Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » The Need to Win.
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Need to Win.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer
The Need to Win. Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Just how competitive are you?

No new posts 15-06-2004 16:54 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

None at all.

now you know why you never see me in the arcade

No new posts 15-06-2004 17:39 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I like to think I'm not competitive. But I also know that I'm lying to myself, it's just that a lot of the time I don't mind losing as long as I'm not actually last.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 15-06-2004 18:05 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

I'm competitive enough to try my hardest and be dissappointed in a loss, but not enough to go insane over it. It also depends on what exactly I'm competing in. For example, I'll spend a while in the arcade, but if I'm not first, that's ok. However, I will work extremely hard in piano and organ competitions.

No new posts 15-06-2004 18:12 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ah, who was I fooling? Seems I am competitive enough to have taken back my karting crown.

Eat my smoke Condor!
Driving Driving Driving Queen Tank

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 15-06-2004 20:55 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer

Depends on the activity. If it has anything to do with my strengths then it is important to win or at least come close to the top.
If it is one of my weaknesses, then I am happy as long as I am not dead last.
But I don't consider myself a sore loser. It's just not worth getting crazy over. Healthy competition is always fun.

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 15-06-2004 22:01 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

ROFL 2

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 15-06-2004 22:18 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Im competitive enough to be willing to try and to want to be good and know as much as possibly about the job I do to be of help.

Other than that having lived with people whose competitiveness turned into addictions that hurt people I guess it showed me how people sometimes cant see the balance or realise the hurt they cause.

Guess that means Im not really competitive.

No new posts 16-06-2004 18:18 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Berg Katse Berg Katse is a Female
Pleather Goddess

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2001

spacer

I'm terribly competitive. Comes with lack of self-esteem and sense of insecurity. The idea of beating someone at anything gives me an emotional high--that I'm good enough, that I have some ability, etc. Of course, my sense of competition only triggers itself in rare occassions. For the most part, I'm completely defeatist and assume I'm going to fail before ever doing anything--and thus, sometimes I never even bother doing whatever it was I was going to do.

Heh, I grew up with the idea that unless you did something perfect and great and better than anyone else, it wasn't worth doing. Reminds me of Homer Simpson's quote:

Homer: "See? No matter how hard you try you still failed. "
Bart: "So what's the point?"
Homer: "Never try."

Katse

No new posts 22-06-2004 22:57 Berg Katse is offline Send an Email to Berg Katse Homepage of Berg Katse Search for Posts by Berg Katse Add Berg Katse to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: Katse (d9yaa@unb.ca)
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Lol Yes! I remember those immortal words too!!

Lets face it Homer is a philosophical giant.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 22-06-2004 23:46 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer

D'OH!

As for myself, I'd say the only time my competitive streak rears its ugly head is when I feel like someone is being unfairly beaten down- Would that be unhealthy competition?- When that happens, I get competitive out of an overblown sense of fair play and indignation.

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 23-06-2004 00:38 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ah, true words of wisdom as once again provided by the impressive genius that is Homer Simpson. Truly moving.

Buffy, I'd say that that's the best kind of competition. Standing up for someone else is never wrong (unless you're murdering everyone who so much as looks at the person funny. Then it's a little overboard. ^_^). Rather, it's quite admirable. If everyone stood up for everyone else's rights, there wouldn't be many problems, would there?

No new posts 23-06-2004 02:17 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Gosh...that makes me sound saintish...eep! Not I, said the little red hen! LOL

Seriously, thanks! I never really thought of it as being admirable....more like I gotta have a large ammount of balance in my life. Too much perceived underhandedness or self glory (esp. at the expense of others) just pushes buttons with me. Much more enjoyable to watch folks pass the tooty-horn off to others with a little grace than to play it themselves eh?

More importantly...we should give all honor and glory to Homer. Maybe start a religion around him...like that 'Elvis' religion in California.

"Oh Homer, for these donuts we are about to receive may we be truely thankful...D'oh-man....."

And next up for his testimonial....Brother Elvin...

No new posts 23-06-2004 03:45 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Didn't Homer start his own religion at one point? Because he was fed up of Marge dragging him to church? Or because there was some kind of tax break on him being a deity?

Buffy, does that count as competitive? Competitive is trying to win for oneself (even if in some way it's another who wins, so that in kiddie beauty pagents it's the kid who technically wins, but the mom who feels the glory), whereas what you're describing sounds more like altruism. Which is a virtue, I'm pretty sure.

No new posts 23-06-2004 05:32 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hmm. Yeah...You're right. On both counts. (And GOD I hate Kiddie Beauty Pagents! The evil bane of the South US. Must. Resist. Smacking. Those. Moms.)

Nah, I'm not competitive. As for altrusim....I dunno. The urge to commit violence against rabid insane self-glorifyers surely can't be considered altruism....unless clearing the gene pool is like, considered a good and selfless act? LOL LOL!

Who knows....either way, you're right. I'm not competitive.

No new posts 23-06-2004 11:33 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Every time I see one of those diaper commercials, I thank my mom for not doing that to me. O.o There can be nothing worse than knowing that everyone has seen your naked rear, no matter what age you were at the time.

And all those poor kids who think that the only form of beauty is to be thin, tall, etc. It infuriates me to see parents do that to a kid's self-esteem.

No new posts 23-06-2004 12:51 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: