Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » Gatchaman v.s. Golion
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman v.s. Golion
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Parrot Billy Parrot Billy is a Male
Just popping in

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-12-2006

spacer
Question Gatchaman v.s. Golion Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

From what I know Gatchaman (battle of the planets, g-force) and Golion (lion voltron, lionbot) are quite the same. . . except for a couple of differences

I had paired the Gatchaman heroes with their Golion counterparts, and you tell me how each pair is different:

Ken. . . . . Kogane Akira
Joe. . . . .Kurogane Isamu
Jun. . . . . . . . .Farla Hime
Ryu. . . . . .Seidou Tsuyoshi
Jinpei. .Suzuish Hiroshi (Chibi)

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Parrot Billy on 21-01-2007 at 10:15.
No new posts 14-01-2007 05:08 Parrot Billy is offline Send an Email to Parrot Billy Search for Posts by Parrot Billy Add Parrot Billy to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hey, Billy...I'm not familiar with the Japanese names of Go Lion (Voltron, right?) Can you post those?

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 14-01-2007 13:25 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

From what all I remember of Voltron, they are quite simular. They even had the "other" male, Don in BOTP and Sven in Voltron. I could go on but it would take a long time.... Any particulars are you looking for?

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 15-01-2007 14:47 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Parrot Billy Parrot Billy is a Male
Just popping in

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-12-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchgirl
From what all I remember of Voltron, they are quite simular. They even had the "other" male, Don in BOTP and Sven in Voltron. I could go on but it would take a long time.... Any particulars are you looking for?
In Golion, Sven was 2 characters. (both brothers)
the Sven from the final episodes of Goilon was the younger called Sho, but I can't seem to remember the nem of the elder who commanded the blu lion before Farla. . . .until his death.

No new posts 15-01-2007 22:48 Parrot Billy is offline Send an Email to Parrot Billy Search for Posts by Parrot Billy Add Parrot Billy to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Interesting... makes me kinda want to find out more on it. Is the golion series kinda the same as Gatchaman is to BOTP. As far as the violence taken out etc..?

No new posts 16-01-2007 16:43 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hello all!

quote:
Interesting... makes me kinda want to find out more on it. Is the golion series kinda the same as Gatchaman is to BOTP. As far as the violence taken out etc..?

Go Lion didn't need to be as heavily edited as Gatchaman was. Beyond the first episode, the show was nowhere near as violent. The first episode was very violent and very bloody. Not quite to Fist of the North Star levels, but certainly heading in that direction. I remember being quite surprised by it at the time. Anyway, from the second episode onward, it became more or less like the typical giant robot series of the time, filled with lots of mecha action but very little graphic violence.

The edit for Voltron also benefitted from looser standards for what was allowed on kids TV than were in place when BotP was being produced.

It probably also didn't hurt that Jameson Brewer had cut his teeth on BotP a few years earlier. Wink2

quote:
the Sven from the final episodes of Goilon was the younger called Sho, but I can't seem to remember the nem of the elder who commanded the blu lion before Farla. . . .until his death.

The name of the original Blue Lion pilot was Takashi Shirogane.

I hope this helps!

James

No new posts 18-01-2007 02:54 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks James for the update and info. on it.

I do have one question, is Golion in a translated form or do we have to watch it in Japaneese?

No new posts 19-01-2007 02:36 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hello all!

quote:
I do have one question, is Golion in a translated form or do we have to watch it in Japanese?

Mediablasters is currently releasing the Voltron version of the series, but once they are done with that, they are supposed to release a subtitled version of the uncut Japanese series. I haven't seen a timetable for this, but I would guess the first volume would be released sometime over the summer.

James

No new posts 19-01-2007 03:29 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks again. You really are quite a knowledgeable person on a lot of this stuff.

No new posts 19-01-2007 15:17 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
BuddyParaiso BuddyParaiso is a Male
Honoured Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-05-2008

spacer

I think Gatchaman is closely related with the Voltes Team of Chodenji Mashin Voltes V than Golion/Voltron since both shows were made during the 70's and both teams uses Ninjitsu battle techniques, However, Voltron was clearly a Voltes V rip-off and I don't think the Voltron Force, outside the comfort of their Lions, can par against the mighty strength of the Gatchaman team...Can anyone imagine Princess Allura winning against G-3 Jun Shiratori?
Freedom

No new posts 20-05-2008 02:20 BuddyParaiso is offline Send an Email to BuddyParaiso Search for Posts by BuddyParaiso Add BuddyParaiso to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Of course, "Voltes V" is nothing more than a retred of "Combattler V," the show that it replaced on TV Asahi's line-up.

If you want to see a non-robot series that owes its genesis to "Gatchaman," try "Ultra Super Car Gattiger," a racing series from 1977. That series has a five man race team (The hero, the tough guy, the girl, the kid, and the fat guy), characters whose names are Ken and Joe, a villain organization that dresses in green and attacks with new mecha every week, a villain leader who dresses in purple and has blond hair, and the lead character even has a missing parent who appears in disguise to offer assistance. In a way, "Gattiger" even predicted "Gatchaman Fighter," by having the five vehicles driven by the heroes unite into one super powerful vehicle.

James

No new posts 20-05-2008 03:57 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
DeDe3 DeDe3 is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

spacer

The first volume of Golion comes out on May 27. Then the first volume of Vehicle Voltron, sometime in june or july,then another Golion.

No new posts 20-05-2008 05:21 DeDe3 is offline Send an Email to DeDe3 Search for Posts by DeDe3 Add DeDe3 to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

Is GoLion still scheduled for release on May 27?? I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm sooo looking forward to it's release. I was a Voltron fan back in the day (because it reminded me so much of BoTP), but now that I'm older, wiser, and more aware of the butchering so many anime series receive to Americanize it, I really want to see GoLion and hear the story as it was meant to be!

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 20-05-2008 22:55 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm interested in Go Lion, too...I remember seeing Voltron and thinking...you've got to be kidding...is this a G Force rip off? But I watched it anyway, because I missed my G Force so much...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 20-05-2008 22:59 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer
RE: Gatchaman v.s. Golion Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Here you go - Gatchaman to GoLion to Voltron

Ken. . . . . Kogane Akira Keith = Black Lion
Joe. . . . .Kurogane Isamu Lance - Red Lion
Jun. . . . . . . . .Farla Hime Princess Allura - Blue Lion (after Swen)
Ryu. . . . . .Seidou Tsuyoshi Hunk - Yellow Lion
Jinpei. .Suzuish Hiroshi (Chibi) Pidge - Green Lion

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Reboekah on 20-05-2008 at 23:20.
No new posts 20-05-2008 23:20 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

I've seen a screenshot comparison of the characters in Voltron vs. BOTP/Gatch somewhere...but I can't remember where...

No new posts 21-05-2008 00:04 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Hmmm, I've never seen Go Lion or Voltron, but now I'm curious. I'm aware that Gatchaman is credited with starting the sentai, team-of-five trend, but it would be interesting to see how this was carried into other shows.

No new posts 21-05-2008 00:11 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

Here's some background info on Voltron, from the Voltron Universe site. Just a warning... Reading this will bring back memories of when you first started looking at Gatch sites!!! Big Grin

Voltron 101

BTW, while I was at this site, I checked out their news section... And it seems (are you sitting??) that a Voltron feature film is also in the works! Right now they're listing a release date of 2010... Here we go again with being inundated with anime-based big-screen films (can we say audience burn out???)

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 21-05-2008 00:39 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Interesting link!

"Well, that's the story if you've only seen the Americanized Voltron: Defender of the Universe. Things went a little differently in Golion, the Japanese original. In Japan, the Sven character's name was Takashi Shirogane, and he wasn't just injured in that early episode. He was killed. That's right, dead as a doornail. It's his younger brother Sho who's in the final episodes."

Yikes, this does remind me of when I first discovered Gatchaman sites and learned of "Jason's" real fate.

And, now that I think about it, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Tatsunoko people originally planned, in Gatch II, to keep Joe dead and instead introduce his younger brother...

No new posts 21-05-2008 01:17 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I was a Voltron fan back in the day (because it reminded me so much of BoTP), but now that I'm older, wiser, and more aware of the butchering so many anime series receive to Americanize it, I really want to see GoLion and hear the story as it was meant to be!

Well, story-wise it won't be all that different once you get past the first few episodes. The first episode was very violent, but it tamed down quickly, thereby requiring far less editing. And, of course, Sven doesn't survive in the original. Not to mention that Earth has been destroyed as the series opens. Still, once you get settled into the typical monster-of-the-week stories, "Voltron" was actually fairly faithful to "Go Lion."

One other big difference you'll notice is that the series sounds completely different. "Voltron" did not use any of the original "Go Lion" music and sound effects, using new music and sound effects that were created in America. It's a matter of opinion, but I preferred the Japanese M&E over the American one. Of course, I feel the same way about the new music and effects used for "Eagle Riders" too...

quote:
And, now that I think about it, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Tatsunoko people originally planned, in Gatch II, to keep Joe dead and instead introduce his younger brother...

Not quite. Yes, an earlier Planning Establishment for "Gatchaman 2" (As it was then called) did have Joe's younger brother, Jack, replace him on the Ninja Team, becoming Jack, the Hawk. But Joe was not going to be left dead. Instead, he was to have been taken away by Gallactor, made into a cyborg, and made into one of their operatives, the Space Joker. As the Space Joker, he would have been a major opponent for the Science Ninja Team, showing up at the last second to save the Leader of Gallactor from being captured and generally causing them a lot of headaches. He would have flown around in the Condora and used Black Feather Shuriken as his weapon. Obviously, subtlety was not high on the agenda. Eventually (After all the angst they could get was wrung out of it), during a climactic battle between Jack and the Space Joker, Joe would have broken free from his Gallactor brainwashing, and returned to being Joe once more.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 21-05-2008 at 02:32.
No new posts 21-05-2008 02:08 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: