Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » The spirit of the Olympics..
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The spirit of the Olympics..
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer
The spirit of the Olympics.. Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Whatever happened to the spirit of the Olympics? ok..so they dont compete nude anymore, nor is it a an event solely confined to men..but what ever happened to all wars and and factions ceasing for the duration of the Olypic games?...

what ever happend to athletes that were honoured with Olive wreaths for their accomplishements?

Look at the drug cheats that were busted within this last week in your country?

Aus had two or three that were expelled from the Aus team... Greece found their top two "superstar" Sprint athletes didnt appear for their routine drug testing..

ARE the Olympics as revered as they once were? ARe they staying true to the the "spirit of the Olympics?"

will You be watching them on Tv?

<hey I've only got another hour and a half to go before they start (at 3.30am my time!) ..so I suppose Im just killing time here.. Big Grin >

No new posts 13-08-2004 15:46 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Im sure the ancient greeks would not have been against the use of drugs. Look at their interest in the perfect body.

No new posts 13-08-2004 17:22 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Tajiri Tajiri is a Male

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yes I have been watching the Olympics. I found it hillarious that the US Basketball team got their asses handed to them by Puerto Rico.

Several members of the US track team were accused of doping but they didn't test positive for anything. To the best of my knowledge a few of the accused didn't make the team. Not because of the doping, they just didn't qualify in their events.

I do like the Olympics though. I like watching the countries come out during the opening ceremony. Take Greece for instance. There was so much pride when they came out that I coldn't help but to wish to be part of that heritage. That's not to say that I don't take pride in seeing the US team come out, but there's something about seeing other countries do good in the Olympics and take pride in their acomplishments. So I like seeing teams like Greece, Ireland, Japan and Australia do good.

No new posts 16-08-2004 02:11 Tajiri is offline Send an Email to Tajiri Search for Posts by Tajiri Add Tajiri to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Ive been watching the Olympics.

Having an Aussie sitting with me its been fun especially when GB and Aus are racing against one another.

Only kidding from what I have seen the spirit of the Olympics is alive I have seen people clap and cheer a Rwandan swimmer to finish (even if she was last) showing support for a girl who otherwise through the strifes of her country might not have been there.

We have seen people congratulate and commisserate with one another through victories and defeats.

Is the spirit still alive?

Yes.

There are a few people who always try to use artificial means to be better but in the end they get found out and the pride and hard work of the others shines through.

In fact if the Olympic spirit seen so far extended to outside the games maybe there would be fewer wars

No new posts 16-08-2004 07:08 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

Hey, at least they are doing the wreath thing, now.

^_^ Been watching snatches of the competitions between packing for school. I'd like to think that the spirit is still alive. It certainly has gone through periods where it's wavered, when, because of political conflict, countries have boycotted. So perhaps it's higher than it has been recently, but not as high as it has been in the past. Or something. My brain's not working too well right now. Should probably fix that...

No new posts 18-08-2004 00:35 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Nah, working brains are optional for school.

Then again, they are needed for the packing.

Cricket

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 18-08-2004 18:37 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

Hey, apparently they are needed for packing. Had to go back for some stuff I'd forgotten.

As for Olympics...WE WON ALL-AROUND GYMNASTICS! WOOO! If you couldn't tell, gymnastics is my favorite of the sports. Go Paul Hamm!

No new posts 21-08-2004 14:33 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

I prefer the Paraolympics as disabled like myself are better athletes because we don't use drugs and at least we have the original Olympic spirit and also it's more fun to watch.

quote:
Originally posted by imaqtz
Whatever happened to the spirit of the Olympics? ok..so they dont compete nude anymore, nor is it a an event solely confined to men..but what ever happened to all wars and and factions ceasing for the duration of the Olypic games?...

what ever happend to athletes that were honoured with Olive wreaths for their accomplishements?

Look at the drug cheats that were busted within this last week in your country?

Aus had two or three that were expelled from the Aus team... Greece found their top two "superstar" Sprint athletes didnt appear for their routine drug testing..

ARE the Olympics as revered as they once were? ARe they staying true to the the "spirit of the Olympics?"

will You be watching them on Tv?

<hey I've only got another hour and a half to go before they start (at 3.30am my time!) ..so I suppose Im just killing time here.. Big Grin >

No new posts 01-07-2005 15:30 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Tengu
Im sure the ancient greeks would not have been against the use of drugs. Look at their interest in the perfect body.

If fact, the ancient Greeks DID use drugs, so the modern Greeks are just doing what they have always been doing. Drugs.

Also, I think doing drugs should be a new Olympic sport if all these so called athletes are doing it.

No new posts 01-07-2005 15:32 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: