Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » School...Yck!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page School...Yck!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer
School...Yck! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Not a very Gatchy subject, I know. I'm in my last highschool year and I've applied for an international scolarship.

Since the East European former communist countries have an ancient school catalogue I'd like to know how education works in West. Do they lay weight on lab works and tutorial classes more than on theoretical courses? How does a schedule look like? How many classes per day?
Here it's 5-6 hours at school depending on the schedule.

I'd also like to know what West Students learn during objects like Math, Chemistry, and Physics.

Anyway this is how my XII degree Math book looks like:

Are the Occidental student's ones any (more) different? How?

Thanks !!!

No new posts 07-06-2008 11:30 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It been so long since I've been in school....from what my nieces and nephews say its a mix and it depends on the school. Which country are you looking at going to?

You lost me on the first math problem... Nerd

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 07-06-2008 at 11:49.
No new posts 07-06-2008 11:48 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I graduated from high school in Nova Scotia, Canada, in 1988. Your textbook there looks like integral calculus. In my last year of high school, grade 12, we only just touched on the basics of calculus -really simple derivations. I didn't really do calculus until my first semester of university, and didn't do integral calculus until my second semester.

You got me curious, so I looked up my former high school. It looks like they teach calculus now in grade 12. High school in Nova Scotia lasts three years, grades 10, 11, and 12.

http://www.cpa.ednet.ns.ca/mathematics/index.htm

Here's what my high school is teaching in science these days. It's about what I remember learning, except they didn't offer "Geology" or "Oceans" in my day, just biology, chemistry and physics.

http://www.cpa.ednet.ns.ca/science/index.htm

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 07-06-2008 at 12:47.
No new posts 07-06-2008 12:43 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

YJ's in accounting, she'd know about it...

No new posts 07-06-2008 13:13 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

ACK! All of those letters and numbers...feeling...faint....Faint

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 07-06-2008 17:29 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer

Ow that textbook made my brain hur!

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 07-06-2008 18:31 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
ACK! All of those letters and numbers...feeling...faint....Faint

Glad I am not the only one who is feeling that way.
Now I know why I did not do grade 13 math.

No new posts 07-06-2008 18:49 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
It been so long since I've been in school....from what my nieces and nephews say its a mix and it depends on the school. Which country are you looking at going to?
Nerd

That depends by your options, the results you get at the preliminarily exams and the skills you have in the country of interest's language. The best students got scholarships at Cambridge and Oxford. I am dreaming at scholarship in molecular biology, which University of Berlin has the best reputation! The preliminary exams are at Math, Chem and Bio. I also heard the students from Occident have a whole different learning syllabus from Eastern european countries. I hope I won't be forced to start from zero!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by amyltrer on 07-06-2008 at 19:08.
No new posts 07-06-2008 19:04 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
I graduated from high school in Nova Scotia, Canada, in 1988. Your textbook there looks like integral calculus. In my last year of high school, grade 12, we only just touched on the basics of calculus -really simple derivations. I didn't really do calculus until my first semester of university, and didn't do integral calculus until my second semester.

You got me curious, so I looked up my former high school. It looks like they teach calculus now in grade 12. High school in Nova Scotia lasts three years, grades 10, 11, and 12.

http://www.cpa.ednet.ns.ca/mathematics/index.htm

Here's what my high school is teaching in science these days. It's about what I remember learning, except they didn't offer "Geology" or "Oceans" in my day, just biology, chemistry and physics.

http://www.cpa.ednet.ns.ca/science/index.htm

Thank you very much, LB! Sailorchibi So far the syllabus is very much like my own!

No new posts 07-06-2008 19:16 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amyltrer

Thank you very much, LB! Sailorchibi So far the syllabus is very much like my own!

Glad I could help!

No new posts 07-06-2008 21:21 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I don't know about European schools, but that looks to be about the level of calculus I covered during my last year of high school. Of course, when I went to undergrad, not everyone had had the same level of calculus, so we covered all of that again in first year. The Basic (i.e. not honors/theoretical) first year Calculus course at a Canadian/American university would cover that stuff.

(And FTR, Ebony, even as an accountant, I NEVER do calculus. At least, not since I left grad school.)

No new posts 07-06-2008 23:26 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

The problem with the British education system is that they can't decide with courses they want kids to take for example, you got GCEs, GCSE (which I have got), NVQ, and many more.

Also, they keep changing the level of difficulty for the kids, because of the damm leagues they have.

It really wasn't like this when I was at school.

No new posts 08-06-2008 03:11 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
I don't know about European schools, but that looks to be about the level of calculus I covered during my last year of high school. Of course, when I went to undergrad, not everyone had had the same level of calculus, so we covered all of that again in first year. The Basic (i.e. not honors/theoretical) first year Calculus course at a Canadian/American university would cover that stuff.

(And FTR, Ebony, even as an accountant, I NEVER do calculus. At least, not since I left grad school.)

Did you do Ontario's grade 13, TJ? I remember at McGill, all the Ontario students had done grade 13, and they definitely had a leg up where the maths and sciences were concerned. But, they didn't really get any credit for it, unlike Quebec's CEGEP students, who automatically bypassed all the first year science classes and were put right into the second year program.

Completely irrelevant piece of trivia:

This guy, Cameron Mathison, sat in the row in front of me, in my freshman Physics class at McGill in the fall of 1988. I thought he was gorgeous but was far too shy to say a word to him. Looks like he made about as much use of the Physics class as I did though, in the end.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0558950/

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 08-06-2008 at 04:48.
No new posts 08-06-2008 04:48 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

This guy, Cameron Mathison, sat in the row in front of me, in my freshman Physics class at McGill in the fall of 1988. I thought he was gorgeous but was far too shy to say a word to him. Looks like he made about as much use of the Physics class as I did though, in the end.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0558950/

Wow, he might not have used his Physics but he definitely uses his physique! You've been classmate with him and you've lost the opportunity, LB? Pity!

No new posts 08-06-2008 08:05 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Faint He's so hot...I'll bet you didn't remember a thing from that class...he's quite a distraction!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 08-06-2008 11:50 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Back then, he had longer, shaggier hair and, fashion-wise, dressed "early grunge," but every time he turned sideways, I'd be admiring his profile.

I really don't remember too much from that class! But, that's mostly because about a year later, I switched majors from Chemistry to History and ceased to make any use of my science classes.

I still have the textbook, though. I can never seem to get rid of any books.

No new posts 08-06-2008 14:09 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

OK I popped into this thread...and now I'm lost can someone give me directions???

No new posts 08-06-2008 14:28 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Did you do Ontario's grade 13, TJ? I remember at McGill, all the Ontario students had done grade 13, and they definitely had a leg up where the maths and sciences were concerned. But, they didn't really get any credit for it, unlike Quebec's CEGEP students, who automatically bypassed all the first year science classes and were put right into the second year program.

Yes. I was actually around the first time they seriously started trying to get rid of grade 13, and I ended up doing an accelerated program where I did grades 9-13 in four years. Actually, what ended up happening was that I did grades 9-12 in three years, and then had a proper grade 13 year. So yes, I'm talking about my grade 13 calculus class.

Fortunately, at Queen's, we didn't have any of those elitist Quebequois stereotypes. Wink

No new posts 08-06-2008 14:54 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Back then, he had longer, shaggier hair and, fashion-wise, dressed "early grunge," but every time he turned sideways, I'd be admiring his profile.

I really don't remember too much from that class! But, that's mostly because about a year later, I switched majors from Chemistry to History and ceased to make any use of my science classes.

I still have the textbook, though. I can never seem to get rid of any books.

I hear you, LB! I still have my undergrad economics notes. That prof was so good... one of the best teachers I've ever had! And the notes are so clear... I hate to get rid of them! I mean, suppose I run for political office someday and need to explain an economic concept? ROFL 2

No new posts 08-06-2008 14:56 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
OK I popped into this thread...and now I'm lost can someone give me directions???

Take the first one on the left and then right and right again and then left and then go past that thread and then right, right and then left, right left and left again and there you will be.

If you are still lost then just use the Sat Nav in your car.

No new posts 08-06-2008 19:34 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: