Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Blackbirds Week
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Blackbirds Week
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer
Blackbirds Week Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well we're on a new week, so time for a new theme!

I don't have time right now to get screen shots, but maybe someone else has some? Wink

And James's expertise is always appreciated... Smile

No new posts 10-11-2008 15:41 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Here's one pick, from Junsjoint.net!

No new posts 10-11-2008 16:21 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I have no pics of Blackbirds at all, so thanks for getting this started for me, Shamrockchick! You're right on the schedule!!!!

This reminds me of the Blackbirds fic that Maddy started and I was nudging her on... and then once we agreed to collaborate it kind of fell by the wayside. Ah well, maybe someday...

No new posts 10-11-2008 16:29 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Ladygalactor777 Ladygalactor777 is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Here's one pick, from Junsjoint.net!

I call them The Mosquito Squad...they look more like mosquitoes than birds.. 

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ladygalactor777 on 10-11-2008 at 16:51.
No new posts 10-11-2008 16:50 Ladygalactor777 is offline Send an Email to Ladygalactor777 Search for Posts by Ladygalactor777 Add Ladygalactor777 to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I can see where you got that idea LG, with those long pointed noses.
I had never noticed before, those Black Birds have gun holsters, do all Black Birds have them? I guess I will have to check ..... if I can find time.

No new posts 10-11-2008 17:42 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Ladygalactor777 Ladygalactor777 is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-08-2008

spacer

Yes they do have big guns & all of them ride motorcycles...Mosquito squad bikers hahahahha 

No new posts 10-11-2008 18:07 Ladygalactor777 is offline Send an Email to Ladygalactor777 Search for Posts by Ladygalactor777 Add Ladygalactor777 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I found a pic of the only Blackbird with a name, Koji Yabane (at Junsjoint.net)

I can't tell if he has a holster, but he does have a stylish scarf!

No new posts 10-11-2008 18:27 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Askura
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-07-2004

spacer

Shame they were never used more...

No new posts 10-11-2008 19:07 Askura is offline Send an Email to Askura Search for Posts by Askura Add Askura to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: kernbrit
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

And Koji is definitely my favorite blackbird...he was an interesting character...they should have kept him around longer to make Ken jealous! Wink3

and don't forget the blackbird who dressed as the old President with the cane...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 10-11-2008 21:29 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie

And Koji is definitely my favorite blackbird...he was an interesting character...they should have kept him around longer to make Ken jealous! Wink3

There was definitely potential there for an interesting storyline, but if Joe was any example, the writers clearly didn't intend to let anyone's love interest survive more than one episode.

Now that I think about it, Joe was more perturbed about Koji than Ken was, although I don't think it was a jealousy thing!

No new posts 10-11-2008 23:57 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Well, Joe just doesn't like the idea of anyone having a life outside of the team. If he can't have it, then no one can! Wink

No new posts 10-11-2008 23:58 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ahhh, yes now that makes sense with the girl Jun knows, the one who constructed the Messiah heads in the mountain, that Joe assumes must be part of Galactor. Smile

No new posts 11-11-2008 01:01 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Let's see, about the Black Birds. What to say about them... Well, the easiest place to start would be with the write-up I did for them for the 2005 GatchaCon fanzine, where I said:

The Black Bird Group
(In Gatchaman #'s 24, 56, 77, 85, and 88)

Gallactor's own group of Ninjas, or "Ninja Killers" when confronted by others with similar skills. They are used for assassinations, to eliminate traitors to Gallactor, to steal information wanted by Gallactor, and for the occasional commando-style raid on enemy bases. The Black Birds carry guns, knives, grenades, and rifles, but generally prefer to use their ninjutsu and martial arts training to strike at foes. The Black Birds will also readily use any object in the area of a battle as weapons, such as making weapons of forklifts or cement mixers at a construction site. Like the Science Ninja Team, they are able to use their capes to glide. They have skill in the arts of infiltration and disguise, but freely admit that they are better at combat. When necessary, they will follow the edicts of Operation Zero, where they sacrifice themselves to complete their mission.

While the Black Birds have used special cars equipped with smoke screens on their missions, they are better known for their motorcycle skills. Their ability to perform incredible stunts on their cycles has led them to be called "Acrobat Riders."

With the variety of skills the Black Birds possess, it should be no surprise that their talents are utilized by other divisions within Gallactor for their operations. At various times, they have been trained for special missions by the GCIA, or used to run Iron Beasts on important missions.

Like the Devil Stars, the Black Birds were not something that was part of the initial "Gatchaman" Planning Establishment. Instead, they were a group created during the run of the TV series, first appearing in the Neon Giant story. Unlike the Devil Stars, the scenario version of the story for their first appearance did not contain any significant differences where the Black Birds were concerned. What we eventually saw was pretty close to what was originally planned. Also unlike the Devil Stars, who mostly appeared in flashbacks to the death of Joe's parents, the Black Birds were active participants in the events of the stories they appeared in.

I'd have to say that the concept of the Black Birds was a great idea, and one that really should have been exploited to give Gallactor someone who could meet the Science Ninja Team on more or less equal footing. It would seem likely that Tatsunoko did originally intend to use them more, but for whatever reason (Sponsors not liking the idea, perhaps?), they were shelved for 32 episodes after their first appearance. Still, they did make a comeback, and they made for some memorable appearances when they did.

While the Black Birds did not make a return in "Gatchaman II" or "Gatchaman Fighter," where they were replaced by groups like the Gallacon and the Rider Commando, they did come back for the "Gatchaman" OAV series. For that version of the Black Birds, here's what I wrote for that same GatchaCon 2005 fanzine.

Black Birds
(In Gatchaman OAV Volumes 1 and 2)

Gallactor's Ninja Squadron. They are a large group, placed on Iron Beasts and in Gallactor bases to subdue intruders. Their fighting styles are similar to that of the Science Ninja Team, and their uniforms include sharp claws on their hands. The weapon of choice for the Black Birds is a dagger-like shuriken that can glow when thrown.

Their presence at the Gallactor base on on BC Island was greatly weakened by a successful and massive infiltration of their ranks by the International Secret Ninja Squadron Red Impulse.

Like most things in the OAVs, the Black Birds added a lot of pretty flash, in particular to their fight scenes, but not much in the way of depth. Regardless, it was nice to see them again!

James

No new posts 11-11-2008 01:58 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Thanks James! I hadn't seen it before, but I do like the OAV style of the BlackBirds...

No new posts 11-11-2008 02:10 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you for the information and images James.
This is great, there is some stuff I could use in my AU stories here.

Question James: Did the Black Birds have those "claws" in Gatch I or was it only in the OAV's. For some reason I picture/remember them with retractable type claws like Wolverine has (only they retract into the uniform not the body), interesting how I mixed "worlds" in my mind. *Shrug* Oh well I guess that will be a new addition from my AU. Wink

No new posts 11-11-2008 02:21 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Did the Black Birds have those "claws" in Gatch I or was it only in the OAV's.

Only the OAV versions had the claws. The TV series versions had uniforms like you see in the model sheets, with clawless gloves.

James

No new posts 11-11-2008 02:25 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

James, that is wonderful information (as always). I hadn't thought about the importance of the Blackbirds appearing in the OAVs before.

I agree that it sure seemed like the Blackbirds were supposed to be as good as the KNT in some of their first appearances. Then later on they were relegated to 'just another Galactor fighting force'. It does seem like they could have been used better.

No new posts 11-11-2008 02:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

quote:
Did the Black Birds have those "claws" in Gatch I or was it only in the OAV's.

Only the OAV versions had the claws. The TV series versions had uniforms like you see in the model sheets, with clawless gloves.

James

Thank you James. Now I am wondering, if I only watched the TV series, where I picked up the idea that Black Birds had claws?

No new posts 11-11-2008 02:38 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for this information, James! I'm noticing now that they kept the extremely pointed beaks on their helmets in the OAV -a nice bit of continuity there.

I agree -their story potential was under-utilized, but it seems they got more non-flashback action than the Devil Stars.

No new posts 11-11-2008 04:23 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gogirl212 gogirl212 is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-07-2008

spacer

Wow. Thanks for all of this great info. It is interesting to speculate how having a more worthy opponent - or at least an opponent that was similar in style and skills - would have impacted the overall series. Thought their appearances may have been few, the Blackbirds are very memorable.

No new posts 11-11-2008 05:55 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: