Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Awe...he's so cute what should we name him...wow its twins!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Whats in a name?
Swan Jun vote leftpercentvote right 5 26.32%
Mark vote leftpercentvote right 4 21.05%
Condor Joe vote leftpercentvote right 3 15.79%
Eagle Ken vote leftpercentvote right 3 15.79%
Condor Jason vote leftpercentvote right 2 10.53%
Princess vote leftpercentvote right 1 5.26%
Tiny vote leftpercentvote right 1 5.26%
Kentaro vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
Ryu the Owl vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
Jinpei the mighty Swallow vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
Total: 19 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Awe...he's so cute what should we name him...wow its twins!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gatchgirl
Which fic is that TJ, or is it still being written?

Nope, it's an old one. Sunset

No new posts 05-01-2009 23:08 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yuki it looks like you named you son correctly!!! Does he have his own birdstyle???

No new posts 06-01-2009 00:54 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:
Originally posted by Barrdwing
I have a chicken that's gone from a hen to a rooster . . .

They can do that ???

Yes, although it's not common, and certainly not voluntary. Wink Usually it's due to some kind of inflammation destroying the ovarian tissue; when this happens, there's usually a little scrap of dormant testicular tissue hanging out on the right ovary, and it becomes active. One of the hens we had growing up did this when she was about four years old: changed her feathers, taught herself to crow, the whole deal. But the bird we have now has so many physical problems (he's crippled and can't use his legs) that I'm wondering if this is just another one of his many issues coming to light.

Anyway, this bird is in the middle of transitioning from hen feathering to rooster feathering. He doesn't crow (thankfully--got enough crowing roosters around here) and the rooster feathering isn't complete yet: it's started at his head and is working its way towards the tail. Since he's a Polish, that means he has this enormous mop of crazy feathers on his head: he looks like that one vulture from Disney's The Jungle Book. Just another one of my weird pets! Freak1

No new posts 06-01-2009 02:28 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
saturn saturn is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 21-05-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cain Highwind

Jun - Jun is apparently a Chinese male name meaning "handsome"

I know my mom told me when she named me (my real name's Arlen by the way, and no, I don't mind if you want to call me by that ^_^) that she got it both from the composer "Harold Arlen" and it's Gaelic origin, meaning "Pledge". I pretty much plan to go about my children in the same way really.

Dear Arlen/Cain
What a nice name with a beautiful meaning, your mum must have put a lot of thought in your name, and I truly believe you should do the same thing to your children too, Smile

And to be more accurate regarding the Chinese origin of the name "Jun" (since I am Chinese, Wink ) , Jun is actually a Chinese name for a baby girl,
meaning "Truth".

Well, if I have to choose names for my twins, it would be either Mark or Jason for a boy and definitely Jun for a girl.

I would never choose the name "Joe" because although it is a common name in western countries, "Joe" in my country is the nickname for street peddler or hawker, so no "Joe" unless it is your desired career path for your children, Laugh1

The name "Princess" might seem weird in the western countries, but I have students with the names like "Princess Diana" , "Lady Diana" and even "Cinderella" (seriously!!). Parents in my country don't usually give western names for their children, but for those who do, they will just use the names of famous people or characters from the west, and hence, the above names.
My most favorite student's name for all time is "James Bond". Whenever this boy asked me how I was doing, I would always resist the urge to answer 'Shaken, not stirred", Big Grin

No new posts 06-01-2009 02:56 saturn is offline Send an Email to saturn Search for Posts by saturn Add saturn to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
quote:
quote:

They can do that ???

Yes, although it's not common, and certainly not voluntary. Wink Usually it's due to some kind of inflammation destroying the ovarian tissue; when this happens, there's usually a little scrap of dormant testicular tissue hanging out on the right ovary, and it becomes active. One of the hens we had growing up did this when she was about four years old: changed her feathers, taught herself to crow, the whole deal. But the bird we have now has so many physical problems (he's crippled and can't use his legs) that I'm wondering if this is just another one of his many issues coming to light.

Anyway, this bird is in the middle of transitioning from hen feathering to rooster feathering. He doesn't crow (thankfully--got enough crowing roosters around here) and the rooster feathering isn't complete yet: it's started at his head and is working its way towards the tail. Since he's a Polish, that means he has this enormous mop of crazy feathers on his head: he looks like that one vulture from Disney's The Jungle Book. Just another one of my weird pets! Freak1

Fascinating -why didn't my biology teachers tell me about this? I'm racking my brains here now, because I have a dim memory of a biology textbook, years ago, that had a photo of a female chicken that was produced via parthenogenesis -and she had somewhat deformed legs -probably this has no relation to your chicken's problems though.

I'm chuckling at your description! My BF is Polish, and his head is quite... sparsely feathered. Guess it's only the chickens!

No new posts 06-01-2009 04:08 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

That's so interesting.... I've never heard of a bird going from hen to rooster!

No new posts 06-01-2009 04:19 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by saturn
The name "Princess" might seem weird in the western countries, but I have students with the names like "Princess Diana" , "Lady Diana" and even "Cinderella" (seriously!!). Parents in my country don't usually give western names for their children, but for those who do, they will just use the names of famous people or characters from the west, and hence, the above names.
My most favorite student's name for all time is "James Bond". Whenever this boy asked me how I was doing, I would always resist the urge to answer 'Shaken, not stirred", Big Grin

I haven't met someone with an interesting name lately but I do remember my grandmother saying she grew up with a boy named Lemon Fresch.

No new posts 06-01-2009 04:23 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They can do that ???

Fascinating -why didn't my biology teachers tell me about this? I'm racking my brains here now, because I have a dim memory of a biology textbook, years ago, that had a photo of a female chicken that was produced via parthenogenesis -and she had somewhat deformed legs -probably this has no relation to your chicken's problems though.

I'm chuckling at your description! My BF is Polish, and his head is quite... sparsely feathered. Guess it's only the chickens!

Barrdwing, I kept thinking that you were joking. It must be totally messed up to realize that it's happening. Makes you wonder if it's not a case like Katse's was supposed to be?

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 06-01-2009 23:54 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
Originally posted by gatchgirl
Which fic is that TJ, or is it still being written?

Nope, it's an old one. Sunset

Thanks TJ, sometime I hope to get caught up on all my reading!

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 06-01-2009 23:55 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I'm still catching up!!! One day I'll be there with my reading..

No new posts 07-01-2009 12:19 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

Oh--sorry, gatchgirl. I'm afraid it really does happen with chickens . . . creepy though it is. I think they do get confused by it, but chickens aren't particularly bright, so they aren't likely to stop and think, "I used to want to sit on eggs, but now I feel like crowing and fighting with the rooster--what's wrong with me?" They're more along the lines of doing whatever they feel like doing at any given time . . . whatever that might be.

And I can tell you, a chicken in general is possessed of a bug-eyed obstinancy when it sets its mind to do something. Wink Tank

There's a theory that this can actually be beneficial to the flock, because if something happens to the rooster and one of the hens is able to step up and fill his role, the flock is more stable and safer from predators (it's the rooster's job to keep an eye out for hawks and other hazards, and sound the alarm when there's danger). She/he will never be fertile, but other than that it's about as good as having a real rooster around. In the meanwhile, there's probably at least one rooster chick somewhere in the flock, and he can take over when he grows up. The hen/rooster can't switch back, though, so it's kind of hard on her/him when that happens.

No new posts 08-01-2009 04:44 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cain Highwind
Jason - Healer
Mark - Warlike / Rebellious
Ken - Handsome
Joe - "God will increase" so it says
Jun - Jun is apparently a Chinese male name meaning "handsome" just like Ken, coincidence?. "June" simply refers to being born in June.

I think everyone knows how oddly obsessive I am about the names I use in my fics, so it should come as no surprise that I actually have a general idea of the Gatch name origins...

Joe (using Joji, since for all intents and purposes that is the Japanese equivalent to Joe) has a couple different meanings, depending on the characters used. I've seen it translated as Cain has above, but I've also seen it as "hand or turn over peace". It's also sometimes used for the second son, since the suffix ji could translate to two or second (interesting, since Joe is the G2, second in command!). Though the most interesting translation I saw (and most humorous if you know Joe's original character description!) is "farmer"!! ROFL 2

Ken I've seen as "healthy", "strong" and even "born of fire". Never saw anything that said "clueless when it comes to a certain Swan or any other female!" though! Laugh2

Like TJ, I've seen the Japanese translation of Jun mean "obedient" or "purity".

Ryu is "dragon".

Jinpei I'm still working on... I've seen Jin translated as "gold" (from the Chinese) or as "humanity" or "virtue". I have yet to figure out what pei means...

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Hinotori on 09-01-2009 at 20:52.
No new posts 09-01-2009 20:51 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: