Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Let's talk about G-Town...
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Let's talk about G-Town...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Let's talk about G-Town... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Nope, I'm not making this up. The name of the Science Ninja Team's Base in Gatchaman II was G-Town. Aside from the obvious smut jokes one can make about such a name, it's certainly not as creative as 'Crescent Coral Base', but the base itself is quite impressive.

G-Town was significantly larger than the Crescent Coral Base. It was essentially a small city, and huge amounts of space for all kinds of things, including a docking bay for the very large New God Phoenix. It was also a bona fide submarine, and was able to move around the oceans of the world.

G-Town was attacked on two occasions by Gel Sadra (see below) but never destroyed. It may still be floating around out there... somewhere...

G-Town exterior:

Dr. Nambu's office (Do you think it's big enough?):

The team hangs out in a lounge:

Later, Joe decides to take a nap while Jun and Jinpei chat:

G-Town was attacked twice by Gel Sadra. First, she deceived and trained Eva Douglas to take Jun's place and impersonate the Swan. Here, Eva 'fakes illness' during a G-Town briefing so she can leave the rest of the team.

Then she places a bomb in a G-Town computer room:

Then she tried to place a locator device in the engine room, but Joe caught her and figured out that it wasn't Jun:

Later of course, the real Swan (who had been captured by Gel Sadra) broke out, and made her way back to G-Town in time to convince Eva that she had been lied to by Galactor. Eva ended up sacrificing her own life to save G-Town.

On another occasion, Gel Sadra plotted to trap G-Town in a massive crevasse, and she put icebergs on top to trap the submarine base.

How did she do this? Well, she had Galactor troops infiltrate the base and install devices to take over control of the submarine's movement. While this was successful, the Science Ninja Team found the infiltrators and dealt with them accordingly. Here, Ken fights a Galactor troop in G-Town's engine room:

But they were still trapped. They called Dr. Pandora (who was out of the base on another mission) and had her get the original God Phoenix, so that she could use the Firebird to melt the icebergs and free the base. This turned out to be unnecessary, as the Science Ninja Team reached the New God Phoenix and were able to free it from G-Town and break through the iceberg using their own ship.

It did, however, make for a spectacular scene when there were two firebirds flying through the sky. Certainly it was memorable for Gel Sadra, whose mecha was destroyed, leaving her floating in icy ocean waters.

(James, feel free to correct my plot summaries as I am using ER for a basis and might have a few details wrong.)

Comments about G-Town?

This post has been edited 6 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 23-03-2009 at 15:47.
No new posts 23-03-2009 13:51 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

So they had the original God Phoenix as well. Cool, probably could have trained another team as a backup.

Oh and thanks for the pics and information. G-Town (no smutty comments from this Eagle) does look more impressive than the Crescent Base.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Metaliant on 23-03-2009 at 14:43.
No new posts 23-03-2009 14:42 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
So they had the original God Phoenix as well. Cool, probably could have trained another team as a backup.

I'm sure James will add more to this, but essentially, there was a radio drama before Gatchaman II aired, and in that radio drama they 'sank' the old God Phoenix as a form of 'burial'.

However, that was all thrown out the window in this one episode of Gatchaman II. But presumably the ship had been through enough battle damage that it wasn't usable regularly.

Dr. Pandora goes to the 'hidden location' of the original God Phoenix. You can see that it was hidden inside a mountain inside of a giant hangar.

The two firebirds destroy Gel Sadra's mecha:

The new and old God Phoenix, side by side:

No new posts 23-03-2009 15:45 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

Thanks for the info about G-Town TJ! I like the idea of seeing the original GodPhoenix again. I had always wondered what happened to it in Gatchaman II.

No new posts 23-03-2009 16:27 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Who was inside the original GP to make it fly and go Fiery?

No new posts 23-03-2009 17:34 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

I'm thinking it was Dr. Pandora CD.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 23-03-2009 18:40 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

It was Dr. Pandora. And no, she wasn't wearing Birdstyle. Wink

No new posts 23-03-2009 18:54 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

What did happen to the original Phoenix?

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 23-03-2009 18:59 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by SJ_SwanJun
What did happen to the original Phoenix?

It wasn't mentioned again after this one episode of Gatchaman II.

No new posts 23-03-2009 19:26 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

Ahhh. It was probably turned into a restaurant or something in Las Vegas...

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 23-03-2009 19:35 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

If thats the case, then I'm most certainly going there SJ. Oh wait, that was in the Gatch world, not this one.... darn it!

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 23-03-2009 19:39 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Thanks for the info, TJ! I'm glad they stayed underwater in Gatch II (I like the fish) even though G-Town isn't as nice looking (to me) as their Gatch I base.

I've always gotten a kick out of the little tubes they sometimes travel around in at G-town.

They remind me of those little canisters that travel through the tubes when you use drive-through banks.

No new posts 23-03-2009 20:26 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:

Oh and thanks for the pics and information. G-Town (no smutty comments from this Eagle) does look more impressive than the Crescent Base.

I was meant to be this HUGE you beaut modern 'city' kinda base. But it still gets destroyed in the end. There has to be thousands of people there so for it to be destroyed it would have been an enormous loss of life.

No new posts 23-03-2009 22:20 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:

I'm sure James will add more to this, but essentially, there was a radio drama before Gatchaman II aired, and in that radio drama they 'sank' the old God Phoenix as a form of 'burial'.

However, that was all thrown out the window in this one episode of Gatchaman II. But presumably the ship had been through enough battle damage that it wasn't usable regularly.

Dr. Pandora goes to the 'hidden location' of the original God Phoenix. You can see that it was hidden inside a mountain inside of a giant hangar.

The two firebirds destroy Gel Sadra's mecha:

The new and old God Phoenix, side by side:

I ddin't think it came back into it at all. The details you miss when you don't see it all from beginning to end in the series.

No new posts 23-03-2009 22:22 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
quote:

I was meant to be this HUGE you beaut modern 'city' kinda base. But it still gets destroyed in the end. There has to be thousands of people there so for it to be destroyed it would have been an enormous loss of life.

Ummm, did I get this wrong? I thought TJ said G-Town was never destroy, in the first post she made.
Maybe I read it wrong. Shrug

No new posts 23-03-2009 22:24 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

G-Town was not destroyed. It survived the series intact, and is simply never mentioned in Gatchaman Fighter.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 23-03-2009 at 22:31.
No new posts 23-03-2009 22:31 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

G-Town was not destroyed. It survived the series intact, and is simply never mentioned in Gatchaman Fighter.

James

Sounds kind of similar to the fate of the Old God Phoenix.... Wink (if you look at Gatch II and not the radio serial where it was sunk.)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 23-03-2009 at 22:49.
No new posts 23-03-2009 22:47 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

Whoo hoo! I was right! woohoo

(Doesn't happen all that often, so i want to celebrate... Wink )

No new posts 23-03-2009 22:59 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Hi all!

James

Ahhh for some reason I thought it was destroyed. I must be thinking of the mountain base in Fighter. If thats the case then its still there in use in the series. Good bit of food for thought when writing ficcies...

No new posts 23-03-2009 23:13 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Unlike Crescent Coral Reef in the first series, G-Town was a part of "Gatchaman II" that was accounted for in the series Planning Establishment, giving us at least a little official information regarding it. It come sup twice in the Planning, first in the section on Dr. Nambu, where it says, "Dr. Nambu has constructed an undersea mobile base, the submarine mothership 'G-Town,' and the God Phoenix's replacement, the New God Phoenix, is also born."

This is followed up on in the section describing the various Ninja Team mecha, where G-Town is described as follows:

Storyboard of the sequence where G-Town is first seen in "Gatchaman II" episode #1

"High Speed Undersea Aircraft Carrier 'G-Town'

The mobile base of Gatchaman and the others.

(Performance)

Engine:
Equipped with two atomic engines.

Maximum Speed:
On water: 80 knots
Underwater: 40 knots
Weight: 600,000 tons
Personnel: 25 people

(Functions)

It can run through the oceans as an undersea submarine, can launch and dock with each mecha, as well as store them, and operates on a completely computerized automated system.

It's like a mobile city, with everything needed inside it, including a gymnasium where one can ice skate."

We are first introduced to G-Town in the first episode of Gatchaman II, where we see the massive vehicle moving along the ocean floor.

We also see the two rooms we ended up seeing the most of throughout the series. First, the Command Room.

Second, the New God Phoenix's launch bay (Episode #1).

During the run of "Gatchaman II," we saw a number of other parts of G-Town. These included Dr. Nambu's Office (Episode #20)

A standby room for the Science Ninja Team, with an emergency alarm mounted on the wall to call them into action (Episode #37).

The Medical Center (Episode #'s 3, 51)

The Plant Research Laboratory (Episode #7),

The Radar Room, which G-Town uses for navigation (Episode #20)

The Computer Room (Episode #20)

The Engine Room (Episode #'s 20, 47)

A projection room for viewing films and slides (Episode #20)

A ready room to prepare to space flight (Episode #45)

A bay to recover objects from the ocean floor (Episode #39).

As mentioned in the Planning, there is also a large Athletic Room inside G-Town, which includes a large pool (Episode #18), punching bags, gymnastic equipment and a large running track (Episode #29).

And, of course, there are a number of other laboratories and research facilities throughout
G-Town (Episode #37).

Because of its size, there are a series of tubes running through the structure that allow people to be moved quickly from one place to another.

When the members of the Science Ninja Team are using this system to head to the Command Room, they stop briefly in a Transformation Room to change to Bird Style before continuing of to the Command Room (Episode #3).

This system was only shown being used once in "Gatchaman II," but "Eagle Riders' reused this footage quite often as filler. For shorter distances, there are a number or corridors throughout G-Town (Episode #'s 1, 20, 37, and others).

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 28-03-2009 at 01:48.
No new posts 28-03-2009 01:44 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: