Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Hold on to your Chickens...
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hold on to your Chickens...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

No worries, Hino; I know Zark has got serious flaws. But seriously, can you imagine the disasters if he were flying the ship? <cringe> Sailor

No new posts 25-11-2008 04:32 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

There's not much that can be said in defence of the chicken ship.

But I had one, since there was a shop in the city centre where I grew up selling these rebadged as BOTP, and it was a really good toy Big Grin

It could shoot missiles from under the wings, the wings opened up to reveal where 2 of the vehicles went, the front folded up to make the runway for the G1, and there was also a spring loaded pod on the top and a pod at the back for the other 2 vehicles. It even had doubly hinged landing gear.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 25-11-2008 09:21 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Barrdwing
No worries, Hino; I know Zark has got serious flaws. But seriously, can you imagine the disasters if he were flying the ship? <cringe> Sailor

I think he'd always be in danger of crashing because he'd be Windexing the viewscreen!!!!

No new posts 25-11-2008 15:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
veritas veritas is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

spacer

I just dont like it, call me old fashioned. Maybe if it had a paint job it would be tolerable..... but dont hold me to that

No new posts 25-11-2008 15:07 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by meridianday

But I had one, since there was a shop in the city centre where I grew up selling these rebadged as BOTP, and it was a really good toy Big Grin

It could shoot missiles from under the wings, the wings opened up to reveal where 2 of the vehicles went, the front folded up to make the runway for the G1, and there was also a spring loaded pod on the top and a pod at the back for the other 2 vehicles. It even had doubly hinged landing gear.

That does sound like fun! Do you ever wish you still had it?

No new posts 25-11-2008 15:12 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Okay, this is my experiment to see if it's possible to improve the appearance of the New God Phoenix by trying to get rid of those damned eyes and yellow beak!

(Images from Junsjoint.net's ER section)

Yep, without those eyes and yellow beak, it does look a bit better but still looks like a blind flying chicken now.

No new posts 25-11-2008 15:39 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
Originally posted by Barrdwing

I think he'd always be in danger of crashing because he'd be Windexing the viewscreen!!!!

laugh3

AND talking to Susan on the mobile phone, while plioting.

laugh3 laugh3

AND telling 1-Rover-1 to stop chewing up the seats.

laugh3 laugh3 laugh3

AAAANNNNDDDDD Galactor will be just sitting there just wondering what the heck is going on over there.

No new posts 25-11-2008 15:43 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:
Originally posted by meridianday

That does sound like fun! Do you ever wish you still had it?

I haven't got that particular one. But I bought another one since.... Big Grin The collector in me couldn't let it pass by. Wish I knew where it was now though. I think it's in the attic.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 25-11-2008 22:06 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

What is areo-dynamic about that beak??? (Ahhh my spelling is shocking today.) Lol2

No new posts 25-11-2008 22:16 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

That ship was the scariest thing in the series, except for the Condor Attacker. What on earth were they thinking.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 25-11-2008 22:41 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
What is areo-dynamic about that beak??? (Ahhh my spelling is shocking today.) Lol2

Hey it is probably better than that ship the team protects early in the series, when RI first shows up and destroys the ship because it is under Galactor control. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the ship.

No new posts 25-11-2008 23:37 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Hey it is probably better than that ship the team protects early in the series, when RI first shows up and destroys the ship because it is under Galactor control. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the ship.

It's the Blue Hawk. And nope, the Blue Hawk was *far* better looking than the NGP.

No new posts 25-11-2008 23:58 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer

It's the Blue Hawk. And nope, the Blue Hawk was *far* better looking than the NGP.

That is right, the Blue Hawk.
But I meant Aerodynamically, The Blue Hawk looks a lot less aerodynamic than the NGP does. Not that the NGP was a better looking ship than the Blue Hawk.

No new posts 26-11-2008 02:29 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Well, I'm certainly not going to try to convince anyone that the New God Phoenix is a better looking ship than the original God Phoenix, because it isn't. I will admit that, over the years, I have gotten used to its design, so it doesn't horrify me anymore. And, you have to admit, it has a lot more character than the Gatcha Spartan does!

Anyway, as far as official stats for the ship goes, here's what was written up regarding it in the Gatchaman II Planning:

"New God Phoenix

Then main mecha that houses each of Gatchaman and the others mecha.

(Performance)

Engine
Equipped with two large rocket engines.
Maximum Speed:
In the air: Mach 5.0
Underwater: 60 knots
Cruising Range
18,000 KM

(Functions)

It has automated storage equipment, is rigged with radar as well as numerous information systems, and is also able to run underwater.

(Armament)

Equipped with four 50mm Vulcan Guns.
Equipped with 10 rounds of "Bird Missile 2."
The "Science Ninpo Firebird" is identical to the previous production; when the limits of the generator are exceeded, it produces intense flames."

The New God Phoenix made its first appearance in episode #10 of the Gatchaman radio drama, in a story set between the first and second Gatchaman TV series. In it, once the Science Ninja Team send the original God Phoenix to a watery grave, Dr. Nambu appears in a submarine and takes them to G-Town. Once there, he introduces them to the new God Phoenix. After G-Town surfaces, Nambu orders the Ninja Team out in their new ship, taking it flying into the sky. The next five episode of the series were stories that later appeared in Gatchaman II, so the new God Phoenix was included in all of those.

While the New God Phoenix isn't as popular with fans as the original God Phoenix is, the Science Ninja Team members apparently loved the ship, and take some time in the first episode to gush about how wonderful it is. Their reactions come across like people who are seeing the ship for the first time, just like the viewers. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since, according to Nambu, they have been continuing their training since Gallactor was first defeated. If they had been training, the appearance of their ship should be nothing new to them. Oh well, that's just a concession we have to make to the fact that it's a new series with new equipment to introduce to the audience.

The first episode also contains a bit of information regarding the stats for the New God Phoenix that differ from what was in the Planning. As the ship is launching, the Narrator is telling viewers all it, including that the ship has a maximum speed of Mach 8.5, a full 3.5 Mach faster than what the stats for the ship list. But, since it appeared in the show itself, I'd say it takes precedence over what was in the Planning.

Over the course of the series, we learn more about the capabilities of the New God Phoenix beyond what it outlined in the Planning, as well as some of the specialized equipment the ship carries.

The hull of the New God Phoenix so strong that the ship can ram it's way completely through the Gallactor base located inside a mountain. If it should lose power to its engines, the New God Phoenix has the ability to glide through the air for distances far in excess of what one would expect (Episode #24).

The Planning notes that the New God Phoenix can use the Firebird. We also see that the New God Phoenix can transform into the Firebird both in the vacuum of space and while underwater. When submerged, the field forming the Firebird somehow causes the water to freeze. As with the original God Phoenix, all the Ninja Team vehicles are needed for the New God Phoenix to use the Firebird. Part of the circuit created by these vehicles generates 700,000 volts of energy (Episode #'s 8, 9).

The New God Phoenix can also use the Firebird Shadow Separation. The only major change from the Firebird Shadow Separation used in the original Gatchaman is that now there are five individual vehicles for the Science Ninja Team to use, instead of the four that were originally available (Episode #6).

A new Ninpo technique involving the New God Phoenix made its first appearance in Gatchaman II -- Science Ninpo Bird Diving. Bird Diving puts the New God Phoenix into an extremely fast dive. The wind resistance this dive generates can be used to force an enemy that is swarming over the surface of the New God Phoenix off the ship. The risks involved with using this Ninpo are that the extreme G-forces created inside the New God Phoenix make it difficult to control the ship, and that the New God Phoenix is in danger of crashing into the ground if the pilot is unable to pull out of the dive in time. (Episode #11)

The New God Phoenix can escape Earth's atmosphere and travel in outer space by use of a rocket booster attached to its rear. This booster allows the New God Phoenix to travel safely to the Moon and back (Episode #'s 8, 18, 44).

It is well known that the New God Phoenix has hangars for the five individual G-Mecha used by the Science Ninja Team members, but it is often forgotten that it also includes hangars additional vehicles. One of these, the Swan Rocket, is a one-man open air rocket for use in space. It launches from the top of the nose section of the New God Phoenix (Episode #8).

The other, a submarine with seating for all five Ninja Team members, is launched from the bottom of the ship (Episode #30).

The New God Phoenix can also be used to transport the Orbiter G into space for launch (Episode #44).

In addition to the commonly used Bird Missiles, the New God Phoenix also carries a Magnetic Missile. This missile, fired from the bottom of the New God Phoenix, generates a powerful magnetic field that can attract smaller metallic object to the missile, carrying them with the missile to its target. The Magnetic Missile has a delayed detonation, allowing it time to attract as many smaller object as possible before it explodes (Episode #11).

The New God Phoenix also has a remote flying sensor unit that can fly ahead of it to detect electromagnetic fields that can disrupt the electronic systems on board the ship before the New God Phoenix itself is affected (Episode #24)

And if that weren't enough, the New God Phoenix can readily be used as a Bomber, carrying a payload over a target and releasing them from the bottom of the ship (Episode #'s 7, 37).

If the need arises to transfer personnel from the New God Phoenix to another ship in flight, the ship is equipped with harnesses to lower two people at a time through a hatch toward the bottom of the rear section of the vessel (Episode #15).

One piece of specialized equipment on the ship allows the Science Ninja Team to track the location of any of the individual G-Mecha, as well as identify the ship by its call sign (Episode #10). The New God Phoenix also possesses a sonar probe for detecting movement underwater (Episode #15).

Amid all of monitors and sophisticated equipment in the Control Room of the New God Phoenix, one will find a hot-line style telephone, which can be called if someone needs to reach the Science Ninja Team in an emergency (Episode #27).

Also, the New God Phoenix has facilities for storing drinks, as Jinpei has been seen holding a drink in the Control Room (Episode #9).

Alas, the New God Phoenix met its demise at the hands of Gallactor's Drill Mecha. The ship was badly damaged and shot out of the sky, crashing to the ground below. The Science Ninja Team barely escaped its destruction with their lives (Gatchaman Fighter #1).

James

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 26-11-2008 at 22:05.
No new posts 26-11-2008 06:37 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Since this week is about more than just the new God Phoenix, let's take a look at Pimer. The comparisons between Pimer and 7-Zark-7 are obvious, since both are R2-D2 inspired robots that appeared in the Gatchaman universe in 1978. It has been suggested more than once over the years that one may have inspired the creation of the other, but the timing doesn't really bear that out. Both characters were being created on opposite sides of the Pacific Ocean at essentially the same time, without either Sandy Frank or Tatsunoko knowing what the other was doing. As fun as it might be to think that there was some sort of mutual collaboration going on, the truth is that both Tatsunoko and Sandy Frank came up with the notion of their robots independently.

Regardless, this isn't about Zark, it's about Pimer. Like the New God Phoenix, Pimer made his first appearance in episode #10 of the Gatchaman radio drama. In that story, after the New God Phoenix has been launched from G-Town, Nambu orders everyone to take their new individual G-Mecha out to begin their training. Ryu wonders who will control the New God Phoenix if he leaves, and Nambu introduces him to their Pilot Machine, Pimer. Pimer subsequently had a small role in four more episodes of the series.

TV viewers were introduced to Pimer in Gatchaman II #1, when Pimer is raised into the New God Phoenix's Control Room and takes his position manning the control of the ship. When asked why Ryu calls the robot "Pimer," Ryu explains that the name is an abbreviation of "Pilot Machine" Jun thinks this is a cute name. No one asks what Pimer thinks.

You may be wondering how "Pilot Machine" becomes Pimer. Well, it actually makes more sense in Japanese than in English. Pimer in Japanese is "Paima," and Pilot Machine is "Pairotto Mashin," hence "Pai" and "Ma." The name "Pimer" comes from the Popy die cast toy of the robot, which had the name "Pimer" in Romaji on the toy. Early American Gatchaman fans latched onto the Pimer name, and it's stuck ever since.

Honestly, Pimer doesnt do too much in the course of the series. While listed along with the main cast in the credits of every episode, Pimer only appears in 28 episodes, mostly seen flying the New God Phoenix and saying the occasional "Roger" to orders given to him.

Over the course of the series, we learn that Pimer can locate the Ninja Team members via their Bracelets (Episode #2) and that Pimer's palm-sized power unit is located on his back (Episode #24).

We also learn that Pimer is adversely affected by magnetic fields (Episode #'s 10, 24, 38).

Pimer actually takes on a key role when the Ninja Team uses the Firebird Shadow Separation. When this is done, Pimer remains at the controls of the New God Phoenix, while the members of the Science Ninja Team are in their separate craft. (Episode #6)

While it is never officially stated, Pimer was probably destroyed along with the New God Phoenix in the battle with Gallactor's Drill Mecha (Gatchaman Fighter #1).

Pimer has the distinction of having been voiced by two actresses. For the first episode of Gatchaman II, Kazue Komiya provided the robot's voice. Beginning with episode #2, Yo Inoue took over the role. Ms. Inoue continued as Pimer through the rest of the run of the series. In a sad note, Ms. Inoue died from lung cancer on February 28, 2003. She may be gone, but she'll always be remembered by Gatchaman fans for her part in the series.

James

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 26-11-2008 at 22:06.
No new posts 26-11-2008 06:39 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Thanks for all this great info, James!

No new posts 26-11-2008 13:18 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Wow, thanks James.

No new posts 26-11-2008 14:53 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Thanks James!

No new posts 26-11-2008 15:06 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

You know, I recall seeing all of those Gatch II episodes, but when you put all of those abilities of the NGP together it sure is a lot! The ship itself was great, but the appearance of it still makes me shudder.... Erm2

I recall the phone on the bridge of the NGP. I thought it was hysterical that they had such an outdated communication system! Very reminiscent of the Batphone.

I never knew that much about Pimer before! I notice however that unlike Zark, the KNT didn't really seem to have any attachment to him. I guess to them, Pimer was just another piece of the machinery.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 26-11-2008 at 21:39.
No new posts 26-11-2008 18:30 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Okay, a slight update to the previously posted info, now with added pictures that I didn't have time to deal with last night.

James

No new posts 26-11-2008 20:46 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: