Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » Hello lborgia88!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hello lborgia88!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Hello lborgia88! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I saw your posting on another board that you have been gobbling up our fanfiction and wanting to write one of your own. Welcome! I know that you find a supportive and willing audience here! Gatch

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 10-02-2008 at 15:32.
No new posts 10-02-2008 04:13 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Most definitely. Welcome!

No new posts 10-02-2008 11:46 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yes, ITA! Welcome Iborgia!! Actually, she has a ficcie on the archives site. Well worth the read!!
Iborgia, you are very talented! We are glad to have you with us!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 10-02-2008 13:23 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

Wave3 Hi Iborgia! Welcome aboard! We always love having another fic writer in our midst. Can't wait to read your ficcies!

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 10-02-2008 13:25 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

Hello lborgia88! Come out and play! Animeclap

No new posts 10-02-2008 13:49 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

Oh, yes, and ficcies...We love ficcies!

No new posts 10-02-2008 17:45 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

We got cookies too!Flip

No new posts 10-02-2008 17:52 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Aaaw! You guys are so nice! Thanks for the warm welcome. Actually, I'm jobhunting these days. Knowing my luck, once I'm employed, I won't have time to write fanfiction.

PS: Never get a doctorate in 16th century British history -it's useless!

No new posts 10-02-2008 18:41 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

lol unless you want to teach history I guess

No new posts 10-02-2008 18:46 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Sadly, it's very difficult to land a tenure-track position. Especially in my field, where all the Tudor-Stuart people are retiring and getting replaced with people who can teach trendier fields like Asia or the Middle East. Being non-tenured adjunct faculty has no benefits, job security or much $$. I'm looking more into museums, libraries, publishing firms etc.

I suppose I could try writing a fic where the science ninjas get hit with a Galactor time travel ray and end up in England under Henry VIII. Ken takes up jousting, Anne Boleyn chases after Joe, Henry VIII chases after Jun...

No new posts 10-02-2008 18:53 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Okay, I'm really glad I posted now. That sounds like a terrific idea, Lborgia! I'm a big fan of Bertrice Small, so I'm suddenly picturing the KNT running around one of her novels... ROFL 2

In any case, it seems that you're in the right place! We LOVE to discuss fic ideas like this! And we'll be happy to help you spend whatever free time you have writing something up. Big Grin

Good luck with your job hunt! I don't know about history, but I'm an adjunct faculty myself in California. Given the workload, the pay is pretty good, and there are benefits. But then, technically I'm employed by the government, since I work at state school..

No new posts 10-02-2008 19:04 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

ooh I love that idea!

No new posts 10-02-2008 19:23 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

welcome lborgia welcome

Glad to meet you. Any one who writes fics is sure to fit in here.
As for going back in time. Sounds like it would be a hit. I have read several stories dealing with time travel, our Ebony is just finishing up one now as it happens, but do not let that stop you, yours will have a different twist to it I am sure.

Especially if they travel back to 16th C England. Hmmm, how would they fuel up their G-machines or get the Phoenix repaired?
The team riding on horses to chase Galactor. Ohh! all the fun little things you could do....

No new posts 10-02-2008 22:13 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Transmute Jun, what field do you teach in? Me, I never really taught very much. I was a teaching assistant for 4 years, which did involve some lecturing, but it was mostly grading exams -hundreds of little blue books filled with indecipherable handwriting... and dealing with students who wanted to know why they got a B instead of an A when they'd attended every class. After I passed my candidacy exams and my assistantship ran up, I ended up working off campus doing accounting-type work at a private country club, because it actually paid better and was much closer to where I was living. But I took a long time finishing my dissertation, until I was able to get all my 16th C source material in PDF form on CDs -then my writing took off.
But now, I've got a really weird looking resume, plus my PhD is from one of Ohio's less prestigious state universities mostly known for certain events of May 4th, 1970 immortalized in a CSNY song...
Nevertheless, I maintain hope that I will yet find the job for me...
By the way, everyone -I was joking about writing a time travel fic, but now the idea is growing on me. We shall see.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 10-02-2008 at 23:29.
No new posts 10-02-2008 23:16 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Transmute Jun, what field do you teach in?

Interestingly enough, I teach accounting, and I have side contracts with publishers to write educational materials in my field. Accounting exams are much easier to grade, because there are clear right and wrong answers, and while I get arguments from students, they are usually much easier to quell, IYKWIM. Wink

Yes, do a time travel fic! I did one awhile ago that was based on a 'Groundhog Day' sort of idea (although it was actually inspired by Star Trek) that was actually a time loop. It was one of the most fun ones I have done! But going back in history... that would be really intriguing, and since you know about the periods involved, it would be so much more fascinating! Magic Treehouse meets Gatchaman! pound

No new posts 10-02-2008 23:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I think I've read that one! Is it the one where Ken keeps repeating the same scenario over and over, and everyone keeps getting killed until he finally figures out what he has to do? That was a good one. I'd never made the Star Trek connection, but now that you mention it, there was a Star Trek TNG episode like that, wasn't there?

Does anyone here remember Space 1999? There was an episode where the main characters somehow ended up in Scotland circa early 1300s, and the locals tried to burn them as witches.
I think I'd have to stick to something more comedic, like the team ends up at Henry VIII's court and one of them just happens to exactly resemble someone really of that time and place -confusion ensues! a la Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

No new posts 10-02-2008 23:45 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Toneman Toneman is a Male
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

10 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-11-2007

spacer

Yes, Yes...

Come and write with us...
We love seeing new work, and hashing ideas...

Gatch Eagle Gatch

No new posts 11-02-2008 00:09 Toneman is offline Send an Email to Toneman Search for Posts by Toneman Add Toneman to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
I think I've read that one! Is it the one where Ken keeps repeating the same scenario over and over, and everyone keeps getting killed until he finally figures out what he has to do? That was a good one. I'd never made the Star Trek connection, but now that you mention it, there was a Star Trek TNG episode like that, wasn't there?

Yes, that's the one! Wow... I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, now. Blushing Yes, it was based on two TNG episodes: Parallels (where Worf jumps from one 'dimension' to the next based on fluctuations in Data's positronic matrix) and Cause and Effect (where the Enterprise goes through a time loop and keeps getting destroyed until they manage to change the outcome by going with a different way of attacking the problem). The best part was writing the 'comedic' day where everything was totally whacked. Big Grin But then, my sense of humor is whacked too, so it comes rather naturally... just look around these boards and you'll see what I mean. Wink

But see? There's just SO much potential out there! And I like the idea of one of the team looking like a historical character... maybe a distant ancestor?

No new posts 11-02-2008 03:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

Does anyone here remember Space 1999? There was an episode where the main characters somehow ended up in Scotland circa early 1300s, and the locals tried to burn them as witches.
I think I'd have to stick to something more comedic, like the team ends up at Henry VIII's court and one of them just happens to exactly resemble someone really of that time and place -confusion ensues! a la Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

I remember that episode of space 1999 I believe it was doctor Helena Russell, John Koenig and Alan carter and I think the epsiode was called journey to where.

Can you tell I used to watch it a lot?

No new posts 11-02-2008 11:51 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Sadly, it's very difficult to land a tenure-track position. Especially in my field, where all the Tudor-Stuart people are retiring and getting replaced with people who can teach trendier fields like Asia or the Middle East. Being non-tenured adjunct faculty has no benefits, job security or much $$. I'm looking more into museums, libraries, publishing firms etc.

I suppose I could try writing a fic where the science ninjas get hit with a Galactor time travel ray and end up in England under Henry VIII. Ken takes up jousting, Anne Boleyn chases after Joe, Henry VIII chases after Jun...

If it helps...I actually love that period in history I have read novels on the Tudors and Stewarts War of the roses period, and studied the costuming to the point of drawing up patterns of gowns to make them...I have only every reproduced on Tudor gown...(A gown warn by Princess Elizabeth when she was 13) my sister reproduces art from that time frame...so your not alone in the world...I just never studied it for a career move...

So if you write a ficce I'll read it!!!

By the way...welcome welcome welcome welcome

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 11-02-2008 at 11:57.
No new posts 11-02-2008 11:55 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: