Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » A Few Brief News Items
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page A Few Brief News Items
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
A Few Brief News Items Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

Just a few quick updates for you.

The first is the news about Gatchaman Crowds. As has already been noted here in another thread, the series has proven popular enough that it will be returning! At this point, the only solid info is that the series will be called "Gatchaman Crowds Second," and that it will air once again on NTV. I think they should have gone with "Gatchaman Crowds II," and then a third series could have been "Gatchaman Crowds Fighter," but maybe that's just me. No staff or voice cast has been announced, though it is expected that the major players from the first series will be involved. No premiere date has been set, but it's safe to say that it will be sometime in 2014. Anyway, more news when it happens!

In the meantime, you can enjoy this banner announcing the new series that has appeared on the Gatchaman Crowds website:

Second, the release date for the Sentai Filmworks Gatchaman Blu-Ray and DVD releases has been pushed back to December 10th. So, while you won't be able to watch them on Halloween, you should be able to enjoy them over the holidays.

Lastly, Sentai Filmworks has also announced that they will be releasing the Time Bokan OAVs, titled "Time Bokan: Royal Revival," with a new English dub and subtitling. These OAVs are notable for Gatchaman fans because the Nambu and the Science Ninja Team appear briefly in the second of the two OAVs that will be on this disc (Along with numerous other classic Tatsunoko characters). Also, Katsuji Mori and Kazuko Sugiyama returned to voice their roles as Ken and Jun. As Time Bokan is a comedy, the characters have some funny moments that are well worth watching. You might recall that these OAVs were released here in 2005 by U.S. Manga Corps. You might also recall that their dub was fairly awful and their subtitles were even worse (Calling Hurricane Polymer "Polymer, the Mecha Gorilla?"). Sentai won't have to work hard to raise the bar on that one. According to Sentai's press release, these OAVs will be "available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014."

Just as a reminder, here's the cover from the U.S. Manga Corps release:

And that should bring you up to date on things you ought to know!

James

No new posts 29-10-2013 17:35 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thank you so much, James! Now I know what to ask for my birthday (even if it will be a couple days late) and for Christmas. (Pleeeeese, Santa? I swear I had nothing to do with that Stormageddon thing that's terrorizing Europe!)

No new posts 29-10-2013 19:01 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The Time Bokan DVD is definitely interesting, from many perspective. And it's more than just 'one brief appearance', as the SCience Ninja Team shows up in a later scene, with quite a bit of focus on Ken and Jun, particularly Jun.

Very worth watching!

No new posts 29-10-2013 23:21 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

I'm very much looking forward to the Gatch Blu-ray release (especially since I missed out on the old ADV DVD's). Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
The Time Bokan DVD is definitely interesting, from many perspective. And it's more than just 'one brief appearance', as the SCience Ninja Team shows up in a later scene, with quite a bit of focus on Ken and Jun, particularly Jun.

Very worth watching!

Really? I might have to give it a go. Smile

No new posts 29-10-2013 23:34 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

The Time Bokan cover says 'Special Guest Star Ken from Battle of the Planets'. How could they make that mistake?

No new posts 30-10-2013 00:54 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

IDK, is it some kind of anime spoof?

No new posts 30-10-2013 07:26 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by KT1972
IDK, is it some kind of anime spoof?

I can't speak for the original series, but the spinoff Yatterman is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5Hw7g-Sj4

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 30-10-2013 at 14:11.
No new posts 30-10-2013 14:08 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

oh dear...poor Jun!! Lol...

No new posts 30-10-2013 14:15 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite

So I'll let James step in here as the expert on all things Tatsunoko, but this is not a spinoff of Yatterman. It's actually an early predecessor to Yatterman, and came at least a decade (perhaps 2) before the more recent Yatterman, with which you may be familiar.

No new posts 30-10-2013 17:17 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite

So I'll let James step in here as the expert on all things Tatsunoko, but this is not a spinoff of Yatterman. It's actually an early predecessor to Yatterman, and came at least a decade (perhaps 2) before the more recent Yatterman, with which you may be familiar.

Nono1 Uh, TJ, I didn't say Time Bokan was a spinoff. Yatterman is.

No new posts 30-10-2013 18:16 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer
RE: A Few Brief News Items Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan Second, the release date for the Sentai Filmworks Gatchaman Blu-Ray and DVD releases has been pushed back to December 10th. So, while you won't be able to watch them on Halloween, you should be able to enjoy them over the holidays. James

I've read online that people who ordered through rightstuf have stated they've already received their orders, or have received notice their orders have shipped. Eek1

No new posts 30-10-2013 21:55 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:

Okay, a pocket history of the Time Bokan shows. The original "Time Bokan" was a comedy series that ran for 61 episodes on Japanese TV in 1975 and 1976. The show featured heroes and villains who travelled through time -- the heroes searching for the lost inventor of their time machine and the villains searching for the rare dynamond -- and the goofy adventures they had in different histoical periods. In short order, the three villain characters became more popular among viewers than the heroes, and more and more of the stories focused on their antics and eventual defeats by the heroes.

Time Bokan

The series was popular enough that, after it ended, it was followed immediately by a sequel series, "Yatterman." The heroes of the series were Yatterman 1 and Yatterman 2, but the true leads in the series were once again the villains. These villains were essentially modified versions of the villains from "Time Bokan," looking the same but wearing new outfits, given similar sounding names, and using the same three voice actors. "Yatterman" was very successful, running for 108 episodes over 1977 to 1979.

Yatterman

"Yatterman" was followed up by another sequel, "Zendaman." Like "Yatterman," "Zendaman" had new heroes facing off against modified versions of the same villains (Slightly different look, similar names, same voice actors), and lasted a year between 1979 and 1980 (52 episodes). "Zendaman" was followed by "Otasukeman" (1980 to 1981, 53 episodes), which was followed by "Yattodetaman" (1981 to 1982, 52 episodes), which was followed by "Ippatsuman" (1982 to 1983, 58 episodes), and "Itadakiman" (1983, 20 episodes). All these shows followed similar patterns of pitting the heroes against modified versions of the same three villains in comedic battles, with the villains as the true stars of the show. These seven series were grouped together under the umbrella title "Time Bokan Series."

Zendaman

Otasukeman

Yattodetaman

Ippatsuman

Itadakiman

Following "Itadakiman," the "Time Bokan Series" went on an extended hiatus. Tatsunoko made several proposals for more follow up series, but none made it to a production stage.

By the early 1990s, the OAV market was well established in Japan, and fans of the "Time Bokan Series" shows were adults who were nostalgic for their childhood favorite. This led to the 2 volume "Time Bokan: Royal Revival" OAV series, released in 1993 and 1994. It is these two 30 minutes tales that are being released here. The first volume has the villains from the seven "Time Bokan Series" shows face off against each other in a race, with the winners being the stars of the second volume in the series. The second volume has those winners in a story where they go to the Tatsunokon Kingdom and encounter the stars from a number of different Tatsunoko shows.

Time Bokan: Royal Revival

The "Time Bokan Series" added a new chapter in 2000 (26 episodes), when TV Tokyo aired "Kiramekiman." After that, the "Time Bokan Series" went into hiatus again until 2008, when a remake of "Yatterman" was produced. This series ran for 60 episodes over 2008 and 2009. It was while this series was airing that the live action "Yatterman" movie was released in 2009. The "Time Bokan Series" franchise has been taking a rest again since then, but it is likely that this rest is only temporary.

Kiramekiman

Yatterman

This is only the main highlights of the overall "Time Bokan Series" shows, and doesn't include the various movies, the radio show, the comics, and more, but you get the idea. As you probably guessed, the original "Yatterman" is far and away the most popular show from the run. Whenever there are any sort of polls regarding which tatsunoko production is the best, it's always aneck-and-neck race between "Gatchaman" and "Yatterman."

I hope this helps at least a little.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 02-11-2013 at 07:39.
No new posts 02-11-2013 05:43 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you, James! It helps a lot! And I learned a lot from reading through this!

No new posts 02-11-2013 16:09 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Wow. I had no idea it was that extensive. Thanks James for the info.

No new posts 02-11-2013 18:21 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Always many thanks for your precious and kind info, James! You always keep us on track!

No new posts 09-11-2013 16:16 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

I always learn something new from you, James! Thanks!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 09-11-2013 22:55 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: