Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Fun Forums] »You Gotta See This! » Langwidge
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Langwidge
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Langwidge Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Got this forwarded on to me today, I rather like it. Dunno who it's by, of course.

Hints on english pronunciation for foreigners

I take it you already know
of tough and bough and cough and dough.
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, laugh and through.
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps.

Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead-it's said like bed, not bead.
For goodness sake, don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat.
They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.

A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for pear and bear.
And then there's dose and rose and lose
Just look them up--and goose and choose.
And cork and work and card and ward.
And font and front and word and sword.
And do and go, then thwart and cart.
Come, come I've hardly made a start.

A dreadful language? Man alive,
I'd mastered it when I was five!

Lol

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 20-09-2007 12:44 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It certainly explains why people find English so hard to learn!

No new posts 20-09-2007 13:12 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

*giggles* Oh Meridian that is so true

No new posts 20-09-2007 13:18 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

Oh BRILLIANT!!!

Flash is always bitching about English and all the broken rules of grammar and pronunciation and ... ya know

I gotto show this to Flash!

He is Vietnamese by birth (you wanna know a tough farking language to learn? Try Vietnamese - god damn that's a toughie!) and although his first language is now English ... he still bitches about it.

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 20-09-2007 13:18 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
It certainly explains why people find English so hard to learn!

Well, I find it a pain to pronounce. "th" & "gh" sound weird with romanian accent Just do't show that thing to my Teachie.

No new posts 20-09-2007 18:34 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm sure you sound sexy and exotic, speaking English with a Romanian accent! gossip

No new posts 20-09-2007 22:00 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by SJ_SwanJun
Oh BRILLIANT!!!

Flash is always bitching about English and all the broken rules of grammar and pronunciation and ... ya know

I gotto show this to Flash!

He is Vietnamese by birth (you wanna know a tough farking language to learn? Try Vietnamese - god damn that's a toughie!) and although his first language is now English ... he still bitches about it.

SJ

Found thiis couple of years ago on another website but found it on Youtube.

Sorry, but I don't speak English

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Metaliant on 20-09-2007 at 23:45.
No new posts 20-09-2007 23:34 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
I'm sure you sound sexy and exotic, speaking English with a Romanian accent! gossip

Here's a song sang by romanians. First 30 secs are also in romanian.

CLICKY!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by amyltrer on 21-09-2007 at 13:41.
No new posts 21-09-2007 13:38 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I love that, Amy! thumbsup2

No new posts 21-09-2007 14:13 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Thank you for sharing Amy

No new posts 21-09-2007 16:15 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Laugh1

That was good Amy!!

No new posts 22-09-2007 00:47 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

It conforts me when I'm trying to stay away from chocolate!

No new posts 22-09-2007 08:43 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

So funny, Amy! "Give me the food!!" caked

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 22-09-2007 14:49 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I think the accent is great! And now I'm thinking about chocolate.... Wink

No new posts 22-09-2007 16:15 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

Ohh, TJ, looks like you have a romanian gene in you!

No new posts 22-09-2007 16:20 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amyltrer
quote:

Possibly... my Dad comes from a part of Russia that is now the Ukraine... who knows who married into his family over the centuries?

No new posts 22-09-2007 17:00 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

Well, Ukraine is next to Romania, so who knows, maybe you have moldavian ancestors!

No new posts 22-09-2007 18:00 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amyltrer

pound
I am not sure loving chocolate is necessarily a Romanian thing, says Cloud a huge lover of chocolate. I mean, look at the Swiss.

Then again, I am not exactly sure of my origin, my grandfather was adopted when he was a baby, so who knows where he originated from. Maybe I have Moldavian ancestors as well. *shrugs* It would explain the love of chocolate.
Although, I am told my last name is more German in origin.

No new posts 22-09-2007 18:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Although, I am told my last name is more German in origin.

We have Germanic population in the northern part of the country.

No new posts 22-09-2007 20:42 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

I can tell you that my mum's 100% from Nottinghamshire, my dad's father was born in Ayrshire in Scotland and us Scottish Russells branch (I'm not Scottish by birth though) came orignally from Normady. Did you know that the word Norman meant Norseman as in Viking.

My dad's mother's father came from Newtown in Wales and my dad's mother's mother came from the West Midlands.

Because of the invasions of the Romans and the Angles, Saxons and Juntes, who came from what is now Germany, god only know's what other nationalities I am from.

No new posts 23-09-2007 15:02 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
[1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (7): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: