Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » Polar Express
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Polar Express
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Polar Express Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Just got back from seeing this movie, with my 5.75 year old daughter.

I have only recently begun to get the idea that this might be a very well known kids' book on the other side of the big pond, since watching an epispde of Malcolm in the Middle where Dewey is supposed to read it while in the "emotionally disturbed" class, and suddenly connecting that with all those Coca Cola adverts with the big train at Christmas theme. So I had no idea what to expect.

First of all, the animation is largely gorgeous. There are a number of set pieces throughout the film where the sequence design is just fantastic, for example the opening sequence where the boy is in bed and gets out was so realistically animated that I had real problems remembering that it wasn't live action (lots of motion capture).

And there is a sequence where a lost ticket blows through a pack of wolves, around a viaduct, gets snatched by an eagle and taken to its nest and fed to its chick, which spits it out and the ticket continues to romp around having its own adventure for a while longer. This is one of the most fantastic animated sequences I have ever seen - well, no doubt I have seen similar sequences animated, but trying to pass as live action. Being put in an animated movie where it doesn't have to fool anyone, the creators have really gone to town on it. My own personal favourite bit of the movie Wink

I expect this movie to be appearing in Imax cinemas - there are so many roller coaster / motion simulator sequences that it would be a natural. Somehow it wasn't a strong enough effect to set my motion sickness off though Wink

As the animated characters go, they're a bit uneven. It's not particularly that some characters have been given a lot more attention than others, as happened in the Final Fantasy movie, but that the same characters are astoundingly lifelike in some sequences and kinda wooden in others.

Now the problem - I expected this movie (having not seen any reviews of it) to be suitable for my not-quite-6 year old. But she spent a significant part of the journey, which is full of hazards and peril, curled up weeing with her face buried in my shoulder while I tried to reassure her that nobody was going to get hurt and that nothing nasty was going to happen. Fortunately this is the first half of the movie, and the second half didn't scare her at all, but she was, for that unspecified amount of time, absolutely terrified - far more than in Finding Nemo.

Ywah, I should probably be more sensitive to her terror, as this is by far the most scared she's ever been in a movie and I was getrting close to the point of getting us out of there. But I tend to trust the filmmakers to target the audience right, and I'm trying to teach her to cope with things even though she's scared, and the peril was fortunately only in the journey. Once they get to the northern lights there are no more scary bits.

So, I have no idea how closely it follows the book. But my weepy one was laughing and happy and full of wonder at the end with all the fear of the first half forgotten, so I think it was a success. She's even made up a song about it which keeps the same words and tune each time she sings it.

But any of you planning to take small kids to see it, just be aware that there are bits in there which might scare them.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 10-12-2004 19:45 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

As a storyteller, I've used a version of this story for my Christmas storytimes for years employing a little slight of hand at the end by replacing a jingle-less bell (with the clapper removed), with a jingle bell and asking the children if they 'believed'. Always a big hit with the 6 and under crowd. It really is a sweet, sweet story with nicely panoramic, if sterile, artwork. (I am not a big fan of Chris Van Allsberg's art as a whole. It is just intirely to cold and industrial-disturbing for me. Very Big Brother feeling for some reason to me. Jumanji was just bizarre.)

I have yet to see this movie, but from the previews gave the impression of adding lots of unneccessary footage to make what is inherantly a well rounded 30 minute short into a stretched 90 minute feature film.

Without seeing the movie, I'd hazard a guess that most folks would want to just skip it and as they say 'read the book, it's better'.

Any other thoughts?

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 11-12-2004 03:03 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Considering that the book isn't that long...I'd say that they probably added a lot. From what I've heard, it's the train trip (the part that gets rather scary) that's been lengthened, for the most part.

Jumanji was my favorite book as a kid. Probably because of it's oddity.

But that's cool what you do with the kids! I bet they really like that. I know the kids I've watched would love it.

No new posts 11-12-2004 03:24 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: