Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Blagh
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Blagh
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Blagh Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Isn't the week over yet?! Feels like it shoulded have ended yesterday. Blah...

No new posts 09-09-2004 14:11 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yup its still going strong, but no matter things will improve....I Hope Happy

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 09-09-2004 14:20 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yup, they will because tomorrow's Friday! Wooo!

No new posts 09-09-2004 17:10 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Does that mean I'll actually find more than half of what I expect in any one store?

Grumbles. Knew I should have gone to Canadian Tire instead of Zellers.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 09-09-2004 18:09 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Lolabella Lolabella is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2004

spacer

My work week is over in a couple of hours! I have tomorrow off. I usually have Thursdays off, but I had to be in today for a meeting.

The weekend will find me studying for my first SQL test on Monday. Wish me luck!

No new posts 09-09-2004 18:52 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Good luck!

Me, I just finished the First Test of the Semester. And it was easy! Woohoo!

I let my dad buy my tires. Much easier, considering he actually knows what's a good deal/tire or not. Hurrah for dads!

No new posts 09-09-2004 19:52 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Lolabella
The weekend will find me studying for my first SQL test on Monday. Wish me luck!

Select FreeTime from Week where Day in ('Saturday','Sunday')

Good luck Wink

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 09-09-2004 20:57 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Lolabella Lolabella is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2004

spacer

Oh Meridian! That was cute!

Thanks Smile

No new posts 09-09-2004 21:07 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

SQL? s'easy Smile

No new posts 10-09-2004 07:38 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hope so -- hubby's learning it starting the 16th, leaving me alone with the kids for Thursday evenings. But, first he's got to learn MS-Access.

Seeing as he does Pro-IV and Oracle already,...

But the MS-Access for Dummies book doesn't describe how to actually get data into the database, just how to do the reports.

Duhhh,...

Come to think of it, I think I played around with it back in 1988, just a few simple reports so I could see if they were using the fields consistently.

The local college has a reputation for having, ah, folks who don't meet the pre-reqs, in their courses, so it'll be interesting. His coworkers usually finish their homework during the lessons. Still, it'll keep him moving, so he actually finishes the learning, and the company pays for it unless he screws up.

Maybe he'll be able to use his family calendar program as an assignment.

Good luck to all!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 10-09-2004 13:40 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Well I'm an Access developer too luv Smile its easy to get the data into the DB tables just depends on what the database is and is actually trying to do.

If he knows Oracle though he should have absolutely no problems at all.

If he needs help, let me know.

No new posts 11-09-2004 09:28 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Many thanks, for the offer, Cep.

Seems there is a chapter or two on getting the data in, once he actually read the relevent chapters, which didn't have decent titles (or maybe he was just too ready to assume the worst -- he's got no love for any MS product).

(Reminds me of my programming course in univerisity -- one of my classmates didn't know why he got a low mark one time -- he got the algorithm part right, he thought. Turn out (this being Fortran), no one had actually pointed out that a program needs four parts: housekeeping, data in, data manipulation, data out. He never printed the result of all his calculations! Didn't help that the prof was taling about input files and the TA in the lab was talking about input from the keyboard. Half of us slept through that class, the other half had nightmares about it.)

Right now, OneBit's a bit miffed that the course looks like it will be about Access and MS's patented flavour of SQL, rather than SQL itself. And he'll need Visual Basic. His coworker took Access and VB there already, and they'll be sitting together, and their company has no problems with them installing the stuff at work so they can do homework there during lunch.

Oracle, he's dabbling in -- not enough time to really learn it, and one of his coworkers is pretty good at it, but they do want to move to it for the next product. But, he's Hell on Wheels in Pro-IV and C. (Yeah, I'm proud of the guy.)

I'm not too worried about him having problems -- he picks up languages and concepts quickly. It's more that he'll spend more time learning VB and Access than the SQL he's taking it for. He's got three weeks to decide to quit and still get his money back.

Cheers!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 13-09-2004 17:29 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Access is a bugger with its SQL. It insists on having brackets everywhere, even if you have just one item in an if condition you have to have brackets around it. SQL is very straightforward, but everyone has their own flavour and MS Access isn't the same flavour as MS SQL Server, and definitely not the same flavour as Oracle, when you want to actually do stuff like set up temp tables and so on.

I learnt SQL Server first, and I have a big fight with Access whenever I want it to do anything. But it seems mostly I have to work out how to make it write something like the query I want itself, and then amend it to make it do as close as possible to what I want.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 13-09-2004 17:53 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

I think the best way to learn MySQL is to create PHP driven websites... thats my opinion.

No new posts 14-09-2004 07:47 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I forwarded the notes to him. Looks like the course won't teach him what he needs, then, but it will force him to sit down and learn something related.

We'll see. It's been a while since he had a night out all by himself on a regular basis, so that's another bonus (for him).

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 14-09-2004 14:24 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And, we're in luck. Well, he is. Clear cut case of he likes the instuctor, the course, and all the rest of it.

Turns out the instructor has 20 years of database experience, including Oracle, and 5 of instructing, including daytime courses. Only reason it's on Access is that Oracle has a funny educational license -- more for night classes. So, he teaches the Oracle version in the day, and the Microsoft Sequel Server version at night. The only reason Access was a requirement was that's the most commonly used relational database, but any one will do. He says he moves fast, but fully expects the assignments to finished with half an hour to go of class / lab time.

So, good for hubby. Not so good for me -- solo bedtime with two kids for the next four months. Not impossible, not even worth whining about, but I've had it easy for ages, so I'll just have to get strict with myself about keeping the bedtime moving (and not dozing off just before toothbrush time like I did tonight).

Meanwhile, I'm busily hoping that Buffy and friends in the southern US are doing okay. They were expecting power outages, so we won't hear from them for a while, even if the winds miss them.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 17-09-2004 02:11 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

spacer

Wonder if Yuki has had her little arrival yet...

No new posts 17-09-2004 07:45 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Yuki Yuki is a Female
Honoured Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-08-2001

spacer

Cep, you are so sweet in thinking of me.

But no, the baby has not arrived yet. Still another almost 3 months time, but I am huge like a whale..

*chuckles* of course you won't be interested in the details. Anyhow.. doing fine here, tired as whatever, so please pardon me for continuing to be AWOL. But you guys are always on my mind.

And again thanks for thinking of me.. Will update later.

*smooches all*

Yuki

No new posts 17-09-2004 21:10 Yuki is offline Send an Email to Yuki Homepage of Yuki Search for Posts by Yuki Add Yuki to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: n/a YIM Screenname: n/a
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Have you found out if it's a boy or a girl?

*squee*

I like babies. ^_^ They're so cute. Tough to handle sometimes, but still cute.

No new posts 18-09-2004 02:17 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yuki has posted pre-birth (3D!) pics of the baby over at Clubhouse. Cute and technologically impressive Wink

No new posts 18-09-2004 04:23 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: