Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » It's snowing again Yupeee!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « first ...  « previous  2  3  [4]  5  6  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page It's snowing again Yupeee!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yes, and all those heat spells you send up in the summer. Smile

No new posts 02-01-2008 23:26 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'll make note of this for next year.... Wink1

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 02-01-2008 23:34 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori
I'll make note of this for next year.... Wink1

Please do .... I hate that humid heat you send up from the Gulf of Mexico.

No new posts 02-01-2008 23:40 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

spacer

So do I. It's one of the many reasons I moved back north from Florida.

I'm now responsible for sending you Nor'easters... Of course you guys do also send those darn Alberta Clippers our way....

No new posts 02-01-2008 23:42 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes I believe one of those Alberta Clipper is on its way for next week.

Where we will be having 12c and rain by the middle of the week.

*Cloud waves sadly Bye, Bye Snow.....*

No new posts 02-01-2008 23:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Sosai X Sosai X is a Male
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here's some snow pics I took when I was visiting my parents over Christmas. We had a bit of snow but it wasn't too cold (unlike now in Toronto *g*).

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 02-01-2008 23:56 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That is a beautiful area Tim.
Looks a lot like my parents place in Leith with the stream flowing through. Actually they have a river that empties into the Sound but same difference really when it looks so nice.

No new posts 03-01-2008 00:02 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

Tim, is just me or it was still snowing in the first two?

No new posts 03-01-2008 00:03 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

There was always snow falling over Christmas. Not sure about where Tim's parents live but at my parents there was.

It is called Lake Effect Snow. You can have beautiful sunny weather one moment and the next, snow can be drifting down, or roaring past depending on what the wind is doing.

No new posts 03-01-2008 00:25 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ya, the first two pics it was snowing when I took them. My parents live near Kingston, Ontario in the region that is known as a 'snowbelt' (because of cold air currents on Lake Ontario, the area gets more snow than normal).

As for that last picture... that is a small creek (or as my grandmother would say, crick). The creek was much larger when I was a kid but it has shrunken quite a bit. It travels next to my parent's property and then under the main street and it used to come out across the street but these days it is underground.

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 03-01-2008 00:37 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Pssst Tim, are you sue the creek has gotten smaller?
Or is it just that you have gotten larger. Ummm .... Taller. Smile

No new posts 03-01-2008 00:41 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Pssst Tim, are you sue the creek has gotten smaller?
Or is it just that you have gotten larger. Ummm .... Taller. Smile

LOL! I knew someone was going to make that joke. Smile No, it has physically become smaller while I have gotten taller (and wider). When I was a kid, the whole back area (in that last pic) from the picnic table to the small bridge was marsh and the creek was at least twice as wide as it is now. Ah, fond memories of almost drowning one spring when I fell into the creek. These days you can easily jump across it. Wink

Cheers,
Tim

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sosai X on 03-01-2008 at 01:54.
No new posts 03-01-2008 01:52 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

spacer

Nice pics, Tim! The town (village?) looks so quaint! It must have been a nice place to grow up.

No new posts 03-01-2008 11:41 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Beautiful piccies Tim, it has a romantic feel about it, makes me want an open fire and glass of port to warm up with!

No new posts 03-01-2008 11:58 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Sosai X
As for that last picture... that is a small creek (or as my grandmother would say, crick). The creek was much larger when I was a kid but it has shrunken quite a bit. It travels next to my parent's property and then under the main street and it used to come out across the street but these days it is underground.

We used to have many little creeks running through Burlington and the city has covered many of them up...claiming that they were too dangerous for kids...or they made ugly fenced-off concrete storm drains to let the water drain away quickly.

Hell we used to have a creek running right through my elementary school playground! We used to do our biology experiments in there or climb the old willow trees that grew around it. Nope sorry kids... Nature is too dangerous for you so we're going to rip out all of the trees and fill it in with a sewer pipe. The thing that really pisses me off is that it is still called Rambo Creek!

No new posts 03-01-2008 12:33 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by kimiko
quote:
Originally posted by Sosai X

We used to have many little creeks running through Burlington and the city has covered many of them up...claiming that they were too dangerous for kids...or they made ugly fenced-off concrete storm drains to let the water drain away quickly.

Hell we used to have a creek running right through my elementary school playground! We used to do our biology experiments in there or climb the old willow trees that grew around it. Nope sorry kids... Nature is too dangerous for you so we're going to rip out all of the trees and fill it in with a sewer pipe. The thing that really pisses me off is that it is still called Rambo Creek!

and now in schools they are telling us we need to bring nature back into the playground. These open fields and paved playgrounds "appearently" are not good for our children's health.

Studies are showing they have nothing to do in those open fields, unless you like to play football or soccer, and the pavement areas in the middle of a hot sunny day can reach temperatures like 40+c at 1 metre off the ground. The height a primary childs brain is at. No wonder these children come in vrom recess with no ability to learn their brains have been cooked.

The program I took says we need to regreen our playgrounds, expecially as our culture is becoming more and more concerened about the reduced ozone. Now try and convince the school boards to put funding towards this. Good luck! (Oh, we will do something when parents start complaining.) You need to plant those trees now, it will take 10-20 years before the trees are grown enough to start shading the playgrounds.

Sorry that was my rant for today.

BTW Kimi was Rambo Creek, Rambo in temperment ?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 03-01-2008 at 15:54.
No new posts 03-01-2008 15:53 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

*grins at CD remembering that was a big joke when the movie came out*

If by 'temperment' you mean 'a raging river' ...Generally No. Not to say that it couldn't be dangerous during the spring thaw..but that's what adult supervision is for.

I do remember some talk of a 'rabies' scare one year and there were rats, but no animal is going to stick around when 400 or so recess-loving, noisy kids have been let loose from their cages!

Or the water was polluted...or Acid Rain...Then there's always the threat of West Nile virus...so after all the pesticides...are they going to cull the birds too?

I understand the peanut butter/food allergy concern...but to ban it completely?

How many of you old fogies remember this?

"THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCASTING SYSTEM....THIS IS ONLY A TEST!"
*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Yeah like getting under your desk was somehow going to save your ass from nuclear fallout! LOL!

No new posts 03-01-2008 17:04 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by kimiko
*grins at CD remembering that was a big joke when the movie came out*

If by 'temperment' you mean 'a raging river' ...Generally No. Not to say that it couldn't be dangerous during the spring thaw..but that's what adult supervision is for.

I do remember some talk of a 'rabies' scare one year and there were rats, but no animal is going to stick around when 400 or so recess-loving, noisy kids have been let loose from their cages!

Or the water was polluted...or Acid Rain...Then there's always the threat of West Nile virus...so after all the pesticides...are they going to cull the birds too?

I understand the peanut butter/food allergy concern...but to ban it completely?

How many of you old fogies remember this?

"THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCASTING SYSTEM....THIS IS ONLY A TEST!"
*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Yeah like getting under your desk was somehow going to save your ass from nuclear fallout! LOL!

Or from bullets flying during a lockdown from a gun crazed idiot.

And yes! I remember that test signal.

No new posts 03-01-2008 17:15 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

In Australia children aren't allowed to play outside if they don't have a hat and sunscreen on. Thats all year round in some parts of the country. Skin cancer is very high here, and just because you have olive skin doesn't mean you won't get skin cancer.

Too much cement will increase the heat, we tend to have much more grassed areas in schools, even if the grass is brown most of the time!

No new posts 04-01-2008 06:53 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
In Australia children aren't allowed to play outside if they don't have a hat and sunscreen on. Thats all year round in some parts of the country. Skin cancer is very high here, and just because you have olive skin doesn't mean you won't get skin cancer.

Too much cement will increase the heat, we tend to have much more grassed areas in schools, even if the grass is brown most of the time!

I have heard that about the hats and sunscreen Ebony. It surprises me that more parents here in North America do not do this.

I had thought the seminar I went to mentioned Austraila, maybe it was NZ, was a leader in Greening their school playgrounds and planting trees and shrubs around the play equipment so the children do not have to play in the full rays from the sun.

No new posts 05-01-2008 00:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
« first ...  « previous  2  3  [4]  5  6  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (9): « first ...  « previous  2  3  [4]  5  6  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: