Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Fruit, vegetable or nut?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fruit, vegetable or nut?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Fruit, vegetable or nut? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Me and the kid were watching tv this morning, when a little educational insert about healthy food came on. It was a walking, talking sweetcorn called Colonel Cob, who went on to explain (wearing combats and medals) how sweetcorn is a marvellously healthy thing to eat.

During his spiel, he announced that sweetcorn is a vegetable.

But, I think sweetcorn is fruit because it is the seeds of the corn plant. And my husband thinks that because it really is the seeds that get eaten, rather than being a fleshy and good tasting substance wrapped around the seeds, that it's technically a nut.

So, what do you think? Is corn on the cob a vegetable (as the animated yellow militarised cob on the telly would have us believe), a fruit, or a nut?

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 02-10-2004 09:39 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Vegetable

No new posts 02-10-2004 12:18 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

(singing)
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't....

Anyone remember that jingle?

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 02-10-2004 13:35 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Grain?

If you dry it and grind it up, it makes a nice flour or porridge -- like oatmeal and wheat.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 02-10-2004 18:17 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Its a vegetable and there is a very simple way in which to tell.

1. A Fruit contains the seeds of a plant

2. A Vegetable usually doesn't have seeds and is usually a plant all to itself. (with the exception of peas & beans but they are a type of pulse).

3. A nut, is the seed of a plant.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 02-10-2004 19:19 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Uh, Cep?

Sweet corn, we eat the seeds and only the seeds.

And for veggies with seeds we eat, add tomatoes and cucumbers.

Sweet corn is taxed as a vegetable and eaten as a vegetable. Except my kids like it, so I guess it can't be one.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 02-10-2004 19:43 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

This is the basis of my confusion.

A fruit is the fruiting body of a plant. Usually with nice stuff wrapped around the seeds because they are actually meant to be eaten. So tomatoes would be fruit.

A vegetable is plant matter, such as cabbage (leaves) or turnips (roots).

A nut is the seed itself, generally defined as being in a hard shell.

So, I hadn't thought of grain being a separate item but it fits perfectly well.

And peas and beans don't fit the veggie definition, nor the fruit either. So are pulses separate from vegetables?

And then, there are bananas. Because the edible kind we get in the shops doesn't have a seed in it, so what are they?

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 02-10-2004 20:27 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Actually, bananas do have seeds -- tiny things down at the bottom. Maybe some farther up. Very very tiny black specs.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 02-10-2004 21:14 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I thought the kind we get in the shops was seedless though, and all the other kinds that we don't eat have seeds in?

No new posts 02-10-2004 21:18 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by CricketBeautiful
Uh, Cep?

Sweet corn, we eat the seeds and only the seeds.

And for veggies with seeds we eat, add tomatoes and cucumbers.

Sweet corn is taxed as a vegetable and eaten as a vegetable. Except my kids like it, so I guess it can't be one.

Tomatoes are a fruit.

No new posts 03-10-2004 16:47 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Meaning of VEGETABLE

Definition:

• edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant
  • any of various herbaceous plants cultivated for an edible part such as the fruit or the root of the beet or the leaf of spinach or the seeds of bean plants or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower
  • of the nature of or characteristic of or derived from plants; "decaying vegetable matter"

No new posts 03-10-2004 16:50 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Meaning of FRUIT

Definition:

• the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant
  • fruit, as of trees and plants

No new posts 03-10-2004 16:50 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Meaning of NUT

Definition:

• usually large hard-shelled seed

No new posts 03-10-2004 16:52 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Aha - your dictionary has more specific definitons than mine. Mine didn't include fruit as a definition of vegetable Wink

No new posts 04-10-2004 11:04 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Well at least that resolved the issue hehe. Big Grin

No new posts 04-10-2004 12:45 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

You mean it resolved the issue of us all being nuts?

No new posts 06-10-2004 16:51 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Berg Katse Berg Katse is a Female
Pleather Goddess

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2001

spacer

And I walk into this conversation...I should stay away longer... Tongue

Katse

No new posts 08-10-2004 04:31 Berg Katse is offline Send an Email to Berg Katse Homepage of Berg Katse Search for Posts by Berg Katse Add Berg Katse to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: Katse (d9yaa@unb.ca)
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

No! *pouncetackles Katse to the floor* your not getting away that easily! Sneeky

No new posts 08-10-2004 11:49 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

Aww Katse,

Why would you want to leave us?

No new posts 08-10-2004 16:42 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Yuki Yuki is a Female
Honoured Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-08-2001

spacer

Because we are all nuts? Crying

No new posts 09-10-2004 04:03 Yuki is offline Send an Email to Yuki Homepage of Yuki Search for Posts by Yuki Add Yuki to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: n/a YIM Screenname: n/a
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: