Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » Bush's Patriot Act Unconstitutional
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bush's Patriot Act Unconstitutional
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
Bush's Patriot Act Unconstitutional Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

We don't really have a "Politics/Current Events/Etc" section of the board, so I'm not sure where I'd want to post this. So, I'll post it here as it seems to make the most sense. I'll even legitimize it by asking "What do YA'LL think of this?"

Myself, the Patriot Act raised my radar and my hackles from day one. So...Yaaaay! Lets hear it for the Judicial System!

Judge Rules Against Patriot Act Provision

28 minutes ago

Top Stories - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Part of the Patriot Act, a central plank of the Bush Administration's war on terror, was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge on Wednesday.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marreo ruled in favor of the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites), which challenged the power the FBI (news - web sites) has to demand confidential financial records from companies as part of terrorism investigations.

The ruling was the latest blow to the Bush administration's anti-terrorism policies.

In June, the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) ruled that terror suspects being held in places like Guantanamo Bay can use the American judicial system to challenge their confinement. That ruling was a defeat for the president's assertion of sweeping powers to hold "enemy combatants" indefinitely after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The ACLU sued the Department of Justice (news - web sites), arguing that part of the Patriot legislation violated the constitution because it authorizes the FBI to force disclosure of sensitive information without adequate safeguards.

The judge agreed, stating that the provision "effectively bars or substantially deters any judicial challenge."

Under the provision, the FBI did not have to show a judge a compelling need for the records and it did not have to specify any process that would allow a recipient to fight the demand for confidential information.

Source: Yahoo! News Story: Judge Rules Against Patriot Act Provision

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 29-09-2004 16:46 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well, well, well.

The Diet of Worms and Magna Carta seem to be coming back.

(Coming back much better than my history lessons -- think those are the two things where the British kings started trials by peers and such.)

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 29-09-2004 16:56 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The Magna Carta was basically the "Rules of the Land" in fact I think thats its direct translation. Wink

As for the worms thing you lost me utterly

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 29-09-2004 17:35 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, with the nobles against Prince John of England. As Cricket indicated, it was pretty much the first example of limitation to the devine power of the monarchy in western culture.

Diet of Worms? I dunno, it triggers two vague memories, neither of which is political/governmental history related. One was something about Darwin's theory of natural selection, and the other was a science experenment in which worms were put through a maze and they gradually developed the ability to navigate the maze better and better. Then those learned worms were chopped up and fed to a new generation of worms, who, upon eating the smart worms, could suddenly navigate the maze. Somehow they'd literally 'injested' the chemical memories of the smart worms.

Even with those two half memories, I can kind of see how it might be fiddled with to apply to this! LOL

If anyone else knows for sure! I'm curious!

No new posts 29-09-2004 18:11 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

I've heard references to it, not sure though as to what Diet of Worms is. I *think* it's a book...

Personally, I don't like the Patriot Act (and this is coming from a conservative! Eek ). It reminds me too much of the Cold War and what the US did to the Japanese during WWII.

I'm sure some of those at Guantanamo Bay would, if put through the justice system, be found guilty. I'm sure a lot would. But who are we to spout off on freedoms and rights if we adjust those freedoms and rights to apply only to those we want it to?

Just seems a little wrong and hypocritical to me.

No new posts 29-09-2004 21:08 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Bingo Elvin.

That's my concern. Here's the core of my problem with it, and also the very reason (s) it was deemed unconstitutional:

"...part of the Patriot legislation violated the constitution because it authorizes the FBI to force disclosure of sensitive information without adequate safeguards.

The judge agreed, stating that the provision "effectively bars or substantially deters any judicial challenge."

Which meant:

"Under the provision, the FBI did not have to show a judge a compelling need for the records and it did not have to specify any process that would allow a recipient to fight the demand for confidential information. "

Exqueeze me? No accountability DoJ? You'll be good because you say you will? Here's your pass in hell complete with all your good intentions. Sheesh.

No new posts 29-09-2004 21:42 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Amen. I think it's very important that the government and all its sections should have to prove their reasoning and intentions. I'm glad this was struck down.

No new posts 29-09-2004 22:14 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oooh, I remember that experiment.

Looked the thing up online.

They're experimenting with wormy diets for folks with Ulcerative Colitis and Chron's Syndrome -- ugh, think I won't sign up for that one.

http://www.fact-index.com/d/di/diet_of_worms.html explains the other.

Yeah, off topic.

Apparently Canada has something like the Patriot Act, but we hid it much better. Sigh.

Power corrupts. Absolute Power courrupts absolutely.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 30-09-2004 14:26 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Power corrupts?!

absolute power corrupts?! Evillaugh

Then it has no effect on me Devilgrin

No new posts 30-09-2004 17:03 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Cep has bowed to the inevitable -- a site full of women is more than any man can hope to control.

What shall we do to him next, ladies?

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 30-09-2004 21:45 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Anything!! Big Grin

...as long as its pleasant!

No new posts 02-10-2004 00:55 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

For who? Devil1

No new posts 04-10-2004 00:17 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

for us! Wink

No new posts 06-10-2004 16:52 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Do we get to vote on it?

Let's make a Gatchamania Constitution!

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 07-10-2004 06:33 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

What would be contained theirin?

No new posts 07-10-2004 08:26 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Members' rights to partaaaayyyy!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 08-10-2004 13:58 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Good one!

A constitution should follow the philosophy of the site. Which has been fairly anarchic, I suppose. So maybe a constitution is anathema to Gatchamania?

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 08-10-2004 16:07 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

I will vote a yay for Crickets policy

Beer

PAAAAARRRRRRRRTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No new posts 08-10-2004 16:57 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: