Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » My Body, My Morals....Right?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page My Body, My Morals....Right?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Berg Katse Berg Katse is a Female
Pleather Goddess

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2001

spacer
My Body, My Morals....Right? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'd like for all of you to read this article, entitled "Access Denied"--why women are now being refused birth control pills in the US.

If you'd like to hear some of the comments made by those who have read the article, visit Witchvox , a pagan information site that lists part of the article, a link to it, and then pages of reader commentary.

It's a very sad day indeed when people selectively stop doing their job to ease their own conscience, despite the fact that such a generalized application could very well be endangering the lives of those they refuse medication to more than they endanger the life of an unborn child.

Katse

No new posts 08-07-2004 00:34 Berg Katse is offline Send an Email to Berg Katse Homepage of Berg Katse Search for Posts by Berg Katse Add Berg Katse to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: Katse (d9yaa@unb.ca)
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've been following this for a while now.

This is one of the downsides of what happens when a conservative Republican president runs the White House.

While I am vehamently opposed to frivolous lawsuits, this is one situation where I would look into the option of sueing.

You can bet your bottom dollar that this is one of many reasons I'm voting Democrat in the next election. God save us from the Moral Minority. And you know what...I'm sorry, moral or otherwise, I don't consider a collection of cytoblast cells a baby. They are talking primarily of first month terminations.

Get the heck away from my ovaries folks! Start worrying about more important things...like the fact that our president has quietly declared miles of federally protected national park land now open to private enterprise.

Contributing to unwanted children and overpopulation is oh so much more important than the systematic distruction of some of our last natural reserves in the name of profit. 2guns

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 08-07-2004 01:36 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Start worrying about more important things...like the fact that our president has quietly declared miles of federally protected national park land now open to private enterprise.

And having read about your national park system (which IMHO, is good, but I do believe that people should be `allowed` to use the land, and not get kicked out when a park is formed.) more power to him.

And dont listen to the pagans on the subject of birth control, they are just as mixed up about it as any other religion.

Nor the japanese....

(and as you know, I am very much pro japanese, but I dont think having abortion as a primary form of birth control is prohressive. And I wont talk about mental health care other there either, save that it keeps us tengu in business...)

No new posts 08-07-2004 08:24 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Berg Katse Berg Katse is a Female
Pleather Goddess

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2001

spacer

I posted up the Witchvox site for a few reasons:

1. I'm pagan.
2. Its homepage has a column on the right hand side that is updated regularly with new, important pieces of news, many which are controversial (ie, Arnold Schwarzeneggar's announcement to have animals in shelters killed faster to save money...and a few hours later, him deciding that money saving idea was best left in the trash after the public outcry)
3. It is the only page I've found that has intelligent feedback left for news stories (unlike yahoo.com, where idiots mostly post)

Katse

No new posts 08-07-2004 08:45 Berg Katse is offline Send an Email to Berg Katse Homepage of Berg Katse Search for Posts by Berg Katse Add Berg Katse to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: Katse (d9yaa@unb.ca)
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Isn't it thought to be the case that 75% (or is it 80%) of pregnancies only last for a few days before spontaneously miscarrying anyway? What kind of modifier does contraceptive pill use put on this? Can't be much.

Lots of women (me included) don't get along with the pill for medical or psychological reasons. But to apply some third hand half arsed version of morality into the equation really isn't helping anyone.

I suppose it all helps the older teenage pregnancy bomb that all this silver ring / abstainence anti-sex education Bush administration is pushing along... Keep the birth rate up among the uninformed, push the birth rate up too among the suddenly medical-morally deprived. It's all some kind of balance, methinks. Rolleyes

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 08-07-2004 13:09 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

That's interesting. I have to give Bush a little help here, most of these physicians are actually deciding this on their own.

In my own opinion, a doctor has the right to not prescribe something. However, if the patient feels otherwise, they should find another doctor. For example, some psychiatrists won't prescribe pills for patients with depression or what not. Again, that's their opinion and their right. But a patient who feels that their problem is a chemical imbalance should find another doctor and discuss it with them.

Pharmacists, however, don't have that right. The doctor has prescribed the medicine. Birth control is used for quite a few more things than birth control, such as severe menstrual cramps and weight control (yup, weight control). The doctor's job is to decide whether or not to prescribe something. The pharmacist's job is to fill those prescriptions. Period. If they feel strong enough to not do so, they need to leave the business.

Birth contol, used for its original purpose, is used to prevent the need to decide what to do with an unwanted baby. I feel it's better to be on the pill than to abort the baby or worse.

I have strong opinions on abortion, primarily because I know so many young women who've miscarried. To me, adoption is a better route than abortion, primarily because of my religious beliefs and because so many women I know want a child so badly.

But again, birth control is not abortion. It prevents the choice having to be made entirely.

As for the parklands being opened up, it isn't like the parks are actually protecting the land. Faced with the choice to allow a designated amount of land to be cleared and then replanted in order to stop the beetle invasion or allow the invasion to continue, they decided to allow it to continue. As a result, rather than at least be turned into usable lumber, the trees died, became useless, and added to the danger of forest fires, which wiped out even more. It's true that the parks try to prevent human-inflicted damage, but natural damage can be a problem as well. What's worse is that the areas destroyed by the fires won't be replanted. Rather than lose a chunk of trees that would have been replaced, the people decided to lose whole forests. What I'd like to know is if some of these areas were the ones stricken by the beetle. If so, there's nothing there but dead trees. It would take decades for the area to grow back. It makes sense to go ahead and open the area up.

No new posts 08-07-2004 13:25 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

I was thinking more about making logical and responsible use of the land....

In the late 60s there was talk of `evacuating` (I think that was the exact word that was used.) certain areas deemed uneconomical to humans and best left wild. They mentioned the arctic but I think one area most discussed was the so called `empty quarter` of Saudi Arabia.

It was then pointed out that this `so called` useless land successfully supported over one million Bedouin.

the enviroment is closley connected to economics, and so rather than declare an area wild (even if you have plenty of space, as in the US) makes little sense compared to learning how to manage it sensibly. (even if the only real benifit is educational, that on its own is important)

I have a friend who has made a lot of studying of the medieval methods of forest management. He said they were very advanced, and preserved the forests as well as provided a living for the locals. They were not fenced off areas for the hunting privilidges of a few elites. (a senseless method that in some areas is still implimented even today.) as if oft depicted in history books

No new posts 08-07-2004 19:01 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: