Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » The Eagle Riders have arrived!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Eagle Riders have arrived!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori
I'm not responsible for any corruption this may encourage!!!) Inverted1

Isn't that the motto of this board? Wink

If it isn't it should be! TJ you've done a great job on ER as per your usual standard of excellence! I love how you worked the humor in.

There's a question that has been puzzling me. Why wasn't ER released as further adventures of BOTP or G-Force? People would have certainly been more familiar with either of those shows.

BTW Welcome back Amy!

No new posts 23-10-2008 23:31 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan
There's a question that has been puzzling me. Why wasn't ER released as further adventures of BOTP or G-Force? People would have certainly been more familiar with either of those shows.

I'm sure James could give you a better answer, but I'll take a stab in the dark at this one.

Eagle Riders was done by Saban. BOTP was still owned by Sandy Frank at the time, and G-Force by someone else. (I'm fuzzy on who owned G-Force and I think Sandy Frank was somehow involved in there too...)

So my guess is, they simply didn't have the rights to use BOTP or G-Force names. Also, they would have had to explain how/why Joe/Jason/Dirk was 'missing' at the beginning of the series.

No new posts 24-10-2008 01:21 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Eagle Riders was done by Saban. BOTP was still owned by Sandy Frank at the time, and G-Force by someone else. (I'm fuzzy on who owned G-Force and I think Sandy Frank was somehow involved in there too...)

That, pretty much, is the answer. The rights for BotP, G-Force, and all related characters were held by Sandy Frank (As the rightsholder for Gatchaman outside of Japan, Sandy Frank always had a hand in the rights for G-Force, but his direct involvement in the series initially was pretty much limited to getting a share of any merchandising, the option to sell the series outside of the U.S., and the ability to sell the series to home video domestically. Domestic TV distribution and merchandising rights (Outside of Sandy Frank's cut) were first held by Turner Program Services, but by the early 1990s they had sold them to the Hearst Corporation. By the mid-1990s, Hearst's rights for the show expired, and all domestic rights reverted to Sandy Frank. Sandy Frank has held all rights to G-Force and its characters ever since).

For Saban to have advertised the show as the "further adventures of BOTP or G-Force," or to have used any of the character names involved with either of those two shows, they would have had to license them from Sandy Frank. Not wanting to do this, Saban simply ignored that BotP and G-Force ever existed.

James

No new posts 24-10-2008 03:59 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Yikes, now I'm actually imagining Gatch II, given the "BOTP conversion." Yes, they would have had to explain why Jason was missing in the first few episodes (Quit the team in a fit of "hot-headed" pique after ep. 85, and then went missing?)

I guess they could have said that Gel Sadra was actually Mala, having ousted her brother from power on Spectra in a coup, and now wearing a new, masked uniform.

It could have been explained that Zark had requested a transfer to Pluto, to be with Susan, and his duties were being taken over by the new God Phoenix's robot autopilot.

Laugh2 So many possibilities!

No new posts 24-10-2008 12:51 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Yikes, now I'm actually imagining Gatch II, given the "BOTP conversion." Yes, they would have had to explain why Jason was missing in the first few episodes (Quit the team in a fit of "hot-headed" pique after ep. 85, and then went missing?)

I guess they could have said that Gel Sadra was actually Mala, having ousted her brother from power on Spectra in a coup, and now wearing a new, masked uniform.

It could have been explained that Zark had requested a transfer to Pluto, to be with Susan, and his duties were being taken over by the new God Phoenix's robot autopilot.

Oh, LB, you're scaring me! It all fits so well!

I think that the robot piloting the new Phoenix would actually be 8-Zark-8 (or perhaps 9-Zark-9). Just think ! Zark's child/grandchild would be living out his predecessor's dream to actually go on missions with the G-Force team! ROFL 2

I wonder if there would have to be a Ready Room in Gateway City? Or would it be 'Center Poseidon'? Would they bring over the old ping pong table? Big Grin

No new posts 24-10-2008 13:35 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

quote:
quote:

I think that the robot piloting the new Phoenix would actually be 8-Zark-8 (or perhaps 9-Zark-9). Just think ! Zark's child/grandchild would be living out his predecessor's dream to actually go on missions with the G-Force team! ROFL 2

I wonder if there would have to be a Ready Room in Gateway City? Or would it be 'Center Poseidon'? Would they bring over the old ping pong table? Big Grin

Oh god, not more zarks! Scary

No new posts 24-10-2008 13:45 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

You know, I was also thinking... what about Pandora? If she's Mala's mother, then she's also Zoltar's mother... is she really a Spectran defector? Or maybe just an Earth Scientist who interacted with Mala and developed a psychic connection with her...

No new posts 24-10-2008 14:02 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

quote:
quote:

They have Jun's Snack for that! Of course with Zark huffing around saying : Kids, the beverages they drink are carrot juice with lot of vitamins bla bla bla....

And the Luminous one decided to have a new look!

No new posts 24-10-2008 15:54 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
You know, I was also thinking... what about Pandora? If she's Mala's mother, then she's also Zoltar's mother... is she really a Spectran defector? Or maybe just an Earth Scientist who interacted with Mala and developed a psychic connection with her...

Hmm, maybe as Mala's half Spectran/half Earthling sister? That would explain why Dr. Pandora looks the same age as Mala.

No new posts 24-10-2008 16:29 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Not bad, LB... I think we should try and get the rights from Sandy Frank to do this.... ROFL 2

No new posts 24-10-2008 19:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I've got it now -it can be written into the storyline that it's an age-old Spectran tradition to have a sibling as a junior co-ruler, which is what Mala was to Zoltar. Now that she's ousted him and seized power for herself, she needs to track down and recruit her long-lost half sister on Earth, in order to both satisfy the Luminous One, and cement her rule over the Spectrans. And, um, let's see, it can be said that Spectran siblings can communicate telepathically, but because Dr. Pandora is only half-Spectran, the link is there but it's weaker.

I'm thinking about this way too much!

quote:
Not bad, LB... I think we should try and get the rights from Sandy Frank to do this.... ROFL 2

It could be fun to a fic that involved re-writing a Gatch II episode to be a "BOTP II" episode... No, wait -I have to finish my current fic first! Laugh2

No new posts 24-10-2008 21:34 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh LB... you may have something there... must not think about it... too involved in current fic....

No new posts 24-10-2008 22:04 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

Keep going, girls!!! cinema

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 24-10-2008 22:17 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Okay, okay!

It's in my Fic Ideas file.

No new posts 24-10-2008 22:38 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

How long is that file now TJ?
What is it, take one off the top and add 5 more to the bottom?

No new posts 24-10-2008 22:48 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
trideegurl2 trideegurl2 is a Female
Honoured Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2008

spacer

you are my hero

Car

No new posts 24-10-2008 23:06 trideegurl2 is offline Send an Email to trideegurl2 Search for Posts by trideegurl2 Add trideegurl2 to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

quote:

That, pretty much, is the answer. The rights for BotP, G-Force, and all related characters were held by Sandy Frank (As the rightsholder for Gatchaman outside of Japan, Sandy Frank always had a hand in the rights for G-Force, but his direct involvement in the series initially was pretty much limited to getting a share of any merchandising, the option to sell the series outside of the U.S., and the ability to sell the series to home video domestically. Domestic TV distribution and merchandising rights (Outside of Sandy Frank's cut) were first held by Turner Program Services, but by the early 1990s they had sold them to the Hearst Corporation. By the mid-1990s, Hearst's rights for the show expired, and all domestic rights reverted to Sandy Frank. Sandy Frank has held all rights to G-Force and its characters ever since).

For Saban to have advertised the show as the "further adventures of BOTP or G-Force," or to have used any of the character names involved with either of those two shows, they would have had to license them from Sandy Frank. Not wanting to do this, Saban simply ignored that BotP and G-Force ever existed.

James

Thanks for the help James and TJ! Who owns BOTP now? I thought Sandy Frank's rights had expired a few years ago.

No new posts 25-10-2008 00:11 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer

You know, maybe I will actually get to it first... Laugh1

No new posts 25-10-2008 00:40 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Who owns BOTP now? I thought Sandy Frank's rights had expired a few years ago.

Sandy Frank still owns Battle of the Planets, lock, stock, an barrel. The name, the charcters, and anything that was added to the show when it was brought to the U.S. are Sandy Frank creations and belong to him. The same holds true for G-Force.

What you're thinking about are the rights to Gatchaman. From what I heard last, which was from just a couple of months ago, Sandy Frank was still in negotiations with Tatsunoko to get an extension on his contract for the non-Japanese rights to the series.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 25-10-2008 at 03:24.
No new posts 25-10-2008 00:51 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer

Something like that... I get ideas faster than I can write the stories. But at least I know that if the ideas ever dry up, I will have a source!

No new posts 25-10-2008 00:56 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: