Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Week of the Devilstars...
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Week of the Devilstars...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Week of the Devilstars... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

This is Devilstar Week! I don't have many images of the Devilstars, so I am hoping that everyone will contribute.

This is your chance to celebrate the blue-masked women of Onna Taicho. Devilstar

No new posts 27-10-2008 23:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well, I used this one recently, so it's handy!

No new posts 28-10-2008 00:17 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wait, I just remembered that I drew a devil star once...

I only wish I'd drawn Joe better in this one -I think I could do it better now.

No new posts 28-10-2008 00:25 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

You are welcome to redraw Joe...

No new posts 28-10-2008 01:23 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Good ol' Devil Stars, one of the many special squads within the Gallactor organization. I wrote about them in an article on those various groups for the 2005 GatchaCon fanzine. Here's what I said:

Devil Stars
(In Gatchaman episodes 31, 66, 78, and 81, the Gatchaman feature film, and Gatchaman II episodes 13, 16, and 38)

Gallactor's all-female assassination team, they are also known as the Lady Ninjas. The Devil Stars work under orders from either Berg Katse of the Lady Captain. They are used to eliminate people considered dangerous to Gallactor, or Gallactor members who betray the organization. They normally dress in jumpsuits with face masks and wigs, but if their mission requires that they work at night, they have been known to wear dark bodysuits and full-head masks. Their loyalty to Gallactor is absolute, and they will readily sacrifice their lives to complete their mission.

The Devil Stars are trained in infiltration and disguise, as well as in explosives and demolition. While they have training in martial arts and hand-to-hand combat, they usually rely on weapons during combat. They regularly carry knives and rifles, as well as Ring Bombs, small but powerful explosives that they carry on their hands like rings. These bombs can be thrown in rapid succession at targets. The weapons they are most noted for are their Rose Bombs, which look like ordinary roses, but have an explosive at the end of their stem. The Devil Stars usually throw these rose bombs at their targets like darts.

Despite their popularity among fans, the Devil Stars actually made very few appearances in the series. Only two of those times, in episode #'s 31 and 66, did they confront the Science Ninja Team. All their remaining appearances were relegated to flashbacks to the death of Joe's parents. Important, to be sure, but if it hadn't been for their connection to Joe, we'd have only seen them twice.

It's probably no great surprise, but they were not a concept that was originally planned for the series, though they did come along not too long after production started. Looking back to the series Planning Establishment, there is mention that the third episode of the series was to be "Dr. Nambu Assassination Plan," in which Nambu's home is destroyed.

When the series went into production, this story idea ended up as the 7th episode in the pipeline. In this scenario draft of the story, the Devil Stars are not referred to as such. Instead, they are referred to only as "Gallactor's beautiful ladies." The only descriptions the scenario has for them are that they are, "...five glamorous ladies wearing ultra-mini hot pants...," and that, "They are beautiful ladies with blond hair, red hair, chestnut hair, black hair, and silver hair."

In that story, the "beautiful ladies," led by the "Blond Lady Captain," made several attempts to kill Nambu, including blowing up his car with a rocket (Which killed a Nambu stand-in instead), trying twice to shoot him with a rifle from a tree outside his home (Killing another stand-in in the first attempt, and being caught by Ken and Jinpei in the second), and planting a powerful explosive inside of Nambu's cat, Elizabeth (The explosion of which destroys Nambu's villa). In the end, all of the beautiful ladies are killed by the Firebird when they attack the God Pheonix.

By the way, that scenario does include the Devil Star, but only as the name of a pair of different sized starfish-shaped mecha. The smaller vehicle, esentially the Devil Star vehicle we're used to seeing in the series, was called the Devil Star S. As a matter of fact, if you look at the model sheets for the Devil Star, you'll notice that they are all labeled "Devil Star S."

In the scenario, the Devil Star S had a much, much larger cousin, described as a "gigantic starfish saucer," called the Devil Star K. The Devil Star K was supposed to be large enough to hold 9 of the Devil Star S, which is what the beautiful ladies were to have used in their fatal attack on the God Phoenix.

As originally intended, the story was interesting, filled with a lot of action, but would have become simply another action story without the depth that came to it later. And using Nambu's cat as the delivery system for an explosive was, in a word, icky.

Obviously the Tatsunoko staff felt the story needed some changes as well, since it got pushed back far enough to become the 31st episode of the series. In the meantime, the notion that Joe's parents had been killed by Gallactor had been added to the mix (Thanks to Joe mentioning this in episode #18), and they obviously decided to expand upon that throwaway line, giving us the connection between Joe and the Devil Stars. The story for episode #31 became much stronger because of it.

James

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 28-04-2009 at 01:22.
No new posts 28-10-2008 02:11 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Thanks James as always for you're great info! Bowdown 2

No new posts 28-10-2008 03:00 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Wow, James! That was very interesting! As always, I learn so much from you! Thanks so much!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 28-10-2008 09:13 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Heehee, feels like a week for me Big Grin

Wonder if this image link will work?

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 28-10-2008 10:38 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Welcome back Meridian!
You return at an appropriate time, as you can see.

No new posts 28-10-2008 12:22 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Ladygalactor777 Ladygalactor777 is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by meridianday
Heehee, feels like a week for me Big Grin

Wonder if this image link will work?

My goons are going to be so happy....

No new posts 28-10-2008 12:22 Ladygalactor777 is offline Send an Email to Ladygalactor777 Search for Posts by Ladygalactor777 Add Ladygalactor777 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the information, James, and I too am glad they dropped the exploding cat idea!

Episode 31 is one of the few BOTP episodes that I clearly remember watching in the 70s (though now I realize that many of the best parts had been cut out!) -this was no doubt due to Jason's large role, but also to the fact that the devil stars were so interesting to me.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 28-10-2008 at 14:48.
No new posts 28-10-2008 12:37 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

James, thank you for all of the wonderfuk information. Episode 31 is one of my favourites, and it is great to see the background behind it.

I am guessing the idea of a cat blowing up Nambu's home would be related to 'Katse'? Just a guess...

One thing... I don't recall seeing any Devilstars in Gatchaman II, unless you mean the same flashbacks of Joe's parents dying? Can you explain more about how they appreared in that series?

Meridian, that is a fabulous picture!!!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 28-10-2008 at 14:00.
No new posts 28-10-2008 14:00 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
One thing... I don't recall seeing any Devilstars in Gatchaman II, unless you mean the same flashbacks of Joe's parents dying? Can you explain more about how they appreared in that series?

As I said, "All their remaining appearances were relegated to flashbacks to the death of Joe's parents." When they were seen in Gatchaman II, it was when they used the 1st series footage from the death of Joe's parents in flashbacks. The only exception to that "Joe's parent's death" rule was the flashback to the death of Devil Star 2 in episode #81.

The only time the Devil Stars did anything in the present was in episode #'s 31 and 66.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 28-10-2008 at 14:40.
No new posts 28-10-2008 14:35 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you for all that information James, most informative.

nunchukas

No new posts 28-10-2008 14:47 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Excellent picture meridianday!!

No new posts 28-10-2008 17:36 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

Meesa with gun!

No new posts 28-10-2008 22:02 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

Great info again, James! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Meridian and Amy - fabulous pics! You're both so talented at drawing "Galactor's Beautiful Ladies"!

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 28-10-2008 22:38 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the clarification, James!

ITA, Meridian and AMy have drawn great devilstars!

No new posts 28-10-2008 22:43 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Great job Amy with the Devil Star! Your artistic talents are really coming together.

No new posts 28-10-2008 23:17 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amyltrer
Meesa with gun!

That's a serious gun -I don't think the Condor will pin that to you with a shuriken!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 28-10-2008 at 23:40.
No new posts 28-10-2008 23:40 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: