Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Election Day
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Election Day
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer
Election Day Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well I did my part and voted this morning. Flower

Don't think I'll be staying up til 3 in the morning to find out who wins though lol...

No new posts 04-11-2008 18:21 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I voted just now, figuring it would be less crowded in the early afternoon, and I was right -I didn't have to wait at all.

Then I went to Starbucks, because I heard on NPR this morning that they would give you a free coffee if you told them that you had voted, and it's true -I'm drinking my free cup right now!

Coffee

No new posts 04-11-2008 19:31 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hmmm... I hadn't heard of that one. Here in Northern VA, Chik-fil-a is giving a free regular sandwich if you show them your voting sticker...

I went about 10 am and it only took me 5 min to vote... no waiting Big Grin

No new posts 04-11-2008 19:35 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

I went at 10:00 a.m. and didn't have to wait long at all. I wish I knew about the Starbucks thing. I still have my sticker--maybe they'll let me have some coffee!

All this talk about Joe the plumber----phooee! Give me Joe the Condor any day! Condor

No new posts 04-11-2008 19:49 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan

All this talk about Joe the plumber----phooee! Give me Joe the Condor any day! Condor

I had the same thought Condorfan!

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 04-11-2008 23:10 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

All ready voted,Tick but I guess the bad thing about living in the middle of no where, no one does cool deals like free coffee or sandwich.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 04-11-2008 23:12 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I voted by absentee ballot 2 weeks ago. It sure helps when you get all of those people calling you up and you can tell them that you already voted! Big Grin

No new posts 04-11-2008 23:22 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan
I went at 10:00 a.m. and didn't have to wait long at all. I wish I knew about the Starbucks thing. I still have my sticker--maybe they'll let me have some coffee!

Lol I agree and I'm sure Joe the Condor would be more interesting Big Grin

Somehow I managed to miss all those phone calls phonecall2 maybe since I'm close to D.C. I hear it everyday anyways... duel

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by shamrokchick on 04-11-2008 at 23:41.
No new posts 04-11-2008 23:38 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

I voted during my lunch today - around 1pm. The polls were busy, but no long lines - and my district had no line whatsoever. It took me longer to find the room where the voting was taking place then to actually place my vote!

I didn't hear about any free food or coffee around here either. But, then again, we weren't given any "I Voted!" stickers to prove we did....

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 05-11-2008 00:02 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

From the amount of media coverage we have had in the past year here Aussie.... I'm sending in my absentee vote from across the pond... Jackinbox

What Free food and coffee!!! I can see the Eagle and the Condor racing to the polling booths in birdstyle just so they don't miss out.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 05-11-2008 at 02:15.
No new posts 05-11-2008 02:14 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gunman
Banned

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 14-02-2008

spacer

GO DEMOCRATS!!!

No new posts 05-11-2008 02:17 Gunman is offline Search for Posts by Gunman Add Gunman to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori

I didn't hear about any free food or coffee around here either. But, then again, we weren't given any "I Voted!" stickers to prove we did....

I didn't have a sticker or anything to prove I'd voted, but the person at the Starbucks counter took my word for it.

I could use another coffee soon, really, if I'm going to stay up late enough to hear all the results!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 05-11-2008 at 02:21.
No new posts 05-11-2008 02:21 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori
I voted during my lunch today - around 1pm. The polls were busy, but no long lines - and my district had no line whatsoever. It took me longer to find the room where the voting was taking place then to actually place my vote!

The only thing I can say is that when my mom worked for the election in the past, she said they usually run out of stickers in the afternoon... I told her about the free food yesterday and she was like "You need to go early so you can get your sticker!"

No new posts 05-11-2008 02:33 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Gunman
GO DEMOCRATS!!!

Ahh!! Go Republicans!! Tongue

No new posts 05-11-2008 02:34 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm sending a complaint into the Australian federal Government about how the run the polling booths over here during Federal elections....

I have to PAY for my snag on a piece of bread $2 and $1 for a soda. RIPPED OFF!!!! Who cares if its the schools fund raiser and some poor mum and her kids have stand there all day cooking my sausage in the hot sun- too bad!!! I want my feebies!!!

(just jokes) Hat

P.S Congratulations Obama, knew you'd win.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 05-11-2008 at 09:14.
No new posts 05-11-2008 09:13 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

You know why they don't give you freebies for voting in Terra Australis, Ebony???

Because you don't have the CHOICE to vote or not vote, so they don't need to offer incentives ... Oh except not being fined, of course.

I got hit with that in '98.

I was in canada for two months (before I moved here). I was due to head home mid October to make it for the election in November. In September (when I was overseas) the PM decided to call an early election for early October. I didn't hear about it until Election day was done.

Thus, I didn't vote.

I got fined $50. Even though I had proof I was overseas at the time ... Apparently when you travel you are suppose to inform the electoral office or some shit ... It is considered a Criminal offense not to pay the fine.

Yeah .... CRIMINAL!

Democracy? Oh Hell no ...

Needless to say I removed myself from the electoral roll when I left Aussie ...

But off that ...

Obama won? Cool. Well done USA! Your first non-white President!! (Please tell me that isn't a racist remark -- it isn't meant to be)...

I still think Hilary would have been the better choice - I loved the Clintons!!

Slick Willy, I love you!

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SJ_SwanJun on 05-11-2008 at 10:27.
Reason: Must wear glasses ....
No new posts 05-11-2008 10:25 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by SJ_SwanJun
You know why they don't give you freebies for voting in Terra Australis, Ebony???

Because you don't have the CHOICE to vote or not vote, so they don't need to offer incentives ... Oh except not being fined, of course.

I was in canada for two months (before I moved here). I was due to head home mid October to make it for the election in November. In September (when I was overseas) the PM decided to call an early election for early October. I didn't hear about it until Election day was done.

Thus, I didn't vote.

I got fined $50. Even though I had proof I was overseas at the time ... Apparently when you travel you are suppose to inform the electoral office or some shit ... It is considered a Criminal offense not to pay the fine.

Yeah .... CRIMINAL!

But off that ...

Obama won? Cool. Well done USA! Your first non-white President!! (Please tell me that isn't a racist remark -- it isn't meant to be)...

Slick Willy, I love you!

SJ

Wow... I didn't know you get fined for not voting in Aussie...

P.S. I don't think you're being racist, it is a fact...

No new posts 05-11-2008 13:18 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I knew the voting was "mandatory" in Australia, but I didn't realize they were so strict about it!

My mother moved from the US to Canada in 1962, when she was 20 and, at that time, too young to vote in the US, but she didn't become a Canadian citizen until 1975, and then there wasn't an election for a couple years...

She was actually something like 36 years old the first time she voted!

No new posts 05-11-2008 13:52 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by SJ_SwanJun

Thus, I didn't vote.

Yeah .... CRIMINAL!

But off that ...

Slick Willy, I love you!

SJ

Wow, getting fined for not voting. If they had that here before this election they would have made a lot of money.

I agree with you SJ I would have preferred Hilary and Bill. Slick Willy was a lot of fun!

No new posts 05-11-2008 17:15 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

$50...another way for government to raise revenue for the pollies retirement packages....

when watching the news all the reporters were saying he's

Quote "America's first black president." How's that for Aussie reporting...

I bet they're all hanging out now for the first Aust. Aboriginal Prime minister....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 05-11-2008 at 20:38.
No new posts 05-11-2008 20:34 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: