Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Hooray for the God Phoenix!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hooray for the God Phoenix!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Hooray for the God Phoenix! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The good old blue and red, it's the original God Phoenix! This is our week to pay tribute to the classic Kagaku Ninjatai ship.

With that in mind, here are some of my Gatchafunnies:

Plus a shot of the God Phoenix from the teaser trailer for the new movie:

Everyone knows that most of my screenshots are ER (Gatch II and F) so let's see some original God Phoenixes!!

No new posts 21-10-2008 20:51 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The original Phoenix will always be my favourite. No matter how hi-tech the more recent shows may make it, the original is still the best.

Yayyyyyyyy Phoenix!!

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 21-10-2008 21:02 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Original God Phoenix...

Okay!

One from the original series
One from Gatch II

No new posts 21-10-2008 21:23 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Yes, it was the best, even if it looked like a brick.

Plenty of High performance RL planes are plug ugly too

No new posts 21-10-2008 21:49 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Ahh, the God Phoenix. The best of the best among the Gatchaman mecha. I know some people think the OAV version is wonderful, but I'll take the original one anytime. For a long, long time, I dreamed of getting an original cel of that ship, a goal I finally achieved a few years back.

I think that a lot of the success of that ship comes from the simple elegance of the design. It has enough linework to look cool, but not so much that it looks overblown. It works, and it works well.

As first conceived, the "Phoenix" in the series was not going to be just a ship, but the name of an organization as well. In one of the earliest known pieces of planning for the series, back when it was called "Science Ninja Squad Number 5," the Science Ninja Squad worked for the Phoenix Headquarters, a group who worked for world peace. The organization worked out of a saucer-shaped submarine that was also named "Phoenix," which acted similar to both Crescent Coral Reef and the God Phoenix in the TV series. This disc-shaped Phoenix could operate both underwater and fly in the sky, and acted as a mobile base-of-operations for the Science Ninja Squad. The Phoenix would have housed the best in technology, and would have supplied the Science Ninja Squad with the equipment they needed to complete their missions.

Obviously, this changed as the planning progressed, giving birth to the God Phoenix we are familiar with today. The final Planning Establishment for the series didn't have many references to the God Phoenix directly, except in a section describing the mecha used by the Science Ninja Team. In it, the God Pheonix was described as follows:

"God Phoenix" (United Mecha)

The united G-1 ~ G-5

(Performance)

It jointly utilizes the engines of the G-1 ~ G-5
Maximum Speed: Mach 5.0

(Function)

It is capable of submerging.

(Weapons)

Installed with Bird Missiles (It will not set without the wiring of the G-1 ~ G-5).
It has Dr. Nambu's seal, and cannot be fired without the Doctor's permission.

Additionally:

Pushing the Transformation Generator UP can cause the ship to momentarily disappear.

Furthermore, when the Generator is UP in the Red Zone, a powerful blaze (The shape of the Firebird) is born. This is one of the processes the Science Ninja Team uses to save themselves from predicaments. But, this cannot be produced without them enduring a fair amount of pain.

The command to call this forth is "Science Ninja Technique Firebird!"

During the course of the series, we do learn some details regarding the ship. The Mach 5.0 maximum speed is confirmed (#75), though all five Ninja Team vehicles need to be united for the ship to reach this speed (#52). The ship can reach a top altitude of 3,000KM (1864 miles), and can operate in space (#9). The ship can withstand ocean depths up to 2,000 meters (1.24 miles) (#78), and heat up to 3,000 degrees Centigrade (5,432 degrees Fahrenheit) (#22).

It's main offensive capabilities come from the Science Ninpo Firebird (#1) and the Bird Missiles (First shown in #4, though first mentioned in #1). When the God Pheonix was destroyed and rebuilt, the Bird Missiles were replaced with Super Bird Missiles (#67). While the ship originally carried a large supply of Bird Missiles (#5), it only carried two Super Bird Missiles (#67).

Other equipment on board the ship included a Geiger Counter (#2), Fog Lamps (#5), an Electronics Radar (#14), and Sonar (#55). The main screen in the Control Room has a filter for infrared rays (#2), a Super-Telephoto Lens (#14), and a filter to detect radioactivity (#68).

At various other times, the God Phoenix has been shown to carry scuba equipment (#2), a Light Collection Dish (#10), a Sound Collection Dish (#41), and a Mini Submarine (#55).

The interior of the God Phoenix has room to hold 200 people (#42). Maybe they had to take the Mini Submarine out to make the room...

To give credit where it's due, the design for the God Phoenix created by Mitsuki Nakamura, who did all the main mecha designs for the original Gatchaman. He would later be joined by Kunio Okawara, and the two shared mecha design duties on the series until episode #44, when Okawara took over entirely. Nakamura was also the Art Director for Gatchaman, a role he held through the series run.

Anyway, that ought to tell you a few things about the God Phoenix!

James

No new posts 21-10-2008 23:38 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Ladygalactor777 Ladygalactor777 is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-08-2008

spacer

Also the God phoenix is a hovercraft I did this one long time ago...definetly the God phoenix its a very versatile craft

[IMG]
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/579/68097356vb7.png[/IMG]

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ladygalactor777 on 21-10-2008 at 23:39.
No new posts 21-10-2008 23:39 Ladygalactor777 is offline Send an Email to Ladygalactor777 Search for Posts by Ladygalactor777 Add Ladygalactor777 to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Here are some nice renderings from Deviant Art...

KernBrit's version (Our very own Ste)

Inspector 97's version (Our very own Thunder Bird)

Bink's version

And some great pics with the GP in the background...

Bdy's version (Buddy Paraiso)

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 22-10-2008 at 10:01.
No new posts 21-10-2008 23:46 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Pssssst. Springie, that last one is actually the New God Phoenix (a.k..a Chicken Ship).... Wink

Thanks for the information, James! I was just writing about episode number 5, and I counted the Bird Missiles. There were 30 onboard in that ep. That's a lot of BMs! Especially if you consider that they only had 2 Super BMs when they rebuilt it.

And of course, who can forget that in BOTP the Phoenix had a sickbay where the 'not dead' astronauts were housed...

Another thing... presumably the God Phoenix had a bathroom somewhere... right? Wink

No new posts 22-10-2008 01:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun

Another thing... presumably the God Phoenix had a bathroom somewhere... right? Wink

presumably it is located near the sickbay so the team can clean up after they are "sick" Evil3

No new posts 22-10-2008 01:56 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
There were 30 onboard in that ep.

Actually, the number of available Bird Missiles in that episode can vary widely depending on how you wish to count things. The absolute minimum number of missiles launched is 18. This is calculated by the number of times we see Joe push the launch button/hear the button launch sound effect from inside the God Phoenix Control Room (4 against the fog machine, 10 against the battleships, and 4 against the saucers).

On the opposite extreme, there could be 39 Bird Missiles on board. This is calculated by counting every time we see/hear the launch button being pressed, counting every missile we see launching, and counting every missile we see in the air as though none are showing the same event twice (11 against the fog machine, 22 against the battleships, and 16 against the saucers).

This does not include the possibility that Joe was continuing to fire missiles during the scenes where all we saw were ships exploding, in which case the number could jump up to somewhere around 70 Bird Missiles.

So, because of the gray area involved in determining exactly how many missiles there might actually be, I'll stick with "...a large supply..."

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 22-10-2008 at 02:16.
No new posts 22-10-2008 02:11 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
So, because of the gray area involved in determining exactly how many missiles there might actually be, I'll stick with "...a large supply..."

Fair enough. But since I need a number for my fic, I'll go with my count of 30. Wink 70 though... that was quite the binge Joe went on if it was really that many... Wink

No new posts 22-10-2008 02:56 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Model God Pheonix:

Gold God Phoenix he he..

No new posts 22-10-2008 03:36 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Now, if only we could find the gold-plated Hallmark Keepsake God Phoenix ornament to decorate our trees at Christmas... Wink

No new posts 22-10-2008 03:44 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Pssssst. Springie, that last one is actually the New God Phoenix (a.k..a Chicken Ship).... Wink

Oops! You're right! I didn't notice since we were looking at the underside! That's what i get for posting in a hurry!

pound

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 22-10-2008 10:01 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

Oooo...a GP for the tree! I'd love that! Bounce2

No new posts 22-10-2008 10:04 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
RE: Hooray for the God Phoenix! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
The good old blue and red, it's the original God Phoenix! This is our week to pay tribute to the classic Kagaku Ninjatai ship.

With that in mind, here are some of my Gatchafunnies:

I love those 2 pics TJ. I can just imagine the Swallow seeing one outside a supermarket and jumping in, putting coins in and imagine that hie's actually flying the Phoenix.

Plus a shot of the God Phoenix from the teaser trailer for the new movie:

quote:
[i] 

Everyone knows that most of my screenshots are ER (Gatch II and F) so let's see some original God Phoenixes!!

Looks alright but I need to see more of it and see it in action before deciding whether it's as good as the original.

No new posts 22-10-2008 15:02 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

You actually never see them go at all do you?

They would have needed one and presuming some quarters with clean numbered T-shirts in BOTP since they have to travel to other planets and galaxies?

No new posts 22-10-2008 15:04 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by shamrokchick
Model God Pheonix:

Gold God Phoenix he he..

I hope our other Owl member, Fury has finsihed with his GP and test flown it alright?

I can remember the gold painted GP in that episode. It was to protect the ship from some kind of mech.

No new posts 22-10-2008 15:06 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan

I think that a lot of the success of that ship comes from the simple elegance of the design. It has enough linework to look cool, but not so much that it looks overblown. It works, and it works well.

I agree, that the original God Phoenix was the best design. It's a shame they decided to change it.

Who was responsible for the design of the Gatch F ship? Sceptic

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 22-10-2008 at 15:24.
No new posts 22-10-2008 15:23 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Who was responsible for the design of the Gatch F ship? Sceptic

Hold your horses! We'll have Gatchaspartan week soon.... Wink

No new posts 22-10-2008 15:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: