Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Merchandise, old & new » Jun Polyresin Figurine
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jun Polyresin Figurine
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Jun Polyresin Figurine Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

A new, and not inexpensive, Gatchaman item has been announced -- a polyresin figure statue of Jun! Produced as a limited edition of 300 pieces by a company named R.A.W.S. (Which stands for "Real ArtWork Series).

The figure shows Jun's head, torso, and legs to just above her knees, and is mounted on top of a base designed to look like her Yo-yo. The Yo-yo is then mounted on top of a black cube-like base with silver plates bearing the Gatchaman name and a serial number. All told, the figurine will measure 28cm tall x 9.7cm wide x 9.7cm deep.

As I mentioned, the figurine is not cheap. She retails for 14,800 yen (15,540 yen, after taxes), roughly $137.00, so be prepared to dig deep if you want one.

The figurine is scheduled for a late-November/early-December release, but preorders are being taken now for her. If you have a favorite Japanese hobby store to order things like this from, you might wish to check with them about her. From a quick check, I've found that she can be preordered through both CD Japan and Hobbylink Japan, which can be found at:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/index.html

and:

http://www.hlj.com/

I have dealt with both in the past, and can verify that they are both trustworthy retailers. CD Japan has a preorder deadline of September 25th, but I do not know for how long Hobbylink Japan will accept them. I wouldn't dawdle if you really want one of these.

Anyway, I just figured you'd want to know!

James

No new posts 10-09-2008 22:00 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

Here are some pictures of the figurine.

Enjoy!

James

No new posts 10-09-2008 22:14 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

OOOooo...that is very cool, James! Thanks for sharing it with us...they really paid attention to detail on this piece, and I like that she isn't wearing her helmet!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 10-09-2008 22:18 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

It is well made! The attention to detail is awesome. I love the way they have done her face. She looks so beautiful.

If I had the money for one at the moment I would buy one. Unfortunately I have to save my pennies for some RL things that out weight it....what a shame.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 10-09-2008 at 22:29.
No new posts 10-09-2008 22:27 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

That looks fantastic! I wish they'd done the whole body though. It looks weird, cut off as it is.

No new posts 10-09-2008 22:46 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

This is great James. Thank you for posting.
I love the pose and the detail they put into this.
Any idea if they intend to do any of the other characters?

No new posts 11-09-2008 00:16 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Any idea if they intend to do any of the other characters?

At this point, Jun is the only Gatchaman character they've announced. Most of what the company has on their website are one-shot items, which doesn't bode well for them producing the other characters, but also doesn't mean they won't. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

James

No new posts 11-09-2008 00:55 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

It looks very well done and detailed, although I don't recall her dress being quite that clingy. Smirk

No new posts 11-09-2008 02:35 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Thanks for sharing the information James.... the detail etc, are really great!

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 11-09-2008 02:59 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
It looks very well done and detailed, although I don't recall her dress being quite that clingy. Smirk

Just imagine the guys' Birdstyles being that clingy.... Big Grin

No new posts 11-09-2008 13:37 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun

Just imagine the guys' Birdstyles being that clingy.... Big Grin

Oh I can imagine that!

If they do a Joe figurine, they cannot cut his legs off too -that would just be so wrong!

No new posts 11-09-2008 14:26 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Ummm... Should I mention that the guys are already wearing skin-tight uniforms, so "clingy" is not really an issue there...

quote:
If they do a Joe figurine, they cannot cut his legs off too -that would just be so wrong!

Actually, Bandai has already done something like that with Joe, though on a much smaller and less expensive scale. Back in early 2005, they released a series of vending machine toys of Tatsunoko characters. For 300 yen apiece, you could get Ken, Joe, Casshan, or Hurricane Polymer. Each of these pre-painted figures were made of soft plastic and had to be assembled by the buyer. Once assembled, they measured between 3 and 4 inches in height. While Ken was done as a full figure, Joe was sculpted from the knees up.

Here's what they looked like:

Personally, I didn't think the Joe looked bad. Had they done him as a full figure, he'd have been much smaller, like the Ken figure was. For the size of these figures, the detailing on both of them was very nicely done. Not as nice as the Jun figurine, mind you, but still very nice.

James

No new posts 11-09-2008 16:58 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

Those are nice figurines indeed James! Thanks for letting us know.

I had a question for you. On eBay I see some 12 inch figures of Ken and Joe from Mediacom. Some have ridiculously high prices. Are they very rare or was there a limited number of copies? I've also noticed the Dark Jun figure--where did the idea for that come from? Was it a discarded idea from any of the series?

Just being curious...Thanks James!

No new posts 11-09-2008 17:21 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Sigh, Joe has already lost his legs...

Actually, it looks like he's wading through fire or magma (must be cyborg Joe), which at least provides a reason for why his legs aren't showing. The Jun figurine doesn't have that.

No new posts 11-09-2008 17:42 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I had a question for you. On eBay I see some 12 inch figures of Ken and Joe from Mediacom. Some have ridiculously high prices. Are they very rare or was there a limited number of copies?

With the Medicom Ken and Joe figures, it's sort of a yes-and-no. When Medicom first released the figures in Japan in early 1998, they were fairly expensive, 9,800 yen apiece (Around $90.00 each). For their initial release, each figure came with a limited edition cloisonne pin (The red bird head for Ken, the "G" symbol for Joe). A second standard-issue run followed without the pins as a bonus. Surprisingly, the non-limited edition versions seem to be available in smaller numbers, so I suspect that there were actually fewer of them made.

Anyway, because of the high retail price when these figures first hit the market, the figures tended to be sold on the secondary market for high prices as well.

This changed when Battle of the Planets mania briefly hit in 2002/2003. At that time, Diamond Comic Distributors made a deal with Medicom to reissue the Ken and Joe figures in blue Battle of the Planets packaging for the U.S. market (The original Japanese packaging were black boxes). With the tooling for the figures already done, and with Diamond purchasing a large enough quantity of the figures, Diamond was able to sell them for around $30.00 apiece.

Aside from the different packaging, one noticable difference between the two releases were the figures themselves. In the years following the original Japanese release, Medicom had redesigned their standard male figure body, but the uniforms worn on the Battle of the Planets releases used the original pattern for the old style body. The result is that the uniform doesn't seem to quite fit right. As Heather puts it, they look like droopy drawers Mark and Jason.

Also, in case you wondered, the Battle of the Planets versions of the figures did not come with the cloisonne pins of the original limited editions.

So, in general, the original Japanese release can still command a higher price, simply because it is the original Japanese release. Of course, the prices on the Japanese versions have dropped somewhat over the years, simply because of the existence of the BotP versions. The Battle of the Planets version, having been produced in higher quantities, usually goes for less. This assumes, of course, that the seller has any idea of what they actually have.

So, to finally answer your questions directly, the Japanese release is more rare, but not overly so, but the Battle of the Planets version is far more common (At least here in the U.S.). There was a limited edition run in Japan (Look for the sticker on the box saying "Limited Edition!!" and the pin visible in the box over their left shoulder), but there were plenty of them made. The U.S. release had no limited edition. Technically, there are a limited number of copies available, simply because the figures are no longer being manufactured, but they were made in decent quantity before production shut down.

quote:
also noticed the Dark Jun figure--where did the idea for that come from? Was it a discarded idea from any of the series?

No it was not. The "Dark Version" Cool Girl Jun figure was nothing more than Takara wanting to release an "Alternative" version of Jun when they reissued the standard version of the Jun Cool Girl figure back in 2006. They had apparently considered doing a version of Jun in her civilian clothes as the "Alternative" version (Which is what they did with the Cutey Honey reissue they released at the same time), but they decided that this made her look too much like a Barbie-style fashion doll, and went with the Dark Version instead. Personally, I'd rather have had her in civies.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 11-09-2008 at 21:08.
No new posts 11-09-2008 18:37 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks again for all the information. Flashing

No new posts 11-09-2008 20:57 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I have the BOTP Mark and Jason dolls (actually, two sets... one for me and one for my kids to mangle) and IMHO, I don't care how good the quality is on the Japanese ones: for the price, I'd rather have 3 or 4 of the BOTP dolls than 1 Japanese one, KWIM? I was able to pick up the ones I have for about $20 apiece at a shop in San Francisco.

I want the Dark Cool Girl Jun sooooo badly. But again, I refuse to pay $100+. The price of the regular Birdstyle Jun came way down on EBay last year, and I picked one up. woohoo I'm still waiting for the dark one to get more reasonably priced.

No new posts 11-09-2008 21:04 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Those have got to be fun to play with.... highfive

No new posts 11-09-2008 21:08 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I don't care how good the quality is on the Japanese ones: for the price, I'd rather have 3 or 4 of the BOTP dolls than 1 Japanese one, KWIM?

I didn't say that the quality between the Japanese and the U.S. releases were substantially different, only that the body style used for each release was different. If it were not for that difference, it would be very difficult to tell the Japanese release from the American release once they were out of their boxes.

quote:
The price of the regular Birdstyle Jun came way down on EBay last year, and I picked one up.

The original release of the Cool Girl Jun also had a U.S. release, back when the figure first came out, thanks to Diamond importing it as a BotP Princess figure. The U.S. release is different from the Japanese one only in that it has an English language sticker giving the product information stuck on the bottom of the box. This U.S. release, as well as the reissue of that version, have definitely helped to keep the price a bit lower on that version.

James

No new posts 11-09-2008 21:39 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

Wow, the details are astonishing! Thanks for sharing the pics James!

No new posts 14-09-2008 10:49 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: