Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Here's to Dr. Pandora!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Here's to Dr. Pandora!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

James has been reading up on Pandora the past two days. He's putting together some info on her, but it's been kind of slow going--not much free time. Anyway, I thought I'd let folks know that there will be more info to come! Smile

No new posts 17-09-2008 05:12 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
saturn saturn is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 21-05-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thank you for sharing those great pics, Springie, and am looking forward to your own depiction of Pandora.

quote:
Originally posted by Barrdwing
James has been reading up on Pandora the past two days. He's putting together some info on her, but it's been kind of slow going--not much free time. Anyway, I thought I'd let folks know that there will be more info to come! Smile

Will be patiently waiting for the info, Barrdwing. After all, good things come slow sometimes. Any info from James is definitely worth the wait. Smile

No new posts 17-09-2008 08:16 saturn is offline Send an Email to saturn Search for Posts by saturn Add saturn to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:

Thanks for letting us know. I look forward to reading it!

No new posts 17-09-2008 12:56 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Thanks Barrdwing I look forward to reading James's info too

No new posts 17-09-2008 14:11 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:

I look forward to reading what ever information you come up with James. Even if it is only a little bit more information I know it will be more than I know now.

No new posts 17-09-2008 15:22 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:

Whoo hoo! Go James! And thanks Barrdwig for the update! woohoo

No new posts 17-09-2008 16:59 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Springie... thanks for posting those drawings... the last one is my favorite, and seeing the Condor about to smack Pandoras head off makes it even better!

Barrdwing... I too look forward to reading any updates that James can provide us! Bonkers1

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 17-09-2008 22:39 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Fantastic James!!

You know there's a gypsy that Joe has an encounter with in Gatch 2. She looks a little like Pandora. But she's pretty, and I think She fell for the Condor...and dies of course! She was after all a Condor girl...

No new posts 17-09-2008 23:19 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I was kinda thinking that could have been me Ebony, that is until she died! parachute

No new posts 19-09-2008 19:55 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Well, as Heather mentioned, things have been a bit busy lately, but I finally had a little time to spare to delve into Dr. Pandora.

Dr. Pandora is definitely a more difficult character to get detailed information on. As was speculated earlier in this thread, Pandora was not a character who was created for the series when it began, but was one that was added as the series was in production. For a major character like her, this is quite unusual, but there's a reason for it.

You see, when Gatchaman II was first being plotted out, it was only intended to run for 26 episodes. Then, when the series was being broadcast, it had the good fortune of being a winner in the ratings, making Fuji TV happy, and the Gatchaman II merchandise sold well, making the sponsors happy. As a result, it was decided to extend the run of the series, which I would assume made Tatsunoko happy.

This extension did present a problem, though. The sequence of events planned for a 26 episode series didn't necessarily provide enough material for a good 52 episode series. So, the studio took another look at things and made some modifications to rectify this situation. One of those modifications was the addition of a new character, Dr. Pandora.

Along with her creation, they also added the element of Pandora's connection to Gel Sadra. As originally conceived, Gel Sadra wouldn't have ever had any contact with her past life. By making Pandora her mother, something known to the staff but wasn't revealed until episode #50 of the series, this allowed them to add an element of mystery through the mental connection felt between Pandora and Sadra whenever they were in close proximity to each other. Though, to be honest, this element is ignored for quite a while after Pandora's first appearance in episode #26. The next time it comes into play is in episode #38. One possible explanation for this may be that the episodes between those two points were almost all written by Yu Yamamoto and Hirohisa Soda. While these gentlemen were certainly talented enough, the majority of the "key" episodes of the series were written by Jinzo Toriumi and Satoshi Suyama, who had previously done the same for the first Gatchaman series. These two gentlemen wrote all but two of the episodes from episode #38 (With the return of Pandora's link to Sadra) through the end of the series (For those who care, the two episode they didn't write were #39, written by Yu Yamamoto, and Pandora's farewell in #50, written by another first series writing veteran, Akiyoshi Sakai).

Along with the changes involved by adding Pandora to the mix, the series also needed to tie up some loose ends that were hanging around from the earlier planning, but were no longer needed with the new direction they were taking the story. The most obvious one of these was the entire "Joe, the Secret Cyborg" storyline. As originally intended, Jun would have been the first to uncover Joe's secret (Revealing the truth to viewers at the same time). This would likely have happened with the events of episode #16, had the direction for the series not been undergoing some changes. While Jun would have kept Joe's secret, Dr. Raphael would have later revealed the truth to everyone else, just before the build-up to the series conclusion. So, the studio took the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone by introducing Pandora into the series and having her reveal to everyone that Joe was a cyborg.

I know some people don't care for her revealing Joe's secret, but going strictly from the Japanese version, it's obvious that this was done without malice. For Pandora, it was simply commenting on something that was so painfully obvious that she wouldn't have thought that the others were unaware of it. It would be like you or I making a comment about the sky being blue and only then discovering that the people you were speaking to had never noticed this detail. So, I wouldn't be too hard on her about it. Besides, she was just being used as a means to an end desired by the writers.

As for what information we have regarding her, the show itself doesn't provide a whole lot. We know from what Dr. Nambu says when she's introduced that she has knowledge in a variety of sciences, with a specialty in robotics and cybernetics (Episode #26). She used these skills to create such devices as the Shin-Radar (Which, in Japanese, would be phonetically transliterated into "shinreda," and is a combination of the words "shinrei," meaning spirit or soul, and "reda," which is the Japanese pronunciation of the English word "radar"), which allowed people to use mental power to create energy beings from their imaginations (Episode #27), and the Brainwave Deciphering System, which allowed humans to communicate with animals (Episode #40).

She had a deep concern regarding the strange mental flashes she experienced with Gel Sadra, allowing both to know where the other was and what they were doing (Episode #'s 26, 38, 42, 48). It is this concern that led to her insisting on accompanying Joe when he went to Dragon Island (#38), and to her sneaking alone into the observatory owned by Richman III (Episode #42).

Prior to her appearance on the series, she was married to Domenico Pandora, a robotics technician for the I.S.O.. The couple had a 3-year-old daughter, Sami. Roughly six months before her first appearance, she and her family were on the cruise ship that was sank by Governor X when he returned to Earth, killing Domenico. Dr. Pandora had thought that Sami had perished as well, but as she found out on the one year anniversary of the sinking of the ship, Sami had survived and been changed by Governor X into Gel Sadra. Governor X hoped to use the bond between mother and daughter to sway Dr. Pandora to Gallactor's side. When this didn't work, X had her executed (Episode #50). It was during this same episode that we found out that Dr. Pandora's first name was Silvie.

When Dr. Pandora was first introduced, her addition to the series was mentioned as part of articles on Gatchaman II in both the Tatsunoko-produced Tatsunoko Fan Club News and an article in the May, 1979 issue of Animage.

The Tatsunoko Fan Club News write-up included a few stats for her that never appeared elsewhere. According to what they printed there, she is approximately 21~23 years of age. She is 168cm tall (5', 6"), and weighs 47kg (104 lbs). Her measurements are Bust: 88cm (34 3/4"), Waist: 58cm (22 3/4"), and Hips: 92cm (35 1/4").

The Animage article featured the following comment from Gatchaman II's Chief Director, Hiroshi Sasagawa:

"The original idea for Dr. Pandora, when Part II was announced, a fan in Osaka asked if Dr. Nambu could be given a private secretary. And, rather than simply putting her in, she will be given an important role, even though she appears after two segments have passed.

For the establishment of Dr. Pandora, she is a woman with vast knowledge, including speaking many languages, physics, chemistry, as well as medicine and robotic engineering, and even literature and history. She is even supposed to possess extrasensory perception. Her name is taken from one of the foremost female names in Greek mythology. Concerning her face and style, it was decided upon by the entire staff. (Laughs)"

The reference to "two segments" having passed is in reference to the production of the series being broken into segments that ran roughly 13 episodes each. Dr. Pandora's appearance in episode #26 (And the end of the Secret Cyborg Joe storyline) marked the beginning of the third segment in the production run.

It is thought that the unnamed fan who suggested a private secretary for Nambu was the President of the now-defunct Osaka-based Dr. Nambu Fan Club.

That same Animage article also included two images of Dr. Pandora. One of these was an early design image of Pandora wearing the outfit she eventually wore in episode #42, only colored in shades of pink instead of the black and purple it was colored in #42.

By the way, you might be interested to know that Miyuki Ueda, the actress who provided the voice for Dr. Pandora, is now married to Isao Sasaki, the voice of Joe, the Condor. The two first met when Ms. Ueda was a guest actress on Gatchaman II, playing Cathy in Gatchaman II #13, and married on February 1, 1981.

I hope this helps!

James

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 19-09-2008 at 22:02.
No new posts 19-09-2008 21:57 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Wow.

So Dr. Pandora was a later addition to the series, when changes were made to extend the storyline.

Jun was originally intended to know Joe's secret before any of the others.

All these scientific accomplishments and yet Dr. Pandora is no more than 23.

And so much else that's here -Thank you, James !!!

I just can't get over the fact that "Joe" really did end up happy with "Kathy" of ep. 13 ! Laugh2
(or at least as represented by the actors)

No new posts 19-09-2008 22:11 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Animekiss I can just hear it now...Mr. Sasaki sees Ms. Ueada walking down the aisle, gets all misty eyed, and shouts, "KASHIIII!" One more time just for Old Time's sake...LOL (For those of you who haven't heard him in the infamous "Cathy" episode, it sounds like he is wailing, "KASHIII!" in that deep voice of his...) TJ, CD and I were cracking up at it this summer...poor Joe...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 19-09-2008 22:30 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Oh, and the KASHIII remark side tracked me...James, that information was impeccable as usual...didn't we say something about posting all of your GURU posts somewhere here? Like in some type of information thread, or something?

Cep, was I dreaming?

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 19-09-2008 22:32 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Thank you for all this information James.
This really provides some great information that I had never heard before. You truly are amazing.

No new posts 19-09-2008 23:23 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Wow, James, that is incredible! Thank you for all of the time you spent putting this together. It is especially interesting to know what the writers were doing, and how they intended the storyline to progress. One thing I really enjoy about Gatchaman II is the progressing storyline, and I appreciate the insight into how that was developed.

As for Pandora... wow, only 21-23 years old? Awfully young for a PhD, but I guess she's just brilliant. Wink

No new posts 20-09-2008 01:43 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
saturn saturn is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 21-05-2008

spacer

James,

Thank you so much for spending some time to research on Dr. Pandora, and as usual, all of your information are second to none. Great job! thumbsup2

Really think that you should consider to write the Gatchaman lexicon, there should be many other Gatchaman fans who would love to read all of the information that you have provided to us here all this time.

No new posts 20-09-2008 13:46 saturn is offline Send an Email to saturn Search for Posts by saturn Add saturn to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Wow, James thanks for all your great information, especially since I've never seen Dr. Pandora before...

No new posts 20-09-2008 18:16 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

The bit about Jun finding out Joe's secret is interesting--she must have put that together in the episode where they couldn't do the Firebird and Joe uses his body as a conduit. She find out the wires couldn't have met without someone holding them.

Once again, thank you James!

No new posts 21-09-2008 01:05 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks James for providing all of this interesting information.

The idea of Pandora really hooking up with Joe has me Laugh2 .

No new posts 21-09-2008 17:03 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchgirl
The idea of Pandora really hooking up with Joe has me Laugh2 .

I'm still pound at Springie's description of the bride coming down the aisle and the groom yelling out 'Kaaaassssshhhhhheeeeeeee'! ROFL 2

No new posts 21-09-2008 17:26 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: