Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[The Latest News] »Announcements! » Jinzo Toriumi Passes Away
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jinzo Toriumi Passes Away
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Jinzo Toriumi Passes Away Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all,

Some sad news to report this time. Noted scriptwriter Jinzo Toriumi has passed away at age 78. You can read a nice overview of his life and career at Wendy's Gatchablog at:

http://gatchablog.blogspot.com/

I know that many of you are wondering why I'm even mentioning this here. Simply put, Jinzo Toriumi was one of the main staff members for Gatchaman, and without his efforts, the series would not have been the same.

Toriumi, along with Satoshi Suyama, created the series Planning Establishment (Essentially the bible for the series), and went on to function as the Chief Writer. He also penned 16 episodes of the series, including the first episode. Though working freelance by the late 1970s, he returned to help with the Planning Establishment for both Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter, and contributed scripts for the Gatchaman radio drama (2 episodes, though he oversaw the scripts for the rest through his company, Tori Productions), Gatchaman II (9 episodes, including the first and last episodes), and Gatchaman Fighter (7 episodes, includng the first episode and the 2-part death of Nambu stories). Mr. Toriumi even wrote an original Gatchaman novel, "The Condor Flies!," which was published in 1989.

His funeral is being held on the 20th. It might be nice if all Gatchaman fans took a moment to remember Mr. Toriumi for all that his work has given us.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 24-01-2008 at 18:31.
No new posts 19-01-2008 19:53 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

A shame, just before the movie.

No new posts 19-01-2008 23:06 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I have moved this to our news section as I think this is quite an important thing for the Gatch community to know.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 20-01-2008 00:17 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Very sad...RIP Mr. Toriumi...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 20-01-2008 00:44 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

It is very sad that he's gone, but it is good that he lived such a long life...Thank Mr.Toriumi for the wonderful work you did on Gatchaman...RIP.

No new posts 20-01-2008 04:55 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Toneman Toneman is a Male
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

10 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-11-2007

spacer

Thank you Sooooooooo much for your life's work. What you did, Mr. Toriumi, was shape a young 8th grade mind. What you have done makes all the difference to me. I hope to see you on the other side, so I can thank you personally..

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou!!!!!!!!!

Gatch Eagle Gatch

No new posts 20-01-2008 04:58 Toneman is offline Send an Email to Toneman Search for Posts by Toneman Add Toneman to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

How sad. I hope he knew the impact he made on so many people's lives. His memory will always live on in the characters and show he helped create - and the fans who keep the series alive.

Rest in peace, Mr. Toriumi. You will be missed.

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 21-01-2008 00:48 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Certainly he made an impact on all of our lives.

No new posts 21-01-2008 01:07 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

I hope he looks down and has cause to smile about the new Gathc film that should capture a new generation of fans

No new posts 24-01-2008 11:26 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
I hope he looks down and has cause to smile about the new Gathc film that should capture a new generation of fans

I'll second that FB! I hope they do justice to it.

No new posts 24-01-2008 14:32 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Ladygalactor777 Ladygalactor777 is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-08-2008

spacer

Its a shame

No new posts 21-08-2008 18:11 Ladygalactor777 is offline Send an Email to Ladygalactor777 Search for Posts by Ladygalactor777 Add Ladygalactor777 to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

Many anime fans really owe a debt to all those who worked on early anime shows like Gatchaman, Speed Racer, Astro Boy. Their pioneering work--to make characters more real and action tougher--is what makes anime so popular today. They broke ground and made animation not just a venue for slapstick humor as it was in the early days of animation in the U.S.

A great loss indeed. RIP Mr. Toriumi.

No new posts 22-08-2008 15:14 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all,

It's interesting that you should mention "Astro Boy" and "Speed Racer," since Jinzo Toriumi worked on both of those series. He started his work in the animation industry by joining Mushi Productions in 1964 to write scripts for "Astro Boy." He left Mushi for Tatsunoko in 1965 to write for "Space Ace." In 1966, he wrote the Planning Establishment for "Speed Racer," and subsequently worked on the scripts for 42 of the 52 episodes of that series. There's no way around it, Jinzo Toriumi's body of work was far-reaching and impressive.

James

No new posts 22-08-2008 16:03 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer

Here's to one of the last Gatchaman figureheads and forerunners.A Kagaku Nimpo Hinotori salute to you.

No new posts 14-04-2009 18:47 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
veritas veritas is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

spacer

RIP and thankyou for entertaining us.

No new posts 15-04-2009 07:38 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: