Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » It's Gatchaspartan week!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page It's Gatchaspartan week!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
It's Gatchaspartan week! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yes, it's time to pay tribute to the Gatchaspartan: the primary vehicle for our favorite ninja team during the Gatchaman Fighter series. This ship was unique in that it did not exist unless all five individual team member vehicles were combined. Additionally, even though the individual vehicles were weak compared to the combined Gatchaspartan, the ship launched in pieces, with the individual ninjas piloting them. Hence they almost always arrived at the scene separated, and then had to transform once they saw what big bad mecha-of-the-week they were facing.

I'm fairly sure that all of this stuff is because of the influence that the toy companies had over the Gatchaman F designs (James, jump in here, I'm struggling!).

As far as the Gatchaspartan looks, it has a strong resemblance to a paper airplane. That being said, IMHO it's a far sight better than that Gatcharooster. I missed the Firebird feature, though.

From what I can tell (and I'm certainly no expert) there was no autopilot feature on the Gatchaspartan, although there was one Fighter ep where the ship did appear to be flying itself. In ER Avery (Kamo) was supposed to be flying the ship remotely, but I'm not sure what the true explanation was in Gatch F.

The individual pieces of the Gatchaspartan, as the team is seeing them for the first time:

Another shot of the indivdual vehicles (the G1 is missing). G3 is above, G2 is in the middle, G5 is on the right, G4 is on the left. Wait, I might have gotten those last 2 mixed up.

The Gatchaspartan individual vehicles launch from the new Gatchaman Base:

The G2 is the last to join the others, to make the combined Gatchaspartan:

The Bridge of the Gatchaspartan:

The G1 detaches from the Gatchaspartan to perform the Hypershoot maneuver:

The Gatchaspartan facing a Galactor mecha:

And... recently, LB found a cool Youtube clip of the Gacthaspartan combining!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVm-cnBqeIk

And in case you were wondering, here is video of the Hypershoot weapon. Ken is standing on the entire Gatchaspartan, I think (he could also do it just on the G1) engaging the weapon with his 'light saber' and then slicing up the mecha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kig-5AAfdDU&feature=related

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 13-01-2009 at 15:06.
No new posts 13-01-2009 05:24 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I must say, however implausible it was that Ken could just stand on top of a flying ship and just cut through mechas, he looks really cool doing it!

Then again, I have a big weakness for swords.

No new posts 13-01-2009 14:50 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I thought it looked like a paper airplane too! When I first saw it I was wondering how they were able to launch it--using a giant rubber band?!

The original GodPhoenix will always be my favorite ship but I have to say comparing the Gatchaspartan to the New God Phoenix I like the NGP better. It looks like some thought went into the design rather than the paper airplane.

When I see Ken on that with the Hypershoot I keep thinking I'm hearing Alec Guinness saying "Use the force, Ken"

No new posts 13-01-2009 16:39 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan
When I see Ken on that with the Hypershoot I keep thinking I'm hearing Alec Guinness saying "Use the force, Ken"

ROFL 2

No new posts 13-01-2009 17:12 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

I kinda like the New God Phoenix better because it looks more like a plane too me... of course the original God Phoenix will always be my favorite...

Ken standing on the G-1 does look cool, but I can't help but think he could do the same thing from inside... after all he is flying a wedge Wink

No new posts 13-01-2009 17:15 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I see what you guys are saying about the plane, but that chicken face always does me in... The New God Phoenix just always makes me laugh, whereas occasionally the Gatchaspartan I can look at it and think 'Oh, that's cool!'

No new posts 13-01-2009 17:52 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan

The stuff that "crossover" fics are made of!

No new posts 13-01-2009 22:00 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Condorfan run now before they pull you into a fic writing your new thought! Lol

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 13-01-2009 23:30 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm torn on the Gatchaspartan, as to whether or not I like it over the NGP.

Along with the other views though, the original can't be beat.

No new posts 13-01-2009 23:33 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

It's kinda a tough call for me between the NGP and GS... If the NGP only had a different paint job.... Wink

BTW, the more I see/learn about Gatch and its subsequent series (especially F), the more I see the comparison between Gatch and GoLion/Voltron. Wow, so many GoLion elements were "borrowed" from Gatch... I'm surprised that Tatsunoko didn't bring copyright infringement charges against Toei Animation. Though I supposed part of that had to do with there being different copyright laws in Japan vs the US, and also it seems alot of the animation series borrow concepts heavily from eachother. Shrug

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 13-01-2009 23:52 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

If I had to choose between the NGP and the Gatchaspartan...

The bird face on the NGP bothers me, but then the Gatchaspartan has that clunky, paper airplane shape.

I think I'd take the NGP, as I prefer its overall shape (and I'd paint over the bird face!)

No new posts 14-01-2009 00:04 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchgirl

No, no! You know that Ken is really a jedi but doesn't know it yet...

No new posts 14-01-2009 00:06 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Funny that the Gatchasparten is this weeks feature! Since I'm writing the last ficcie of the series in Fighter.

I didn't knwo Ken could detach the G-1 and use the hypershoot at the same time!

Iboriga- I love sword fights too...Maybe thats why I love Highlander lots of sword fights! And of course the Scottish element to it.

The Gatchasparten can be coll in some ways...but I miss them transmuting the civillan vehicles into the cool high tech G-machines of the first series.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 14-01-2009 at 10:20.
No new posts 14-01-2009 10:14 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
Funny that the Gatchasparten is this weeks feature! Since I'm writing the last ficcie of the series in Fighter.

The Gatchasparten can be coll in some ways...but I miss them transmuting the civillan vehicles into the cool high tech G-machines of the first series.

Ebony, it should be an inspiration then to write more. Huggles

Also I think you have figured out what I miss about the gatchasparten. With the whole civillian changing and such, it always added something to it. Thanks for helping me understand what it is about the later series that just doesn't quite make it for me.

No new posts 15-01-2009 00:02 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:
Originally posted by gatchgirl

No, no! You know that Ken is really a jedi but doesn't know it yet...

Exactly, along with Katse being his mother. Evillaugh

No new posts 15-01-2009 00:03 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

I've got to admit, of the main mecha in all three Gatchaman series, the Gatcha Spartan is the one I like the least. I remember back in 1979, during the earliest days of this fandom, those of us who had seen the New God Phoenix thought that it looked awful, especially when compared to the original God Phoenix. Then the Gatcha Spartan came along, and we suddenly realized how good we had it with the New God Phoenix. Yes, the original ship still trumped them all, but at least it didn't look like a paper airplane or the poor man's Star Destroyer.

Anyway, regarding the Gatcha Spartan (And yes, it is two words, not one. If you look at the title card for Gatchaman Fighter episode #2, you'll see that there is a separator between the two words), Transmute Jun is correct that most of the responsibility for the ship can be blamed on Popy, the toy company that was a major sponsor for the series. At that time, Popy had been experiencing a lot of success with toys based on giant robot series that featured various smaller ships that combined into large robots, including Combattler V, Voltes V, Dartanius. As a result, Popy wanted more combining mecha from which they could make more toys of a similar nature. The Gatcha Spartan was the result. Incidentally, Tatsunoko also produced a giant robot series named Champion Gordian that premiered on the same day as Gatchaman Fighter and was also sponsored by Popy. As should come as no surprise, the titular robot of that series was formed by combining mecha.

The Planning for Gatchaman Fighter, then called by its preproduction name of "Burning Gatchaman," contains only a single reference to the Ninja Team's new mecha, when it states, "The individual G-Mecha are new, improved equipment, which unite into a fortress Phoenix." That's correct, the main ship was going to be the United Fortress Phoenix, not the Gatcha Spartan. This would have been a better name than Gatcha Spartan, if you ask me, since it would have been more in keeping with the previous series. Sadao Miyamoto produced a concept drawing with this vehicle, showing that it was to look like a large version of the hilt of Ken's Gatchaman Fencer.

Of course, this was eventually replaced by the familiar (And Popy approved) Gatcha Spartan design. At one point, the ship was apparently going to be called the "Phoenix Victory," but that name was later replaced by the familiar Gatcha Spartan monicker.

As far as the official stats for the Gatcha Spartan go, the ship is described as follows:

"Gatcha Spartan"
The Science Ninja Team's Strongest Super Mecha, the United Mecha Gatcha Spartan

Performance:
Engine: It uses the engines of the G-1 ~ G-5 mechas.

Maximum Speed:
In the air: Mach 5
Underwater: 60 knots

Functions:
The cockpit of the Gatcha 5 becomes the cockpit of the Gatcha Spartan when all the vehicles are united. When using the Hyper Shoot, its generator is brought up to the Red Zone, amplifying the Delta Power to output energy proportionate to 2,000,000 Kilowatts of power. That power flows into the Gatcha 1, intensifying Gatchaman's G-Suit and his Gatchaman Fencer to such a degree that he can cut through Iron Beasts. It can be remote controlled.

Weapons:
Two 30mm Vulcan Guns
10 Victory Missiles
One Spartan Laser

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 15-01-2009 at 03:52.
No new posts 15-01-2009 03:31 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

During the course of the series itself, we do learn other details regarding the Gatcha Spartan. After the New God Phoenix was destroyed in battle (Episode #1), I.S.O. Chief Engineer Saburo Kamo presented the Science Ninja Team with the Gatcha Spartan.

The Gatcha Spartan is formed when the individual G-Mecha combine together following Ken's command to "Unite! Gatcha Spartan" (Episode #'s 2, 4, 5, 6, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 26, 29, 30, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40, 42, 44, 45, 46), or, as on one occasion, the far more relaxed, "All right, everyone! Unite!" (Episode #12). The Science Ninja Team has even worked out a series of hand signs that will allow them to unite if radio communication between the G-Mecha is unavailable (Episode #45).

The ship separates into its individual components following Ken's command to "Branch Out!" (Episode #'s 24, 44, 4Cool. When Ken departs in the Gatcha 1, he may use the command, "G-1 Branch Out!" (Episode #32)

The edge of the Gatcha Spartan is strong enough to cut a slice into the hull of Iron Beasts (Episode #'s 5, 9), and even do the same with the hull of Governor Z (Episode #12).

When the Delta Power that powers the ship is brought up to full power, the Gatcha Spartan can ram through Iron Beasts.

Because of the Delta Power energy transmitted to the Gatcha Fencer through Ken's Bird Suit, he is powerful enough to stand on top of the Gatcha Spartan when it performs this maneuver (Episode #'s 2, 5, 6, 13, 42). The hull of the ship is even powerful enough to allow it to burrow underground (Episode #43).

This technique is later improved upon when Kamo upgraded the Gatcha Spartan's generators, allowing the ship to be used for the Science Ninpo Hyper Shoot, again with Ken leading the way by standing on the top of the ship. Though this Ninpo technique is painful for the rest of the Science Ninja Team on board the Gatcha Spartan (Episode #16), is makes the Gatcha Spartan powerful enough to easily withstand a direct assault from Iron Beasts (Episode #'s 21, 40). As a result, the Hyper Shoot is used to destroy numerous Gallactor Iron Beasts (Episode #'s 16, 17, 21, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 43).

The Science Ninja Team attempts to use the Hyper Shoot against Governor Z, but Governor Z possesses the power to stop the Hyper Shoot and return the Gatcha Spartan back to normal (Episode #43).

Originally it was thought that Joe would be better suited for the Hyper Shoot, thanks to his being a cyborg. But Ken insisted that he be the one to use it, over Nambu's objections (Episode #36).

A variation of the Hyper Shoot, called the Ultra Hyper Shoot, generates more power than the regular Hyper Shoot, so much so that Ken glows bright white instead of turquoise.

This increase in energy is powerful enough to protect Ken from the vacuum of space and will allow Ken to cut through powerful energy barriers than would otherwise be impenetrable. This effect is will even stay with Ken for a short while after he leaves the surface of the Gatcha Spartan. But using the Ultra Hyper Shoot is very draining, and will even leave the weakened Ken smoking once the effect has been powered down (Episode #44).

Generally forgotten are the other weapons on board the Gatcha Spartan. Foremost among these is the Spartan Laser, a powerful energy weapon (Episode #'s 6, 30, 31, 32, 47).

The Spartan Laser was even used to destroy Marstora's ship, killing the villain (Episode #30).

The Spartan Laser has also been referred to as the "Bird Laser Beam" (Episode #14). The Gatcha Spartan also carries a supply of Victory Missiles (Episode #33). By pushing the Gatcha Spartan to full power, with it's generator up to the Red Zone, the ship can be made to rotate fast enough that it can break down a waterspout (Episode #40)

The Gatcha Spartan has additional equipment that can be added to it if its mission requires it to travel into space. If the ship is to travel into space on it's own, it can be outfitted with two booster rockets and launched off of a ramp. These boosters will drop off the ship once it has left Earth's gravity (Episode #44).

Alternatively, the Gatcha Spartan can be loaded inside a rocket and launched into space that way (Episode #47).

For increased mobility in space, the Gatcha Spartan can be fitted with a rocket platform (Episode #47).

Also available is a missile launcher than can be mounted to the top of the ship, from which a trio of missiles can be fired.

Once all three missiles have been launched, the missile launcher is jettisoned (Episode #47).

The hatchway on the left side of the Gatcha Spartan is the one generally used to enter and exit the cockpit of the ship, though their is also a hatch on the right side as well (Episode #'s 12, 32).

If the hull of the ship should suffer a breach, it has an emergency airlock function that is able to reseal the ship (Episode #47).

If necessary, Kamo can pilot the Gatcha Spartan by remote control (Episode #12). The ship does carry special equipment used by the Science Ninja Team, such as a set of scuba suits for each Ninja Team member (Episode #5).

It even comes with a digital clock (Episode #47).

And there you go, more than you ever knew you didn't know about the Gatcha Spartan!

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 15-01-2009 at 03:54.
No new posts 15-01-2009 03:50 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for all of your information, James! As usual it is very enlightening! I apologize for my mistake in making Gatcha Spartan one word. I would change the title of the thread, but the board does not allow this.

It's a shame that they couldn't use that original (Fencer Hilt) design for the ship, or use the Phoenix name. I'm going to guess that they took away the Phoenix name because there is no Firebird?

Interesting that the 'Air Lock' is in English... kind of like the 'Super Bird Missile' button in the OAVs... Wink

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 15-01-2009 at 04:08.
No new posts 15-01-2009 03:59 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I didn't knwo Ken could detach the G-1 and use the hypershoot at the same time!

Actually, he can't. There tends to be a lot of confusion regarding the use of the Hyper Shoot. Despite what many people say, the Hyper Shoot was not in use during the first 15 episodes of the series. It was not introduced until episode #16. Prior to that, the Ninja Team simply used the increased power from turning the Delta Power up to allow their ship to ram through Gallactor mecha, usually after Ken had taken off in the Gatcha 1 and done some slicing and dicing on the Iron Beasts on his own.

After the Hyper Shoot was introduced into the series, Ken still did some of his personal Ginsu routine on things, though not as often. When they were using the Hyper Shoot, the entire Gatcha Spartan remained intact. The only time that we saw anything different done was when Ken leapt off of the Gatcha Spartan during the Ultra Hyper Shoot and sliced open the energy barrier protecting the anti-matter asteroid in episode #44.

If you want a quick guide as to whether or not they're using the Hyper Shoot, look for the tourquoise glow around the Gatcha Spartan. If it's not there, they're not using the Hyper Shoot.

James

No new posts 15-01-2009 04:05 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Wow, once again, James, you've given us a wealth of information -especially valuable as it's nearly always harder to find out details about Gatch F than the other two series!

No new posts 15-01-2009 04:28 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: