older series, now there's Ben Ten Alien Force) but I would hardly call it Anime. Wink

No new posts 16-04-2009 01:17 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Never see Ben Ten, I do not know anything about it. Only that when I am teaching my media unit and ask what shows the kids are watching they give that name. I guess I had linked it to the anime type shows like Digimon and Yu-gi-oh and transformers.

No new posts 16-04-2009 01:28 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

Besides Gatch like everybody here.....obvisouly...... I have watched Ghost In The Shell, Gvyer, Appleseed, (all three I have got at home).

I have watrched a recent Fist Of The North Star OAV, the original Gvyer OAV, Appleseed 2, Metropolis (based on Fritz Lang's black and white 1920s film, a Street Fighters ainme, Tekkan ainme.

I have seen couple of episodes of Final Fantasy Unlimited series but wasn't impressed with it nor with Gundam Seed.

No new posts 16-04-2009 13:39 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I have all of Fullmetal Alchemist and Neon Genesis Evangelion, but they're the only non-Gatch animes I've ever seen a lot of, and they're aren't all that new either. I wouldn't call them stale, but I haven't seen any really recent anime series.

No new posts 16-04-2009 15:13 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I've basically seen every title that was mentioned.I wasn't able to see the original Speed Racer but I did see some bits of Ultraman and Super Sentai.(I know they're not anime but they seem to belong in this board somehow.) Argue2

No new posts 16-04-2009 15:40 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer

I think to us older folks it is. I was part of that Mid 90s Anime boom thanks to Toonami. Back then Anime was that "Cult Phenomenon" The stuff that the "big kids" watched, of course a lot of the popular shows back then were dubbed Anime (Sailor Moon, DBZ, Pokemon, and obviously BotP). Now there's less Anime on American TV, and the whole Anime culture has evolved along with its new fanbase.

I think part of it is we're grown up with jobs and have LESS TIME to keep up with all the hot series that fans are watching. Plus Anime isn't as simple anymore. These days it's either loads of Japanese gags, or deep philosophy, there's the cliche shonen titles too, and these shows have found a new audience.

I'm not saying it's all bad there's definitely some good stuff here and there. Miyazaki's still making movies for one. I myself, am a huge fan of the Anime, One Piece (I find nothing tops it's epicness). And despite my cynicism, Gurren Lagann is THE reason I love Anime and still watch it.

But I've mostly been too busy to sit at my computer and just watch oodles of Anime like I used to. I've resorted to renting Anime via RentAnime.com to catch up with the older series everyone rants and raves about. It's slow going but ONE of these days I might see what this Code Geass is that everyone rants about. XD

No new posts 16-04-2009 19:26 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ummm, Cain please be careful with that older folks expression Wink .... to me you are just a young pup and you fit right in with Xephon both being born in the 80's.

Now those of us from the 60's and 70's I would say are the older folk .....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 16-04-2009 at 19:55.
No new posts 16-04-2009 19:53 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer

Bowdown I'm so sorry. I meant no offense. I kinda forgot. I sometimes *feel* older merely because most anime fans you see nowadays (IE the NEW crowd) are in their mid-teens and were born in the 90s.

No new posts 16-04-2009 20:46 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I understand Cain, no offense taken.

It is nice to see the younger generation join this fandom and I like seeing their/your POV on the series/show.

No new posts 16-04-2009 20:56 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cain Highwind
Bowdown I'm so sorry. I meant no offense. I kinda forgot. I sometimes *feel* older merely because most anime fans you see nowadays (IE the NEW crowd) are in their mid-teens and were born in the 90s.

You're forgiven by this "old phoegy" - who remembers watching first run "Astro Boy".... Tongue

No new posts 16-04-2009 21:50 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

The first animated show that I have any recollection of watching was, sadly, this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Robin_Hood

I belong to Netflix, and I have added a bunch of animes to my "queue" but unless I rearrange the order, it will be a long time before I get to them. I'm so out of touch with what the "latest" trends are these days. It's not just anime -it always seems like new things are coming out faster than I have time to view or read them! But maybe there's an advantage to trailing 5 or 10 years behind, in that I have time to get a better idea of which DVDs and books are truly worth my time.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 16-04-2009 at 23:00.
No new posts 16-04-2009 23:00 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I wonder what was it like to be a fan of the original Speed Racer back in the day?

No new posts 17-04-2009 00:30 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Xephon0930
I wonder what was it like to be a fan of the original Speed Racer back in the day?

You mean - when I was driving my parents crazy for wanting to watch "that terrible destructive cartoon stuff"?

I made it a point to get home from school (with my homework complete) in order to see it when it came on KPLR (St. Louis) in the afternoons.... Same with BotP (although that was more a matter of getting to the community room at college in time to take over the channel)...

No new posts 17-04-2009 00:47 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

Being an "old phogey" myself I just remembered I used to watch Kimba the White Lion on the old UHF channel.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Condorfan on 17-04-2009 at 01:04.
No new posts 17-04-2009 01:04 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: